leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

I'm not in favor of expensive. $180 is expensive enough. Heck $126 on sale is expensive to me. :laugh:

I say this as I build a $100 NinjaGo Movie Boat. 

3 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

I agree, although I’d probably prefer three separate buildings (3, or even 4 storeys) with separate businesses. Something fun, different....... and expensive... :cry_sad:  Perhaps we can cross our fingers for the 15th anniversary...? :grin:

I’d say the issue is that the more businesses per set, the less TLG have to choose from in the future. IMO Assembly Square had too many businesses - the ones in the blue building had hardly any detail - for example, I’d rather have a far more detailed music shop in a future set. So the addition of a townhouse makes sense in that it saves ideas for later - plus, I rather like it! :)

At one set a year, I think we’ll be okay for awhile. But at the same time, packing so many businesses into one set is a lot. Like the Corner Garage, had gas station, mechanic, & vet. Likewise with the Diner. It would be nice to see more residential above these businesses & save the others for following years. Or see two townhouses or an apartment building(despite the super repetitive build it could bring). 

I'm not the target market for this set (out of my price range, and I'm a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Lego builder), but I think it's great. 

Details are very nice.  I love the tree in Fall colors out front.  The detail on the beds is very nice, and the buildings overall have a cozy charm.  

The molded iguana is hilarious too!  Being able to "camouflage" the creature on the bed is just fun. 

Thank you very much for the information! :classic:

Like always, I'm not interested in the set itself (although it's of course very well designed).

But I spot some new or new colored elements which I think are very useful for the "regular" city, too: pigeon in dark azur (?) blue, leaf in lime and in yellow and a brand new element - the bird's nest - very nice! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Maple said:

I'm not in favor of expensive. $180 is expensive enough. Heck $126 on sale is expensive to me. :laugh:

I say this as I build a $100 NinjaGo Movie Boat. 

R u troll or what? Or forget to take your medicine...? :D 

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

a brand new element - the bird's nest - very nice! :thumbup:

I remember hearing that the bird’s nest is a cleverly reused piece rather than a new one unfortunately 

Just now, Gnukan said:

I remember hearing that the bird’s nest is a cleverly reused piece rather than a new one unfortunately 

It's also not the first time it was used like this. The fur collar was also used as a bird's nest in the Fantastic Beats suitcase set. 

Some folks are looking for more residential style buildings.  I think Lego mostly leaves it to us to create those for our cities.  I now have in the neighborhood of a dozen MOC residential buildings.  Many using the PS instructions as the template.  I can’t tell you how many PS I bought, but many to achieve my goal of more residential type buildings.  Now, the Bookshop will also be useful as a template to jump start residential type buildings.

4 minutes ago, Options said:

Some folks are looking for more residential style buildings.  I think Lego mostly leaves it to us to create those for our cities.  I now have in the neighborhood of a dozen MOC residential buildings.  Many using the PS instructions as the template.  I can’t tell you how many PS I bought, but many to achieve my goal of more residential type buildings.  Now, the Bookshop will also be useful as a template to jump start residential type buildings.

Actually I think Lego started to pay more attention to the fact that minifigs should have some places to live... For example:

AS 1 apartment,

PS 2 apartments

PR 1 apartment 

CG 1 apartment

Bookstore (BS?) 2 apartments

Before only GG had 1 apartment and maybe CC could be transformed (or at least furnished and moded). 

So overall its welcomed change of approach, and I hope that the next modular will also have at least one living unit. OR, it could be some public building such as a School or Museum. I dont know if there is any pattern for residential /service/business buildings... wait a sec.:

CC - business (hotel)

GC - shop (grocery)/apartment

FB - public service

GE - shop(s)

PS - shop (pets) /apartment

TH - public service (governmental building)

PC - public service/business? (cinema)

PR - business (restaurant) / apartment

DO - business (barber)/public service (detective)

BB - business (laundromat)/public service (bank)

AS - multiple business/shops/apartment

DD - business (diner)/public service (gym/recording studio)

CC - business ( service st.)/public service (vet)/apartment

BS - shop (books)/apartments

(not counting MS as it doesn't belong to the series officially)

I'm always excited when Lego releases a new Mod.  This looks like a great design as well.  Love the Fall tree and overall color palette of this new building.  Nice idea to create a bookstore!

Happy Holidays everyone.

9 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

pigeon in dark azur

It is not a pigeon, we are still missing that mould unfortunately..
This is a sparrow or similar, but still useful :wink:

I love it! And my wife will approve thanks to her book obsession. It looks a little on the small side, and also I feel a price point similar to pet store would be more appealing, but I won't complain. This is the best modular since assembly square 

6 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Actually I think Lego started to pay more attention to the fact that minifigs should have some places to live... For example:

AS 1 apartment,

PS 2 apartments

PR 1 apartment 

CG 1 apartment

Bookstore (BS?) 2 apartments

Before only GG had 1 apartment and maybe CC could be transformed (or at least furnished and moded). 

So overall its welcomed change of approach, and I hope that the next modular will also have at least one living unit. OR, it could be some public building such as a School or Museum. I dont know if there is any pattern for residential /service/business buildings... wait a sec.:

CC - business (hotel)

GC - shop (grocery)/apartment

FB - public service

GE - shop(s)

PS - shop (pets) /apartment

TH - public service (governmental building)

PC - public service/business? (cinema)

PR - business (restaurant) / apartment

DO - business (barber)/public service (detective)

BB - business (laundromat)/public service (bank)

AS - multiple business/shops/apartment

DD - business (diner)/public service (gym/recording studio)

CC - business ( service st.)/public service (vet)/apartment

BS - shop (books)/apartments

bottom of your list CC should be CG. And didn't DO have an apartment in it as well? That is where the cookies were being manufactured. I still want to see a Post Office. I have post office people and we have mail boxes. So far, the only post office is the one in the Winter Village. Aside from that I would love to see the following: School (old style with the desks on the back side of the chairs like they had in the 50s and 60s), clinic/hospital, police station (like fire brigade but I am thinking like the one in Chicago Blue tv show with a main office/front desk downstairs with a side area or back of jail cells, offices upstairs and maybe a third floor with jail cells or something), a museum with old lego history would be epic! I have a museum of sorts with the SWAT team, but it just isn't the same or nearly large enough.

I have people packs that are general business ones I could totally use in this town, with these having larger back areas, I can finally put the lawn mower mini-figure somewhere! Also, I have a park bench that could go back there too. This is too exciting and I need this NOW! Then I need to buy a house so I have room to set up my legos again

8 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Sidebar: I’d argue it is. It was shown along with all the others in the Assembly Square video & was included in the Mini Modulars. 

46 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Sidebar: I’d argue it is. It was shown along with all the others in the Assembly Square video & was included in the Mini Modulars. 

I didn't deny that did I? :) I just said that I personally dont count MS as modular. 

2 hours ago, legomaniacj said:

bottom of your list CC should be CG. And didn't DO have an apartment in it as well? That is where the cookies were being manufactured. I still want to see a Post Office. I have post office people and we have mail boxes. So far, the only post office is the one in the Winter Village. Aside from that I would love to see the following: School (old style with the desks on the back side of the chairs like they had in the 50s and 60s), clinic/hospital, police station (like fire brigade but I am thinking like the one in Chicago Blue tv show with a main office/front desk downstairs with a side area or back of jail cells, offices upstairs and maybe a third floor with jail cells or something), a museum with old lego history would be epic! I have a museum of sorts with the SWAT team, but it just isn't the same or nearly large enough.

Sorry, my mistake I meant CG. :) Do has only a kitchen, not an apartment or another type of living quarters... Just smuggling kitchen... :)

30 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Sorry, my mistake I meant CG. :) Do has only a kitchen, not an apartment or another type of living quarters... Just smuggling kitchen... :)

All good, I knew what you meant :classic:. I didn't realize DO was just a kitchen. hehe, I need to get all my sets back up... I need a house where I have a lego room, it has been determined. 

3 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

Another thing that drives me nuts is that you can't buy these before christmas; instead just a few days after. 

It's all about the $$$.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:06 PM, Maple said:

I'm thrilled it's a two in one, it's exactly what the modular line needed to shake things up after two very 'ehh' sets. If you want one big modular then buy the garage. I actually hope the next 2-3 years have split buildings so the modular street can have a different feel.

It is not just a matter of two in one. As I said, I was not a big fan of the CG either, although I think the DD is much better than most of the people consider. In fact I doubt the latter and not the former even though they are both large buildings.

What I do not really like about the "bookshop" set are the interior details, which are not up to the same level of the previous modulars (excluding the CG). For example, I do not see anything as great as the bottom floors in PR and DD.

I am not blaming the designer for that, as the two-buildings choice clearly provided more variety outside, but limited the amount of space per floor to develop something special.

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

It's all about the $$$.

You'd think they would want this out before christmas, for all that sweet sweet christmas money. 

They would probably love to sell everything everyone wants right now (especially all the things that one afol who complains about everything wants if it'll pacify him for just a moment) but they have to manage production limitations and the patient but prudent desire to boost the post holiday quarter sales.

I build residential (MOCs that is) only buildings. As far as mini figs having a place to live, mine are mostly dismembered and in a plastic bag. I just want some full on residential buildings and not one apartment in a multi-use building. But, I’ll build them myself.  I don’t want, nor do I expect or anticipate, Lego doing an all residential modular when there is better subject matter, especially since we only get one modular a year.  I prefer the old single theme buildings and prefer that an apartment not be included in a commercial establishment. I know they exist in real life, but not in my MOCs.

Lego marketing, not Lego sales, probably feels modulars are going to be purchased regardless of the date of issue and they (the modulars) don’t need a Christmas push.  Plus, they provide a nice post holiday revenue boost.  While, as an adult, I have  received Lego as a gift, Lego doesn’t need to dump what’s primarily an adult product (a new modular) into the Christmas mix. If, as an adult, you want the new modular for Christmas, maybe your Santa can give you a gift certificate and you can pick it up a week later. Been there, done that.

Holiday wishes to all.

Edited by Options

Releasing a new product right before Christmas is actually a spectacularly bad idea, as anyone who has ever worked in retail can attest.

Overall, I like it, regardless of size -- though it looks like it wouldn't be far off from some of the bigger creator stuff. When I saw "birch" I immediately looked for the new "Frozen" piece, but alas...

Are those white columns built from... candlestick pieces?! That's a lot of candlesticks!