Hello everyone,

today I would like to present the mother of all the rail cranes: the Goliath 2.0 :excited:

goliath2.0-001.jpg

Inspired by Bernopi's project presented on Lego Ideas :wub:, but disappointed that the project did not reach the number of sufficient supporters on the platform, I wanted to make my replica.

My version has some minor differences, such as: the crane cabin, the counterweight chains, the real weights and some different technical solutions for the remaining wagons, but everything is fundamentally similar to the original project.

On the web I found many models of rail crane, both real and toy models, among all this is definitely my favorite! :thumbup:

Instructions and LDD files are available on my Bricklink Store ...enjoy the show!

goliath2.0-002.jpg

goliath2.0-003.jpg

goliath2.0-004.jpg

goliath2.0-005.jpg

goliath2.0-006.jpg

goliath2.0-007.jpg

goliath2.0-008.jpg

goliath2.0-009.jpg

goliath2.0-010.jpg

goliath2.0-011.jpg

goliath2.0-012.jpg

goliath2.0-013.jpg

goliath2.0-014.jpg

goliath2.0-015.jpg

goliath2.0-016.jpg

goliath2.0-017.jpg

goliath2.0-018.jpg

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

I love the way you've managed the sheave blocks.  The double headache is a nice touch as well (that's double hook for those of us who have never been smacked with one of these by a operator)

I will be borrowing ideas and modifying my design ... 

The lead weights do they actually counterbalance or just for show?

6 hours ago, baard said:

Nice, I like it. Any motorization?

No there isn't any motorization because the design and the fun would have suffered :wink:

5 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

The name is very fitting!

I agree ...but let's hope the little David doesn't come with a sling! :laugh:

18 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

The lead weights do they actually counterbalance or just for show?

The counterweights actually counterbalance: in the pictures the spool of electric cable unbalances the crane if there are no parking feet positioned, instead with the weights it returns stable (even without set parking feet) :classic:

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

No there isn't any motorization because the design and the fun would have suffered :wink:

I agree ...but let's hope the little David doesn't come with a sling! :laugh:

The counterweights actually counterbalance: in the pictures the spool of electric cable unbalances the crane if there are no parking feet positioned, instead with the weights it returns stable (even without set parking feet) :classic:

Well without stabilizers employed that would be unsafe operation and they would write you up for a safety violation lmao ... That's awesome that they are functional though!

6 hours ago, Asper said:

Wonderful! Very impressive!

6 hours ago, JopieK said:

Very nice. Great job!

Thanks to both of you Asper and JopieK! :blush:

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

That's awesome that they are functional though!

Counterweights and stabilizers are an integral part of this machine.

The crane couldn't work without them. :thumbup:

Hi Emanuele,

frontpaged your Goliath:snicker: - no just kidding. I certainly would have if I could have ... very nice and very clean and with so much detail! On mostly 6-wide - which I find even harder to do. 

Congratulations - on your Goliath as well as seeing it on the front page.

All the best,
Thorsten

On 12/9/2019 at 4:26 AM, dr_spock said:

Great job.  You captured the prototype quite nicely. 

Thanks dr_spock, compliments are always welcome :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

Hi Emanuele,

very nice and very clean and with so much detail! On mostly 6-wide - which I find even harder to do. 

Congratulations - on your Goliath as well as seeing it on the front page.

All the best,
Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

for over 10 years you have never failed to give me support with your positive comments and helping me by supplying grooved wheels (which among other things I still need :grin:), instructions ...and what else ...you're a precious friend! :blush:
The Goliath is a fantastic model but I want to repeat it: I only did a replica of a masterpiece designed by another.
Regarding the width (apart from the base of the crane 8 Studs wide) I must say that the 6 wide proportions are perfect to make this train lean and fast on the rails.
Finally I learned how to use Stud.io on the advice of @Phil B and I must admit that the sharpness of the rendered images make my other photos really shabby!

...and WOW I'm really on the front page! :excited:

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

frontpaged your Goliath:snicker: - no just kidding. I certainly would have if I could have ... very nice and very clean and with so much detail!

Don't we all agree :) 

@LEGO Train 12 Volts: I am still looking for a great tutorial on Stud.io for LDD folks :)

4 hours ago, JopieK said:

I am still looking for a great tutorial on Stud.io for LDD folks :)

I think that Stud.Io is a great (and easy to use) program, but normally I work with Sdut.io only with file generated by MLCad because in my opinion LDD has too many limitations. :classic:

51 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

but normally I work with Sdut.io only with file generated by MLCad because in my opinion LDD has too many limitations.

Oh yes. That is so true. You can do what you want in MLCad. I use it for the same reason - then import to Stud.io, render and that's it.

Best
Thorsten

I used to work exclusively in MLCAD (and briefly tried LeoCAD) but have fully switched to Stud.io after buying a beefier computer with a GeForce GPU. As I design to build, I love the fact that Stud.io tells you which element/color combinations exist and even better, how expensive they are. Greatly helps avoiding surprises.

First thing I did was remap some keys (using WASD to rotate, arrow keys to move) and after that the learning curve was virtually non-existent, even for someone with almost no prior LDD experience.

Edited by Phil B

8 hours ago, Phil B said:

As I design to build, I love the fact that Stud.io tells you which element/color combinations exist and even better, how expensive they are. Greatly helps avoiding surprises.

And then it makes absolutely sense to use Stud.io.

I am mostly documenting what I build in real bricks - and then may play around with what I ended up assembling in the computer. With larger models I also appreciate very much the Stud.io way of telling me what is "not really" in the right place in MLCad - provided I did not want it to be not in the right place.

And for the rest: Never change a running system, I believe. As log as it goes smoothly ...

All the best
Thorsten 

Alas for Mac users there are only limited options these days, I don't like to start Windows for such a things (only if I really have to). All those Mac apps are still 32-bit and can't run on modern versions of the OS anymore. Stud.io is 64-bit so that is great.