leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

Recommended Posts

On 12/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, Vindicare said:

What would be cool, and to continue with the “107” numbering is to use the corresponding colors in the other townhouses, if possible.

That's a neat idea! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well it would work, at least if you wanted the buildings to be numbered consecutively like on most streets. The closest practical color to recolor the set to would be 106 Bright Orange. Before that the nearest widely used color that would be feasible to recolor the townhouse in would be 102 Medium Blue, while after 107 the nearest prevalent color is 119 Bright Yellowish Green/Lime. The placement of Bright Bluish Green is smack dab in the middle of many 90s to 2000s colors that were used briefly before being retired, so there are very few of them that would offer a wide enough selection of basic bricks (let alone more specialized bricks) to recolor an entire modular in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The set looks cool but for me, it's huge expensive.

Seems like the average design of brickcitydepot (it's not bad because they are good designers, but it doesn't have the creator expert essence).

Things that surprise me are, the high (very short), not tiled floors, only 5 minifigures, not special pets, no car.

For me, it's a real decrease of quality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, El Garfio said:

The set looks cool but for me, it's huge expensive.

Seems like the average design of brickcitydepot (it's not bad because they are good designers, but it doesn't have the creator expert essence).

Things that surprise me are, the high (very short), not tiled floors, only 5 minifigures, not special pets, no car.

For me, it's a real decrease of quality.

 

Many previous modulars had 5 minifigs (BB, PR...), Pet Shop or Green Grocer had only 4. Special pets? What about bird and chmeleon? Arent they special enough? And regarding design - have you build it already? It has many advanced techniques never used in official set before... so what r u complaing really? Perhaps u dont have many experience with this series but every new modular has more and more creative approach... price is good comparing last year CG. If u count in inflatuon proce is ok compared to the previous sets which was 169 USD and before back in 2011-2013 159 USD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The denosted previous one:

10264-1.jpg?201812030159

Plays with the 1x1 roof slope, has tiles used in vertical, uses hinches, what new construction thecniques has the new one?

maxresdefault.jpg

P1026036.JPG

Double price, not double volumen.

 

 

 

Instead of using this part:

4179576

They use 5 parts.

There is a lot of 1x1 parts even more than in Lego Classic sets

With that filosophy, it's not difficult to arrive to 2500 parts quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Garfio said:

The denosted previous one:

 

Plays with the 1x1 roof slope, has tiles used in vertical, uses hinches, what new construction thecniques has the new one?

 

 

Double price, not double volumen.

Instead of using this part:

They use 5 parts.

There is a lot of 1x1 parts even more than in Lego Classic sets

With that filosophy, it's not difficult to arrive to 2500 parts quickly

Just looking at the pictures we have, the arch over the bookstore entrance is a new technique, the angled stairs, & the bay window appears to be fairly different as well. As you pointed out, the candlestick stacks, which is a lot sleeker than the one piece you showed. Then we have the interesting techniques of the slant roof on the townhouse & the triangle tiles used as floor detail in the sidewalk. Plus whatever else we get once we actually build the thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, El Garfio said:

The denosted previous one:

 

Plays with the 1x1 roof slope, has tiles used in vertical, uses hinches, what new construction thecniques has the new one?

Double price, not double volumen.

We don't know what techniques are used in the new set, and the Creator shops are always very shallow. The Book Shop may not be double the height, but it will be double the depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
6 hours ago, El Garfio said:

 

Double price, not double volumen.

Double price? How so? I am not sure what r u complaining about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, El Garfio said:

The denosted previous one:

Plays with the 1x1 roof slope, has tiles used in vertical, uses hinches, what new construction thecniques has the new one?

Double price, not double volumen.

Instead of using this part:

4179576

They use 5 parts.

There is a lot of 1x1 parts even more than in Lego Classic sets

With that filosophy, it's not difficult to arrive to 2500 parts quickly

What on earth are you on about?!

None of the techniques you praise Corner Garage for were new at the time - we already had modulars that 'played with hinges' (Pet Shop, Green Grocer, Assembly Square, Palace Cinema...) or used tiles in vertical (almost all of them!). The 1x1 roof slope was new at the time, so of course that exact piece had not been used before, but pretty much every modular uses 1x1 pieces of some sort or other as decoration! Though none before or after managed to do so to such a bland effect as CG...

And you don't see new techniques in BS? Open your eyes. There'sWthe decorated arch over the book shop's entrance - that's a technique that has never been used in an official build before. Then there's the candles to fill the gaps in the bay window - also never seen before. And lots of smaller details, while not flashy in their looks, still rely on advanced techniques aswell. The stairs in the townhouse, for example, or its roof, which is not exactly a spectacular technique but still it's another approach they had not used yet.

 

"Double price not double volume" is a ridiculous statement with no basis whatsoever - BS is ~10% CHEAPER then CG.

 

And finally, why and where should they use that column piece you posted? Building things up out of small pieces is one of the core principles of Creator.
Besides, just a few lines above you positively highlighted that CG relied heavily on the 1x1 roof slope for detail - and when BS heavily relies one the 1x1 rounded double slope piece, it's bad?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RogerSmith said:

What on earth are you on about?!

None of the techniques you praise Corner Garage for were new at the time - we already had modulars that 'played with hinges' (Pet Shop, Green Grocer, Assembly Square, Palace Cinema...) or used tiles in vertical (almost all of them!). The 1x1 roof slope was new at the time, so of course that exact piece had not been used before, but pretty much every modular uses 1x1 pieces of some sort or other as decoration! Though none before or after managed to do so to such a bland effect as CG...

And you don't see new techniques in BS? Open your eyes. There'sWthe decorated arch over the book shop's entrance - that's a technique that has never been used in an official build before. Then there's the candles to fill the gaps in the bay window - also never seen before. And lots of smaller details, while not flashy in their looks, still rely on advanced techniques aswell. The stairs in the townhouse, for example, or its roof, which is not exactly a spectacular technique but still it's another approach they had not used yet.

 

"Double price not double volume" is a ridiculous statement with no basis whatsoever - BS is ~10% CHEAPER then CG.

 

And finally, why and where should they use that column piece you posted? Building things up out of small pieces is one of the core principles of Creator.
Besides, just a few lines above you positively highlighted that CG relied heavily on the 1x1 roof slope for detail - and when BS heavily relies one the 1x1 rounded double slope piece, it's bad?!

Dont feed trolls :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Instead of using this part:

4179576

They use 5 parts.

There is a lot of 1x1 parts even more than in Lego Classic sets

With that filosophy, it's not difficult to arrive to 2500 parts quickly

That part would not even work for the same purpose as the columns in this set. It's too thick. The candle piece introduced this year is thinner than a full brick. That's the reason why this set was able to close up that gap between the hinged windows where earlier sets like the Pet Shop could not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I don't realize how small the town house section of this new modular is.  Not going to lie that is kind of a disappointment.  Already thought the PR was on the small side, its even smaller.  I like how TLG has made the modulars with varying roof heights, just never thought they would go shorter then PR.  Guess not going to display it between the GG and CC.  Will have to wait and see once I build it what the best remedy is.  This picture just really caught me by surprise.  Like the build, just wish it was a bit taller.

 

P1026036.JPG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

Wow, I don't realize how small the town house section of this new modular is.  Not going to lie that is kind of a disappointment.  Already thought the PR was on the small side, its even smaller.  I like how TLG has made the modulars with varying roof heights, just never thought they would go shorter then PR.  Guess not going to display it between the GG and CC.  Will have to wait and see once I build it what the best remedy is.  This picture just really caught me by surprise.  Like the build, just wish it was a bit taller.

 

P1026036.JPG 

I think it would look good on the other side of the PR. so the Birch tree is by the staircase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PR looks bigger than the BS because of the design. Starting in the 2nd floor the are 8 studs of empty space up to the roof and and in the BS that's not the case. It the PR didn't have that empty space and used it to make the 2nd and 3rd floor bigger I don't think it would be as tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of talk in the thread about size / price / piece count, so rather than respond to anyone in particular, I thought I would just throw my two cents worth in.

Firstly, the size of the buildings – or rather the height. Yes, the the apartment in particular is “short” compared to other modulars, but you have to remember that unlike an MOC, these things are built to a budget – and therefore built to a piece count.

The biggest aspect that affects the piece count in this set is the fact that we have two independent buildings. Two buildings means two dividing walls, which means that there are less pieces available for other things.

With this limitation in place, you have two options: smaller or less detail. The apartment has compromised a bit on both of these – the basement is pretty empty and it is reduced to a crawl space. Personally, though, I prefer this to the way that the other split modular got around this – the Pet Shop, which had the completely bare apartment “under renovation” in order to not have to put in interior detail.

Detail versus size has also been compromised in other sets. Everybody loves the Parisian Restaurant now for its detail, but at the time it was well noted that this detail came at the cost of building volume – it was a clearly smaller than those that came before it. The Corner Garage was criticised for the empty ground floor and the rather plain exterior (even though it actually took a lot of tiles and other parts to achieve the look). Look back further and you’ll see that the Palace Cinema was pretty empty and that interiors were not even important enough to include on the first modulars.

Every set put out is a compromise between competing wants. You want a big, impressive building that looks good on display? Fine, but don’t expect hundreds of small parts chewed up in creating detailed facades, or forget about the interior (which most people won’t even get to see on your shelf). You want intricate builds with all the new pieces (most of which are small), then don’t expect it to be big.

This set will not please everybody. No set can. So if you don’t like it, then it’s probably because one of the compromises goes too far for your taste. Personally, I really like it. Is it perfect? Of course not. Do I appreciate it for what it is? Yes. Will I be getting my kids to build it from the instructions before learning from it, completely modifying it and then using it as a parts pack for other things. Definitely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But people are saying that you can't compare the BS with the Bike Shop and Café and the secong floor of both buildings of BS are 12 studs depth (10 stud habitable). Bike shop and café floors are 9/10 depth (7/8 stud habitable but no stairs)

And the space on the attic of both BS buildings are ridicolous (seem more from a cheaper creator building).

Bike shop and Cafe price was 70-80€ (I know, it's a 2014 price. I have at home four unopen that I bought for 40€ each but that is not relevant) and BS is marked as 160€

With 2 Bike shop and Café you can build something bigger that BS (not as detailed of course) with 1023 * 2 parts

BS has 2504 parts but there are an abuse of 1x1 parts (and this is not the common Brick and more/classic set that you buy por having spare small parts)

Maybe Lego should add the weight of the box because number of parts every year is more misleading for comparing sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the book store. The birch tree is a nice add, but I think it is too tall. Compare it to every other modular tree and it is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, the older trees are terrible, but this really stands out.

The townhouse is so tiny, not only in height, but also depth. I don't know what to make of it. I'm sure I'll have to modify it some if/when I buy this. I've been over the modular bug for a while. I still love building modular MOCs, just not the official sets.

The colors are interesting, and while I don't mind them, I am torn on the azure windows with the teal building. I love the roof detail though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding size, the two sides of this modular (when combined) are roughly comparable to the shorter and taller sides of the Detective's Office. So it might pair well with that building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had too look twice when I read that the houses were partly influenced by Dutch style houses, but then I saw the Bookstore it self had a sort of Clock Gable (dutch: Klokgevel)

The title of the Bookstore has maybe also a double message as in history people used birch bark as paper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_bark_manuscript

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 10:43 PM, Wout said:

I had too look twice when I read that the houses were partly influenced by Dutch style houses, but then I saw the Bookstore it self had a sort of Clock Gable (dutch: Klokgevel)

But in the Netherlands painting your house teal when it's next to a brick coloured house would be illegal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, alois said:

But in the Netherlands painting your house teal when it's next to a brick coloured house would be illegal.

The Teal House is likely inspired by the Painted Ladies in San Fransisco, but the facade style on the Book Store certainly has an Amsterdam look to it, but of course those are LEGO sets with sometimes bright colors.

634679_poster_l.jpg

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 12:14 AM, alois said:

But in the Netherlands painting your house teal when it's next to a brick coloured house would be illegal.

I don't think Lego would know that.

Market Street had also a very unusual colour for a dutch old style house, but I had the idea people didn't find it a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.