leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

Did anybody catch the promos in the LEGO January 2020 calendar? LEGO stores are having a building event on the 8th for Newstand to go with the new Modular Bookshop. Doesn't look bad at all, and it'll fill up the lack of space use in the bookshop. But I have no LEGO store close by. :hmpf_bad:

50 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Did anybody catch the promos in the LEGO January 2020 calendar? LEGO stores are having a building event on the 8th for Newstand to go with the new Modular Bookshop. Doesn't look bad at all, and it'll fill up the lack of space use in the bookshop. But I have no LEGO store close by. :hmpf_bad:

Yep. Kinda bummed it isn’t coinciding with the release, when I’ll be at the store. The closest one is about two hours away for me...so driving that a week later isn’t really in the cards. It’s a good looking build. Hopefully the instructions will be made available. It sounds like it’s going to be rather limited though. 

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Yep. Kinda bummed it isn’t coinciding with the release, when I’ll be at the store. The closest one is about two hours away for me...so driving that a week later isn’t really in the cards. It’s a good looking build. Hopefully the instructions will be made available. It sounds like it’s going to be rather limited though. 

Not to mention the new modular will be out of stock by then...

Need pictures! Ok fine I'll do it:

The Brick Show Jan 2020 Promos

crop-5-January-Calendar_Page_1.jpg?resize=768,461&ssl=1

"To celebrate the release of next year’s LEGO Creator Expert Bookshop (10270), LEGO Stores are offering a free make and take build in the form of the LEGO Creator Newsstand. I like the more compact design on this particular newsstand, which somewhat shows a marked improvement on what LEGO offered with the LEGO City Bus Station (60154) back in 2017. Similar to other in-store promos, this freebie will be exclusively available to those who will visit a local LEGO store to participate in this building event. Bear in mind that there are limited spaces available so be sure to sign-up in-store starting January 6. This activity is also intended for LEGO fans and participants ages 15 and above."

You have to go in store on the 6th to sign up and then go back on the 8th to build. Unfortunately every Lego store is in a shopping mall and every time I go to a mall my hands somehow wind up covered in pizza grease and cinnabon goo which makes building difficult. :drool: Its a catch 22.

10 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Need pictures! Ok fine I'll do it:

The Brick Show Jan 2020 Promos

"To celebrate the release of next year’s LEGO Creator Expert Bookshop (10270), LEGO Stores are offering a free make and take build in the form of the LEGO Creator Newsstand. I like the more compact design on this particular newsstand, which somewhat shows a marked improvement on what LEGO offered with the LEGO City Bus Station (60154) back in 2017. Similar to other in-store promos, this freebie will be exclusively available to those who will visit a local LEGO store to participate in this building event. Bear in mind that there are limited spaces available so be sure to sign-up in-store starting January 6. This activity is also intended for LEGO fans and participants ages 15 and above."

You have to go in store on the 6th to sign up and then go back on the 8th to build. Unfortunately every Lego store is in a shopping mall and every time I go to a mall my hands somehow wind up covered in pizza grease and cinnabon goo which makes building difficult. :drool: Its a catch 22.

It’s that damn smell...you can’t walk anywhere close to where Cinnabon is...or you’re done. Fortunately, the mall I go to for LEGO has no of that delicious distractedness nearby. 

I didn’t read about it’s recommended age. It’s nice to see a build event aimed more at the older crowd. 

12 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

It’s that damn smell...you can’t walk anywhere close to where Cinnabon is...or you’re done. Fortunately, the mall I go to for LEGO has no of that delicious distractedness nearby. 

I didn’t read about it’s recommended age. It’s nice to see a build event aimed more at the older crowd. 

Yeah good point, they're normally restricted to kids. Plus I usually look at them and think "I have all those pieces", and then I weep for there are no more pieces to conquer. :cry_happy:

5 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Does anyone know when the car from the contest will be a promo at lego.com? I want to buy the modular on January 1st, but also want that car...

Likely not any time soon. They've now got the winner, but won't have modified the build to be suitable (if necessary) or designed instructions/packaging etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the GWP for next year's modular. 

To give some context, the Lego Moments in Space contest was run in January/February of 2018, but the Space Rocket Ride GWP was not available until June 2019.

So who else is going to be there before opening tomorrow?  I really really wish Lego had a preorder option.  The last time I went in on New Years was during the release of Downtown Diner.  It was not too hard to get it, and I assume last year was easier compared to some years with the mixed reviews and price increase of CG.  However, I have a feeling that this thing is going to be on backorder online and the stores are going to be out shortly after opening.  I hope there will be a limit of 1 and there will be some order to tomorrow.  This scaled down Black Friday approach is not for me, but it is really the only way to get one before the regular job starts up again next week.  

1 hour ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I hope there will be a limit of 1 and there will be some order to tomorrow.

Yeah if they don't do this they should. But I avoid release days because of things I've heard.

A member in the general discussion shared a Lego Store visit story where some gross guy went in on a release day and bought all the remaining snow speeder sets they had and made some kid who's parents drove him there on his birthday cry because the guy was so greedy and to top it off the guy then offered to sell one he just purchased to the mother for double the retail price. Absolute garbage.

On 12/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, BrickFit26 said:

I doubt this is going encourage that many people to wait to buy the BS on the 8th, because most of us will assume there will be no BS in stock at that point.  To have both, I would have to buy Bookshop on the 1st assuming it will go out of stock imminently, then go back and register on the 6th (Monday) at the store, only to go back for the build (Wednesday), assuming I was successful on the 1st and the 6th.  I dont even think I would go through that much trouble for a Lego Baby Yoda, let alone a newstand that can probably be mostly made from available parts.  According to the app. I am 26 miles away from the Lego Store, and there are some horribly congested highways between here and there.  Not gonna happen.  

21 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah if they don't do this they should. But I avoid release days because of things I've heard.

A member in the general discussion shared a Lego Store visit story where some gross guy went in on a release day and bought all the remaining snow speeder sets they had and made some kid who's parents drove him there on his birthday cry because the guy was so greedy and to top it off the guy then offered to sell one he just purchased to the mother for double the retail price. Absolute garbage.

I remember the Dallas store enforcing limits before and have never seen anyone try to walk out with multiples on Day 1.  To really ruin everyone's day, you would need some help as big as those boxes are, and probably a van to wipe out the stock for the day.  

2 hours ago, koalayummies said:

That man should have given one to the kid, free of charge. Instead of trying to sell it for double price.

Limit 2, ordered 2. Also ordered new architecture sets.  Busy building AS alternative build from rebrickable.  That’s a fun challenge.

Well, we got there early before opening, and by the time the store opened, I would say there were 20 people in line.  They had maybe 6 BS on the shelf and then they stacked another dozen or so on the floor near the entrance.  When the doors opened, 75% of the stock went right away.  I saw a few still on the shelf when we left, and as of now the store is showing out of stock.  I spent the rest of the day building it.  Definitely, it was a fun build, and there are some new techniques as we would expect to find in the modulars.  The singled roof, Dutch/Flemish gable, the beds, and the variety of useful parts were among my favorite part of the experience.  Hope you all enjoy the build when you get them.  

On 12/31/2019 at 5:01 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

I doubt this is going encourage that many people to wait to buy the BS on the 8th, because most of us will assume there will be no BS in stock at that point.  To have both, I would have to buy Bookshop on the 1st assuming it will go out of stock imminently, then go back and register on the 6th (Monday) at the store, only to go back for the build (Wednesday), assuming I was successful on the 1st and the 6th.  I dont even think I would go through that much trouble for a Lego Baby Yoda, let alone a newstand that can probably be mostly made from available parts.  According to the app. I am 26 miles away from the Lego Store, and there are some horribly congested highways between here and there.  Not gonna happen.

I'm sure LEGO will release the instruction for the newsstand late on for the many that cant make it to a brand store.

Do modulars usually sell out in the first few hours stores open?

I want to pick this one up tomorrow, but am not feeling the same hype that got me to wake up at 6AM to queue up for the UCS Star Destroyer.

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

Do modulars usually sell out in the first few hours stores open?

I want to pick this one up tomorrow, but am not feeling the same hype that got me to wake up at 6AM to queue up for the UCS Star Destroyer.

You can check store stock at Shop@home!

On 12/31/2019 at 4:35 PM, koalayummies said:

I wouldn’t let someone else’s experience stop you from going. I’ve been going to the same store on the first for years now, since they started on that date & it’s been nothing but smooth. 

5 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Well, we got there early before opening, and by the time the store opened, I would say there were 20 people in line.  They had maybe 6 BS on the shelf and then they stacked another dozen or so on the floor near the entrance.  When the doors opened, 75% of the stock went right away.  I saw a few still on the shelf when we left, and as of now the store is showing out of stock.  I spent the rest of the day building it.  Definitely, it was a fun build, and there are some new techniques as we would expect to find in the modulars.  The singled roof, Dutch/Flemish gable, the beds, and the variety of useful parts were among my favorite part of the experience.  Hope you all enjoy the build when you get them.  

I just finished building it, and it was quite an enjoyable build. All the new color(at least to me) parts are great. A little bummed they don’t give extra leaves anymore...those other colors in this are nice. 

I posted this on Instagram, figured I would post it here also. Did anyone else get discolored 1x1 LBG bricks with their set? All of ones in my set were closer to Light Gray than LBG.

Edited by The Jersey Brick Guy
Added picture.

1 hour ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I posted this on Instagram, figured I would post it here also. Did anyone else get discolored 1x1 LBG bricks with their set? All of ones in my set were closer to Light Gray than LBG.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 10.24.32 AM.png

Apparently a lot of people have received an additional bag of LBG 1x1 bricks. I assume there was a production error on a batch of 1x1 bricks that was caught and corrected, but some were still missed.