MarkoZorec

iPad vs Mac for programming Mindstorms EV3

Hello...

I am currently using Mac app (LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 HOME EDITION) for learning/programming my Mindstorms EV3... 

I am thinking to buy an iPad for my son to learn programming the EV3 - is iPad app the same like mine on Mac? What would be the differences?

Thank you...

Marko

The EV3 iPad app has the following limitations compared to the desktop application:

• It does not not have any Sensor tab. There are no programming blocks for reading sensor values. Sensor values can be used in If-then and while-loop blocks, but cannot be stored for later use.
  • It does not have any tab for advanced actions and dataoperations. You are unable to do any calculations etc.
  • It does not support datawires.
  • it only supports EV3 sensors. You will be unable to add programming blocks to NXT sensors, if you have those.

I think a child would be able to build great programs with the iPad app. However if you are going to build programs which require any form of calculations, storing of values etc. The desktop app would be needed.

Edited by Munchkin255
Fixed typo

In spring 2020, LEGO should be releasing an iOS version of their new Scratch-based programming app. This app is somewhere between the current iOS app and the desktop app in terms of capabilities (e.g. you can get sensor values and do math). The Scratch-based app is currently only available for macOS, but LEGO has announced that support more OSes are coming.

3 hours ago, David Lechner said:

In spring 2020, LEGO should be releasing an iOS version of their new Scratch-based programming app. This app is somewhere between the current iOS app and the desktop app in terms of capabilities (e.g. you can get sensor values and do math). The Scratch-based app is currently only available for macOS, but LEGO has announced that support more OSes are coming.

Can you share a link to that app? I'm surprised by how active the EV3 development still is

It kind of depends on the macOS you are using. If you upgraded to macOS Catalina (10.15) you can‘t use the Mac app anymore. Since the app is written in 32bit code you have no chance of running it on Catalina Macs.

Does anyone know if the MINDSTORMS software will be revised / rewritten to work with Catalina? I was more than a little cheesed when I saw the cutesy white no-go sign on MINDSTORMS icon.

@Tcm0 Thanks. I obviously didn't check in earnest.

Looks like they just scooped some version of Scratch. At first glance, ... I think it looks dismal.

Is it just my impatience with the software, or is there actually no way to download preset blocks (e.g., Energy Meter Block, Gyro Sensor Block, Sound Sensor Block, Temperature Sensor Block, and the Ultrasonic Sensor Block)?

Edited by Bline

They are calling it "pre-release software," so I guess that accounts for the minimalist (aka non-existent) features.