As modeled after previous years' discussion topics, share and discuss your thoughts on this year's best and worst offerings from The Lego Group, as according to the below posted criteria:

• Best Theme:
  • Best Minifigure/Figure:
  • Best Set:
  • Worst Theme:
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure:
  • Worst Set:
  • Most Anticipated for 2020:

If you'd like to discuss the best and worst of recent years past, here are each of their respective discussion topics:

Best Theme: Hidden Side

Best Set: 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg!

Best Minifigure: Jack Davids(love the hat/hood piece)

Worst Theme: Technic

Worst Set: Anything Technic(sorry Technic fans :tongue: just not my thing)

Worst Minifigure: CMF Firefighter

Most Anticipated for 2020: A toss up, 10270 Bookshop & 75267 Mandalorian Battle Pack...both ends of the price spectrum there. :laugh:

Best Theme: The LEGO Movie 2

Best Set: Pop-Up Party Bus

Best Minifigure: Bear Costume Guy

Most Anticipated for 2020: Bookshop... plus one other one I can't mention just yet. :grin:

Best theme: Hidden Side

Best minifigure: CMF Johnny Thunder

Best set: UCS Batmobile or The Upside Down

Worst theme: Marvel Super Heroes

Worst minifigure: Mercy (75975)

Worst set: Wooden Minifigure

Most anticipated for 2020: the theme that is rumored to be coming back "in a big way"

3 hours ago, icm said:

the theme that is rumored to be coming back "in a big way"

wut?

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

wut?

There is a rumor that Pirates might be coming back "in a big way" in 2020. But it's just a rumor, nothing is confirmed.

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

There is a rumor that Pirates might be coming back "in a big way" in 2020. But it's just a rumor, nothing is confirmed.

Exactly.  That's why I didn't say it right out, because it's an exciting rumor but there's no substance to it yet.

Best Theme: Hidden Side

Best Minifigure/Figure: n/a

Best Set: 70828 Pop-Up Party Bus (so much fun to build and play)

Worst Minifigure/Figure: n/a

Worst Set: 41363 Mia's Forest Adventures (just a plain joke)

Most Anticipated for 2020: Book Store, Asian Seasonal Sets (so far)

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

Best Theme: Creator

Best Minifigure (do minidolls count?): Sweet Mayhem

Best Set: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander

Worst Theme: Minecraft

Worst Minifigure: Jack Skellington

Worst Set: Central Perk

Most Anticipated of 2020: Bookstore

Worst thing to happen in the Lego world 2019: Brickset forcing logins

Best Theme: Hidden Side

Best Minifigure/Figure: Donald Duck's 3 nephiews... I think they should count. I mean it is the same figure in three different colours.

Best Set: Hidden Side School Bus.

Worst Minifigure/Figure: Rainbow bear from cmf 19. In my opinion the worst Minifigure ever created.

Worst Set: Big wooden Minifigure

Most Anticipated for 2020: Mandalorian Battlepack!

Best theme: Hidden Side

Best minifigure: Executioner from HP (hp183)

Best set: 77903 Batman vignette. I don't own the "set" but BL'ed it. It is a fantastic little skyline vignette with some play features too. Otherwise a toss up between the Lunar Lander and the 1989 Batmobile (neither of which I own yet).

Worst theme: Lego Originals (one awful set) but if I am not allowed that then Collectable Minifigures - two licensed sets with little interest for me, then a fairly poor non-licensed one. When only about 4-5 out of 60+ sets interest me, it has to be poor.

Worst Minfiigure: Monica from Friends / Central Perk or most of CMF S19 if only as they could have been so much better and we end up with that Carebear, pizza man, gardener, mountain biker, fire fighter, dog sitter, etc.  And Frozone from Disney CMF has to be up there too.

Worst set: Wooden minifigure 853967

Most anticipated for 2020: Nothing much yet. Probably the Mandalorian Battle Pack. Or maybe the un-licensed CMF S20 but I imagine it will be contender for worst set of 2020 (like S19 above).

Edited by MAB

Why do so many people say that Technic was the worst theme of this year? I get it that it doesn't appeal to everyone, but still, there have been so much worse themes this year...

2 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Why do so many people say that Technic was the worst theme of this year? I get it that it doesn't appeal to everyone, but still, there have been so much worse themes this year...

Probably because there are no constraction sets this year and technic is the most "non-system" left.

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

Nothing in Technic appeals to me, so that’s why I said it. Even themes I don’t care for necessarily have some fun sets(think that Caterpillar bus sets from Trolls). I just prefer the System sets with minifigures. 

• Best Theme: Modulars
  • Best Minifigure/Figure: The watermelon guy from Series 19 (sorry but I thought it was cute) 
  • Best Set: 10264 Corner Garage - got a chance to play with it and it was actually pretty cool. 
  • Worst Theme: I don't really consider any of the themes to be that low. SKY POLICE! 
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure: The main criminal from the 60210 Sky Police set. He gave me the creeps! 
  • Worst Set: I wouldn't call any set worse. All sets have their pros and cons. 
  • Most Anticipated for 2020: 60256 Race Car Duel - That one is among my first pickups for 2020. 

My picks for 2019.  I haven't given much thought to "worst" yet, as I tend to gloss over uninteresting sets and themes rather than think about them.  

• Best Theme:  Hidden Side.  Despite my initial skepticism, I've grown to appreciate the creativity of the sets, and the use of Augmented Reality to add another "dimension" to the theme.  The YouTube animated shorts are entertaining as well.
  • Best Minifigure/Figure:  Rex Dangervest with Jetpack.  Although I detest the movie character, this minifigure is very awesome in a Mandalorian sort of way.  The dual molded legs and prints of powered armor elements make this minifig a great addition for any SciFi Lego enthusiast.  
  • Best Set:  Emmet's Dream House/Rescue Rocket.  This is one of my favorite spaceship sets of all time.  It's both a cozy home and a long-range exploration vessel with a lot of potential for modification and expansion.    
  • Worst Theme:  
  • Worst Minifigure/Figure:
  • Worst Set:
  • Most Anticipated for 2020:  I'm most looking forward to new 3-in-1 sets and new Harry Potter scenes.  3-in-1 buildings usually have a nice assortment of components and no stickers.  I eagerly await the next round of expansion modules for the current generation mini-figure scale Hogwarts Castle.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Lego David said:

I like technic in general but the sets this year were just extremely bad and/or overpriced in my opinion.

I don't like some lines but they can give me cool prints or moulds like Nexo knights did at least with a lot of Orc body parts and Friends does every year with accessories. Technik didn't do that so it ended up on my last spot.

If you had fun with this years sets i am happy for you :)

My picks for 2019 standouts:

* Best Theme: Creator Expert, when your weakest offering of the year is the 10264 Corner Garage, you have to be doing something right.

* Best Minifig: The new batman that comes with the 76139: 1989 Batmobile, I love the fact that the rubber cowl and cape are just as restrictive as the actual movie costume.

* Best Set: (tie) 10266 NASA Apollo 11 lunar lander and 70668 Jay's Storm Fighter, the former for sentimental reasons, the latter was just a pleasant surprise that I really enjoyed.

* Worst Theme: (get ready to flame me) Hidden Side,  the builds are actually fine, but I take great exception to the smartphone tie-in.  My runner up in this category is the new PoweredUp Control software  system. Give me a dumb battery box with an off switch or an IR remote any day.

* Worst Minifig: (No opinion, not really a minifigure collector)

* Worst Set: I don't know, obviously I didn't buy it

* Most Anticipated for 2020:  Of the offerings so far, probably the 10270 Bookshop, but I'm not exactly holding my breathe in anticipation.  Maybe I'll be overwhelmed by something that hasn't been announced yet, later.

Best theme: Creator Expert/Modulars

Best minifig: The Mandalorian

Best set(s): Jurassic Park T. Rex Rampage and Lunar Lander

Worst theme: Brickheadz - sorry just not into these!

Worst minifig: CMF carebear - just creepy

Worst set: Wooden minifigure

Most anticipated for 2020: UCS Star Wars set(s) and I have no doubt a baby Yoda is coming...

5 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

* Worst Theme: (get ready to flame me) Hidden Side,  the builds are actually fine, but I take great exception to the smartphone tie-in.  My runner up in this category is the new PoweredUp Control software  system. Give me a dumb battery box with an off switch or an IR remote any day.

No flame, maybe a little spark...:tongue: I don’t see why the app would diminish your opinion of the sets themselves. I own the graveyard, boat, & bus. They don’t lack in any way to me not using the app. The only app related downside is the color pieces, but that’s easy enough to do away with. The sets are great & we finally got an actual school bus. 

This is always a fun thread!

• Best Theme: last year I said Harry Potter and this year I still say Harry Potter;
  • Best Minifigure: Demogorgon? Dress Robes Cedric? Zuckuss? Jack Skellington?
  • Best Set: The Upside Down;
  • Worst Theme: although I'm usually underwhelmed most by Architecture, I think the win this year goes to Ideas. Tree house? Flintstones? Central Perk? The only Ideas set that has remotely tickled my fancy this year is the Dinosaur Fossils one;
  • Worst Minifigure: the Pizza Costume Guy CMF is pretty lame;
  • Worst Set: the Shrimp Shack from Hidden Side. The other sets from the theme are lit though;
  • Most Anticipated of 2020: probably the Tatooine wave from SW.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Lego David said:

Well, because the models suck, plain and simple?! You see, I started getting into LEGO only a few years ago with Technic because models like the Claas Xerion or even the Volvo pneumatic excavator appealed to me after I couldn't be bothered with the mostly ugly Technic models that came before (with a few exceptions of course). As far as I'm concerned, we are basically back to this situation: Ugly models undeserving of even qualifying as "technical", half-baked larger models like the car transport or the spider crane where it's painfully obvious that LEGO are cutting corners at every turn and on the other hand sets like the Land Rover or Bugatti that bastardize Technic as their structural basis, but otherwise have very little to do with what many people feel Technic should be about. That and of course the ridiculous price point that puts many of these models out of reach for people who may be inclined. Add on top of that all this nonsense with PoweredUp/ Control+ and its equally overpriced components making even the simpler sets frustratingly expensive and you have a situation where even the most ardent Technic aficionados will be puzzled and aggravated by LEGOs product policies. At least I seriously don't care for Technic in its current state anymore and thankfully I have a sufficient supply of components now to be able to build my own stuff. In the foreseeable future I can't see myself buying any Technic set unless it really offers something unique and special at a sensible price point or wads of cash for brainless indiscriminant spending rain from the sky. That's relly how bad I feel about the situation and hence why I consider Technic the worst theme at the moment.

Mylenium

17 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Nothing to be afraid of. A company that is as inapt in their digital ventures as LEGO while at the same time beating about the bush about it is more than deserving of a bit of anti-love, to put it mildly. If any of their apps actually were any good clearly nobody would complain...

Mylenium

Best theme: Harry Potter, but honorable mention to Hidden Side

Best set: Stranger Things - The Upside Down is my overall fave set, but the Creator Expert Ford Mustang was a marvellous building experience

I'd also like to give props to: 1989 Batmobile, T-Rex Rampage, Apocalypseburg & Ideas Tree House

Most anticipated: Of the sets I know about I'm really looking forward to the Chinese New Year Temple Fair and Lion Dance.