In the past 2 months I've been working on a mobile crane.  I initially started with the Liebherr 1350-6.1 but then decided to add another axle and go for the 1400-7.1 

For reference I'm attaching an image of the Felbermayr livery I'm going for. I think blue is a nice alternative to the usual "yellow" technics mocs/cranes!

01-1430d800.jpg
image share

Some of the features:

• integrated pneumatic suspensions (currently this crane can run both on pneumatics or normal shock absorbers)
  • 7 solid axles of which 6 are steered and 5 are driven
  • studded design (although the axles themselves are built in studless technique) 
  • as many details as possible (I haven't completed this MOC yet so at this stage there is room for adding more)
  • decals/stickers where needed
  • 2 or 3 Sbricks (1 in the carrier and 1or 2 in the upper structure)
  • 2 L motor for driving
  • 1 L motor for steering
  • 1 M motor to extend the outriggers 
  • 1 M motor with autovalve to lower/raise the outriggers pneumatics. 

At the moment only the carrier has been completed digitally, upper structure to follow

The chassis itself it's a 5 studs tall/thick and should provide enough rigidity.   

SUSPE0000-5.png

As you can see the outriggers take quite a lot of space, both driving and steering shafts had to go either below or above them!

rtrttrtr.png
upload pictures

SUSPE0000-4.png

rtrttrtr-5.png

rtrttrtr-7.png

Here a view of all the axles: currently showing pneumatic pumps but given how much they cost I've decided to use standard shock absorbers

SUSPE444.png

More renders. 

SUSPE.png

SUSPE0000-3.png

hosting images online

SUSPE0000-2.png

SUSPE0000-6.png
image sharing sites free

finished-cabin.png

Hope you've enjoyed this. Will start building it soon hoping everything goes smooth! Then will develop the upper structure and share more images. 

Cheers, TheItalianBrick! 

First you have posted great solution for leaf spring based suspension and now this; honestly I don't know which of this two projects is better. I really like how it started and I'm looking forward to se how it looks build in real life.

Very interesting project! I love the progress so far. I kind of miss the front lights... 

Will you be using the 62.4x20 wheels (my deduction)? 

Keep up the good work! 

36 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

First you have posted great solution for leaf spring based suspension and now this; honestly I don't know which of this two projects is better. I really like how it started and I'm looking forward to se how it looks build in real life.

Thanks Igor. Feel free to have a look at my other MOCs on my bricksafe page (link in my signature)

34 minutes ago, grego18f said:

Very interesting project! I love the progress so far. I kind of miss the front lights... 

Will you be using the 62.4x20 wheels (my deduction)? 

Keep up the good work! 

Front lights will be added as stickers to be honest. And yes 62.4 wheels. 

33 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Looking very promising indeed :wub:

Thanks Jeroen!!!

@TheItalianBrick Forklift looks great... I did not notice tread on EB dedicated to it, so if you have more work in progress images it would be nice to see them

Edited by I_Igor

Looks brilliant. Same with the colour selection. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

15 hours ago, I_Igor said:

@TheItalianBrick Forklift looks great... I did not notice tread on EB dedicated to it, so if you have more work in progress images it would be nice to see them

You mean more work in progress images of the crane? The Forklift is a 2016 MOC that I've completed and all the images are in my bricksafe folder Igor. 

6 hours ago, bonox said:

Looks brilliant. Same with the colour selection. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Thanks a lot. 

19 hours ago, TheItalianBrick said:

For reference I'm attaching an image of the Felbermayr livery I'm going for. I think blue is a nice alternative to the usual "yellow" technics mocs/cranes!

Yellow is nice, it's also the color of the cranecompany where I live.
But ... this blue color looks great too. 
the Rendering looks very promising already. Looking forward to the rest of the renders / build.

Hi, very beautiful and well-designed renders! Looking forward to the upcoming progress!

1 hour ago, TheItalianBrick said:

You mean more work in progress images of the crane? The Forklift is a 2016 MOC that I've completed and all the images are in my bricksafe folder Igor. 

Thanks a lot. 

I was hoping for more WIP images of forklift (was in brickshelf folder and downloaded what I found interesting :classic:), but for crane I'm sure they are under way...

Hi guys,

I've added a couple of more images to my bricksafe folder to show some progress. I've also phisically built the drivetrain with all the 7 axles and started building the chassis. No photos yet as I'm waiting for an order of parts to arrive first.

Here the link as usual: https://bricksafe.com/pages/TheItalianBrick/liebherr-1400-7.1-mobile-crane

The 2 main boom pistons are fantastic and I was able to make them relatively slim using a technique I believe never used before. Will reveal more details next post. 

Cheers

Its great to see a new crane MOC. Fantastic progress so far, love the color scheme. Looking forward to seeing more progress, especially once you start to build it. I'm intrigued how the pistons are going to work.

I'm afraid the turntable you've picked is going to cost you a lot of trouble. It has significantly more friction that the newer 60-teeth turntable and in your project it's not supported in any way, so it has to handle the entire superstructure all on its own.

7 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I'm afraid the turntable you've picked is going to cost you a lot of trouble. It has significantly more friction that the newer 60-teeth turntable and in your project it's not supported in any way, so it has to handle the entire superstructure all on its own.

Not really. The new turntable can only be rotate from the outside and that's not an option for me. Also my upper structure will have wheels to help rotate so it's not actually unsupported. But time will tell....there is always room for improvements. 

Well... rotating a heavily loaded turntable from the inside is not a good solution in my experience. And I suspect you'll need some cables going through it, too.

7 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Well... rotating a heavily loaded turntable from the inside is not a good solution in my experience. And I suspect you'll need some cables going through it, too.

I do agree don't get me wrong. I'll try this first and see. 

Why cables? All the cables for lifting and extending the main boom are in the upper structure. Or you mean PF motors cables? Sorry....

58 minutes ago, TheItalianBrick said:

Or you mean PF motors cables? Sorry....

Yes. There's not much room inside a turntable once you put a gear inside it for driving.

2 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Yes. There's not much room inside a turntable once you put a gear inside it for driving.

No need to have any cable/wires going through it.  The lower chassis has a battery and an Sbrick with 4 functions.  The upper structure has 2 battery and 2 Sbrick for 8 functions.  Everything is separated.