Roadmonkeytj

[MOC] One Ring Circus Train

I have fond memories of the Circus.  It was always an event that you didn't miss.  I was fortunate enough that not only did I see Barnum's Troup I got to see several other smaller circus acts that would travel through our neck of the woods.  The big top was always a spectacular thing to watch.  I've wanted to build a circus train for some time now.  I recently got ahold of several pictures of the early days of the Cole Bros. Circus loading and unloading.  So I took to building.  Mind you this is not a full train as they would have upward of 50 to 80 cars but I wanted something to represent them all in a smaller package!

cage.lxf

To give a brief history the animals would always be directly behind the engine as it was the smoothest ride. The Elephants cars were always taller than the others.  There were two types of horses in a circus.  The show horses and the work horses would be behind the Elephants.

cageb.lxf

The menagerie animals would be transported in their cages on smaller shows then given "Yard time" at the lot. I've included some iconic menagerie animals that Lego produces.  Black panther, monkeys, black bear, tiger, and the lion.

cagec.lxf

What circus is complete without a Calliope? This would have been train whistles with a keyboard.  Then loaded with some "picture wagons" these would hold props and costumes and have a painted picture on the side.  (Custom decal).

caged.lxf

Then the meat and potatoes.  The work wagons these would hold the tents and other supplies.  I've build an early work truck (a mix of a Mack and a Pierce)

cagee.lxf

Finally bringing up the rear would be the entertainers I've built a custom baggage and two sleepers (no interiors) to represent these. Some circus trains would have up to 20 of these cars.

cagef.lxf

As circus was hauled as freight the railroad would always tie a caboose on the back. (The ladders will be curved onto the the roof with some inserted brass.)

cageg.lxf

Hope you enjoyed the train ... I'm not sure when I will get her in brick as she is over 9000 bricks and I'm trying to convert to MILS

Comments and Criticism welcomed!

Absolutely gorgeous train. Love the detailing on the wagons and carriages (plus period pickup truck), all with a great steamer.. it's like the 7777 concept brought right up to date and rooted back to the early circus, wonderful.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:11 AM, Thai bricks said:

Very well done and I hope we get to see it in brick one day.

Thank you me too

On 12/8/2019 at 10:26 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Forget MILS, build the train! (grin) Looks great.

Haha you know it's tempting lol

On 12/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, dr_spock said:

Nicely done.  What's the tractive effort on the steam engine? 

0-6-0 currently based mostly off THIS design.  Not sure if I will leave it pulling this one but it looks good for now.

12 hours ago, bricks n bolts said:

Absolutely gorgeous train. Love the detailing on the wagons and carriages (plus period pickup truck), all with a great steamer.. it's like the 7777 concept brought right up to date and rooted back to the early circus, wonderful.

Thank you.  I actually had to look up the reference as I had forgotten about the circus train in it lol but realistically it's based off of photos like this:

54.jpg

On 12/8/2019 at 3:27 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Hope you enjoyed the train ... I'm not sure when I will get her in brick as she is over 9000 bricks and I'm trying to convert to MILS

Comments and Criticism welcomed!

Critism ? none :classic: Looks great.
Like the whole thing actually.
Nice colors, details (wings and stuff) looks great. Cool truck and cages too. It's a good looking combination.

ps. what is MILS?

only the loc, it seems to be a bit 'small' for all those wagons?

Edited by neonic

5 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nice design! I like the color scheme on the Pullmans!

Thank you! Circus cars were always painted to "draw attention" however by the time they were gutted and refitted with three bunks high there wasn't much ”pullman" left lol

4 hours ago, neonic said:

Critism ? none :classic: Looks great.
Like the whole thing actually.
Nice colors, details (wings and stuff) looks great. Cool truck and cages too. It's a good looking combination.

Thank you very much!  Even early wagons had ornamental woodworking I'm glad that conveys.

ps. what is MILS?

See here for a discussion

only the loc, it seems to be a bit 'small' for all those wagons?

This would be a switching locomotive 0-6-0 (had it already built in LDD) most freight was hauled by 2-8-0s by the era I'm representing.  I'm still working on a larger engine.  Unless your implying it won't pull it.  I have seen this design pull 30 cars at a show without issue (ball bearings installed). I plan on installing ball bearings as well since these cars will have some decent weight.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The whole convoy is fantastic and well designed! :wub:
I've no criticism for you, the only thing I can say is: reduce the number of replicated wagons, so you can built it with real lego :wink:

Thank you ... Really I could only drop 4 cars.  And I've compressed it already ... Small circus usually had 10 - 20 cars