leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

I recieved the bag of bricks. Colors were way off on the orginals

Edited by swilk00

I noticed something weird after rewatching the Designer video once I finished building the set.that little plant area on the back of the townhouse had four of those round 1x2 plates instead of the two the set had. 

I have just noticed something....

Modulars still use baseplates. Not that it bothers me. I was just making that observation. 

Edited by pooda

10 hours ago, pooda said:

Modulars still use baseplates. Not that it bothers me. I was just making that observation. 

I'm confused. Why wouldn't they? What's strange about that? Many big sets does.

12 hours ago, pooda said:

No wonder President Business is still in charge over there :hmpf:

Edited by Roebuck

On 1/5/2020 at 3:32 AM, Hive said:

I'm confused. Why wouldn't they? What's strange about that? Many big sets does.

I think most creator sets, including winter village and city type sets (like the new Townhouse Toy Store, as well as most like it from the past few years) have all used regular plates, which make them not match with modular buildings.

Personally, for roughly the price of a baseplate, you can get four 16x16 plates on bricklink; it's what I've been using instead.  I still have older modulars that I have not done this with (they are already built), but new ones (for the past few years) are getting four 16x16 plates as their base instead, and for the Old Fishing Store, too.

1 hour ago, El Garfio said:

Advanced Techniques o "illegal"?

r7xia4.png

How so?  It's not under stress, and should hold well once completed.

Edited by fred67

10 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Advanced Techniques o "illegal"?

just a clever SNOT technique perfectly legal

I built the Bookstore today.  I’m not building the residential side as it’s too small for my liking and I have better residential MOCs.  Having built all modulars, the Bookstore building is my favorite since Palace  Cinema.  No stupid stories about cookies and no laundry attached to a bank.  However, there is a certain feeling that the designers took a year off.  I enjoyed the Bookstore build and appreciated techniques and parts used to create the face of the Bookstore.  With that said, I could use a nice 3,000 piece single themed building.  Like the Barnes Noble/Starbucks that wasn’t produced by Lego ideas.  Or some of the 3,000-4,000 piece sets that are offered by other manufacturers.  The apartment side of 10270 makes me think, as the saying goes, they ‘mailed it in’ and didn’t put in much effort into that side of 10270 other than selecting some unusual colors. 

2 hours ago, Options said:

I built the Bookstore today.  I’m not building the residential side as it’s too small for my liking and I have better residential MOCs.  Having built all modulars, the Bookstore building is my favorite since Palace  Cinema.  No stupid stories about cookies and no laundry attached to a bank.  However, there is a certain feeling that the designers took a year off.  I enjoyed the Bookstore build and appreciated techniques and parts used to create the face of the Bookstore.  With that said, I could use a nice 3,000 piece single themed building.  Like the Barnes Noble/Starbucks that wasn’t produced by Lego ideas.  Or some of the 3,000-4,000 piece sets that are offered by other manufacturers.  The apartment side of 10270 makes me think, as the saying goes, they ‘mailed it in’ and didn’t put in much effort into that side of 10270 other than selecting some unusual colors. 

How can you say they didn’t put effort into something you didn’t even bother building? Because it’s too small for your liking? 

This is totally subjective by the very nature of my comments.  I can say they ‘mailed it in’ because I can look at the picture and thumb through the instructions and make my subjective decision without wasting time on building it. I’m not part of the ‘everything that Lego does is awesome’ cult.  

Edited by Options

8 hours ago, Vindicare said:

How can you say they didn’t put effort into something you didn’t even bother building? Because it’s too small for your liking? 

I agree with this.

the bookshop is the main build. We all know that. But it is great they made a smaller building next. They look great together. And i bet that building the house is more fun than looking at the pictures tell you.

This is totally subjective by the very nature of my comments.  I can say they ‘mailed it in’ because I can look at the picture and thumb through the instructions and see it doesn’t have any place in my city. I’m not part of the ‘everything that Lego does is awesome’ cult.  

My comments are purely my opinion. I make no claims they are based in ‘fact’.  Not trying to be objective, just opinionated. Just stating preferences.  No need for the usual knee jerk reaction of defending whatever Lego produces. 

OBJECTIVE AND SUBJECTIVE CLAIMS

An objective claim is a statement about a factual matter-one that can be proved true or false. For factual matters there exist widely recognized criteria and methods to determine whether a claim is true or false. A subjective claim, on the other hand, is not a factual matter; it is an expression of belief, opinion, or personal preference. A subjective claim cannot be proved right or wrong by any generally accepted criteria

The smaller house “half” of the set works really nicely in my layout as it gives me a good building to use for transition between my modular neighborhood and my row of Creator houses so I am quite happy with it.  It also is quite a nice traditional looking building  in its own right with no gimmicks which again suits where I have placed it.

As much as I really like the corner garage from last year it was much more of a challenge to place in my layout without looking out of place. You need the mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous in a town.

Edited by rriggs

On 1/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, SollX said:

just a clever SNOT technique perfectly legal

As clever as use a mini clothespin and attach anything you want

50-Light-Blue-Mini-Clothespins-Favor-Gif

13 hours ago, Options said:

This is totally subjective by the very nature of my comments.  I can say they ‘mailed it in’ because I can look at the picture and thumb through the instructions and see it doesn’t have any place in my city. I’m not part of the ‘everything that Lego does is awesome’ cult.  

My comments are purely my opinion. I make no claims they are based in ‘fact’.  Not trying to be objective, just opinionated. Just stating preferences.  No need for the usual knee jerk reaction of defending whatever Lego produces. 

An objective claim is a statement about a factual matter-one that can be proved true or false. For factual matters there exist widely recognized criteria and methods to determine whether a claim is true or false. A subjective claim, on the other hand, is not a factual matter; it is an expression of belief, opinion, or personal preference. A subjective claim cannot be proved right or wrong by any generally accepted criteria

Nobody is commenting on your opinion...but you didn’t say “I don’t like it because it won’t work in my city.” Which is totally valid, it’s not an easy building(as it’s intended purpose of being a house) to place. But to say, as you did, “they didn’t put much effort into that side” is unjust because you can’t gauge the effort put into something you didn’t bother building. There’s no knee jerk reaction nor me saying or implying that anyone needs to love everything they release. I certainly don’t. 

Okay, so I took the advice from some and built the cute little house.  Granted, it has some interesting construction techniques that I haven’t seen on other modulars.  However, we only get one modular building a year.  I expect something with a lot more impact.  This would have been okay as a ‘mid-year’ bonus modular.  But the bookstore and the under sized house are not what I expect for the annual main release. The bookstore has been done better by an AFOL (and, subsequently, Lepin)  and the house is, well, extremely undersized.  

I’m wanting a single themed 2,500-3,000 piece annual release that has a more substantial presence in a modular city. 

Edited by Options

2 hours ago, Options said:

Okay, so I took the advice from some and built the cute little house.  Granted, it has some interesting construction techniques that I haven’t seen on other modulars.  However, we only get one modular building a year.  I expect something with a lot more impact.  This would have been okay as a ‘mid-year’ bonus modular.  But the bookstore and the under sized house are not what I expect for the annual main release. The bookstore has been done better by an AFOL (and, subsequently, Lepin)  and the house is, well, extremely undersized.  

I’m wanting a single themed 2,500-3,000 piece annual release that has a more substantial presence in a modular city. 

Glad you built the house, but I agree with you.  It seems that this modular is about piece count and not size.  I like the little house, but it seems to be an addition to make the modular line.  The bookstore has only 1 book?  Why not make a bigger bookstore that takes up two floors with an apartment on the top similar to others or maybe the offices up there.  It feels like the designers have really tried to cram it all in for the last few modular sets.  And the businesses really don't fit together.  Maybe its just me but I still love the Fire Brigade best of all, one building, all fire department, the truck, the building, etc...it worked.  Now we just get a lot of stuff crammed in and they take one business to be the main thing and call it that.  How can a bookstore only have 1 book!!!!

2 hours ago, Herky said:

How can a bookstore only have 1 book!!!!

Well to be fair it is a really good book.

Spoiler alert!

Its a story of insanity and revenge centering around a builder named Platehab who's totally obsessed with bricks; particularly with one brick coined 'Moby Brick' whom he stepped on one time and it really messed up his foot and or leg so now he has a prosthetic foot and or leg made out of other bricks of course. Anyway Platehab sends his fellow builders into harms way all to get back at that one brick he stepped on and Brickshmael is like "yo, you going fanatical over this brick, Platehab! Just let it go we've all stepped on bricks!" and Platehab responds in agony saying "arrrrgh the brick got me again!" and Platehab succumbs to his brick-induced foot wounds. That's basically the gist of it. The end.

I give it 5 stars.

15 hours ago, Options said:

Now this I agree with. I miss the single use buildings. I don’t really mind the multi use ultimately, but I would prefer single. It just made the building more cohesive. The only one it realistically worked was on the Detective’s Office. 

On 1/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, koalayummies said:

Well to be fair it is a really good book...

It has a lot of books, they're just brick-built; similarly, my Library MOC has six bookshelves of books and four open books which are made from regular pieces. At least Lego isn't claiming that they are books in the same way they called the 1x2 printed tile in Gingerbread House a mini-fig.

I would have liked more than just one of the book pieces.

Edited by gotoAndLego