leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

4 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

It has a lot of books, they're just brick-built

Yes I know that. They're on the shelves, I wasn't the one who said there was only one book. I was addressing the one printed book.

Since I started collecting modulars in 2015 (after coming out of my «dark age»), the Bookshop is the first modular that I have ordered on release day.

I just got it in the mail, and I am very excited to build it. Not building it until the weekend though. Keeping it in the box just a little while longer to enjoy the look and feeling of an unopened lego set :)

On 1/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, Bainter-ban said:

Since I started collecting modulars in 2015 (after coming out of my «dark age»), the Bookshop is the first modular that I have ordered on release day.

I just got it in the mail, and I am very excited to build it. Not building it until the weekend though. Keeping it in the box just a little while longer to enjoy the look and feeling of an unopened lego set :)

I have about 150 unopened sets and I'm sick of looking at them. haha

9 hours ago, Maple said:

Ditto, hence I’ve put my unopened ones into plastic boxes

On 1/17/2020 at 11:38 PM, Maple said:

The solution to this problem is obvious. :laugh:

Edited by gotoAndLego

On 1/18/2020 at 5:38 AM, Maple said:

You Monster!

On 1/17/2020 at 11:38 PM, Maple said:

Well open them and build them then! :laugh:

14 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

The solution to this problem is obvious. :laugh:

Open a Bricklink store? :tongue:

11 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I would but then I have no room for them built. Plus I've checked some of the prices of the unopened sets and it's insane so then I don't want to open them. I have a 1991 Pirate set that seems to be about $250+ online. A McDonalds' that like $100.

On January 17, 2020 at 11:38 PM, Maple said:

I've got a few hundred unopened sets and I'm getting sick of having no free time to build them.  I should have seen this coming when I put the 3739 Blacksmith shop set (the first set I didn't at least crack open the day I got it) on my shelf and told myself, "I'm a little busy today, I'll do this later."  Eighteen years later, I've since moved twice, changed jobs twice, bought a house, gotten married, had a kid and I still have that kit in storage.

What's your excuse? :wink:

On 1/19/2020 at 8:19 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Yes this. This is the correct choice. Then once they're built take them all apart and MOC. Just because they're listed above retail price doesn't mean they're actually selling. Open them and build, that's what Lego is for.

2 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yes this. This is the correct choice. Then once they're built take them all apart and MOC. Just because they're listed above retail price doesn't mean they're actually selling. Open them and build, that's what Lego is for.

That was what I thought of when looking at my unopened sets. Just noticed that I had an unopened burger bar set. Used the pieces from that and the monster burger truck to make my own burger truck. 

My OCD says it`s prohibited to take an official set apart after it is built and then use it for MOCs. If the box is opened it must be built as intended from the instructions only and then stay that way. -As it was glued, but that is prohibited as well of course. So that is why I have nearly 1000 unopened sets, because I don`t have space to display or store them built. Parts for MOCs comes from Lugbulk, PaB, B&P and BrickLink. :blush:

@Chilis You've got OCD too. Same here. Let's just say, that's why when I build MOCs, it has to look as though it were an actual set. That's why my buildings are simply, yet detailed. 

34 minutes ago, Chilis said:

My OCD says it`s prohibited to take an official set apart after it is built and then use it for MOCs. If the box is opened it must be built as intended from the instructions only and then stay that way....

Have you considered getting cats (or a toddler)?  I often build according to the instructions and then leave assembled until the powers-that-be (those being small curious hands and/or rambunctious felines) inflict enough damage such that it's easier to scrap for parts than repair (my cats did more damage to the Death Star II than the Rebel Alliance did and my daughter turned the Corner Garage into a one story building with some stray animals living on a pile of rubble.) 

29 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Have you considered getting cats (or a toddler)?  I often build according to the instructions and then leave assembled until the powers-that-be (those being small curious hands and/or rambunctious felines) inflict enough damage such that it's easier to scrap for parts than repair (my cats did more damage to the Death Star II than the Rebel Alliance did and my daughter turned the Corner Garage into a one story building with some stray animals living on a pile of rubble.) 

Haha, I have 4 kids, thank you :iamded_lol:. The same OCD says kids is prohibited, at least near the Lego city. They have their own Lego and I close my eyes and pretend it don`t happen.

Back to topic: It`s OK to add more floors to a modular tho, -floors built out from the instructions of course. Happy that #10270 allows add-ons!

Just now, Chilis said:

It`s OK to add more floors to a modular tho, -floors built out from the instructions of course. Happy that #10270 allows add-ons!

I find it a bit ironic that, when people like the scale and design of a modular, they buy one, build it and move on.  When people are unhappy with the design or scale, they buy multiple copies of the set as a ready supply of matching bricks so they can add extra stories or make grander MODs.  In the end, they wind up spending more money on (and bumping the sales figures of) the modulars they take issue with than they do on the ones they like out of the box.  - sigh -

15 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

I find it a bit ironic that, when people like the scale and design of a modular, they buy one, build it and move on.  When people are unhappy with the design or scale, they buy multiple copies of the set as a ready supply of matching bricks so they can add extra stories or make grander MODs.  In the end, they wind up spending more money on (and bumping the sales figures of) the modulars they take issue with than they do on the ones they like out of the box.  - sigh -

Absolutely right.  I’m guilty and admitted that much in a Lego review on their website.  One other reason I buy extra sets is when I think the size of a building doesn’t match its stated purpose.  I expanded the BB to 64 wide and added a story.  The TH was expanded to 96 wide with an added story.  The PR was left ‘as is’.  I haven’t felt a need to do that with Lepin sets as most of them I like are single purpose buildings that have the presence of a Grand Emporium or Palace Cinema.  

A little obsessive about it myself, too.  If I want a set for pieces, I'll have to buy two so that I can build one and use the parts from the other.  I do enough PAB walls, bulk orders, brick boxes, and bricklink shopping that I have a huge collection of parts to build with, though.  Although, like a lot of others, I have more LEGO than space to display it or time to build it.

I have a handful of sets still waiting. But then I realize I likely will "never" build it, so then the next question is -- sell on, or part out. Especially when you see the value of something that is beyond what you'd expect.

But I don't think I've ever added onto a Modular yet. I tend to design my own, sometimes using designs or pieces from the official sets. But since everyone has the official sets, I figure I'd rather have something unique. So I hadn't bought two of any modular. I'd rather just buy pieces individually since I wouldn't be needing ALL of the pieces to modify the set (but I don't do that so..)

I think the bookstore provides a nice diversity of size in the overall modular city.  I’ve come to the conclusion that while it’s not too small for my modular city, it is too small to be the annual modular release.  It would have been a nice mid-year surprise as opposed to being our annual release.  It was reasonable to expect something more significant (larger, grander)  for the annual release than what we got. While I’ve expanded BB, GE and TH, I’ll probably leave bookstore as is.  I suppose some years are better than others. 

4 hours ago, Options said:

I think the bookstore provides a nice diversity of size in the overall modular city.  I’ve come to the conclusion that while it’s not too small for my modular city, it is too small to be the annual modular release.  It would have been a nice mid-year surprise as opposed to being our annual release. (...snip...)

This raises an interesting alternative.  I could totally get behind the idea of a 32-wide, three story, single building modular each January and second, smaller but equally complex (building technique & detail-wise) 16 wide release each summer.  The summer release would clearly have to be more sophisticated and have the same look and feel of a "normal" modular release to qualify as a Creator Expert set and not just another Creator 3-in-1 house or City offering, but it would allow collectors more options to draw from in laying out their modular street scenes and, at a price point that reflects the smaller footprint, it might open up the line of Modulars to more people for whom $170+ is just too much to spend on a single kit.

LEGO looked into doing two small modulars a year, they realized it wouldn't work out so that's how we got the Pet Shop.

I opened one of the sets, the Saturn V, no one will complain it's too small. :laugh: And it's the second wildest build ever. The first one is the transforming Nexo Knights Horse.

Edited by Maple

Okay, so I just finished building this set last night and it's a nice little build; the problem is that "little" really does describe it.  The facade of both structures is lovely; I liked the grandfather clock and the overstuffed easy-chair.  The brick-built spiral stairs were a refreshing change of pace from yet another instance of "the staircase piece."  But it just didn't _FEEL_ like a Modular to me; it felt more like a couple Creator 3-in-1 houses.  There is some interesting stuff going on with the building facades but nothing about it screamed "expert builder" to me (and the other three walls are basically a box, not exactly pushing the boundaries of basic building there).   

I think I would have liked it better if it had just been a full width bookstore (with a cafe and reading area on the ground floor, that's fine - and realistic these days) and more interior details.  I could have done without the townhouse, but if it's going to be there at all, the basement should be tall enough for a minifig to stand in and the whole thing should have an extra story.

As I said, nice details, okay look by itself, but the building experience just didn't feel right for our annual modular and the finished product looks a bit puny.  The 10228 Haunted House from Monster Fighters and 75827 GhostBusters Firehouse Headquarters felt more like Modular "building experiences"  than this did.  

No offense to the designer intended, but I'm a bit disappointed.

The previous post is the perfect review of 10270. Thanks for being able to express it in a clear, coherent manner.....something I was struggling with.   But, you nailed it.  Thanks.