BrickDabbler

Third party mini compressor for pneumatics?

Hi all,

I am wondering about if any of you fellow forumers have any experience with using third party 9v dc air compressors with LEGO Pneumatics...?

(No advert intended, random sample picture of above mentioned system just to clear things up, the system in question draws around 350-400 milliAmps and generates about 80 Kpa/ 0.8 bar, which i know is on the lower side of performance, but this is why i ask here...)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEbMKcIMMXnBV8tWhVANf

I have made several well (or less so well) working all-LEGO buildt pumps, and as you might guess this alternative would be way more usefull and convenient.
I am personally amazed how TLG does not provide by default such a system, it could well live side-by-side with common brick-buildt pumps and i am sure it would
be appreciated by Moc builders and AFOL users.
We have motors allready, how about mini compressor for convenience and efficiency?

Thanks in advance for any comment and/or advice!

Any more powerfull suggestion in this size or similar would be very helpfull...

I do have experience with that kind of motors/pumps, they are also in a Non-Invasive Blood Pressure measuring device. I don't use them for LEGO purposes right now but it would be doable. They generate quite some pressure, are not very load and are quite easy to control (I use a darlington pair transistor setup + Arduino compatible board). B.t.w. I use them at 5V and for a blood pressure cuff that is powerful enough. There are also tiny valves available that also help. I use a PM3V5050 pressure sensor to monitor the pressure of the system.

16 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Someone did this.

Thank you much for this YT clip, i`m surprised the shown pump looks very similar to my sample system, i guess i could have searched YT before myself with proper wording, omg... :laugh:

@Mechbuilds, since such a small pump fits anywhere freely i see no dire need for a custom dedicated housing...  They don`t even vibrate much, so strapping them hidden inside a construction with few rubberbands should be well sufficient... but well the looks, nothing for purists, i know.

I am just worrying about the performance under realistic load, just moving two unloaded pistons is not that impressive, i`ll investigate further on such devices with preferable higher pressure around 1,5 to 2 bar which seems to me a reasonable value worth the buy and testing...

Thank you all for your replies so far :classic: