leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

53 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

Some people are complaining about the 8 studs of greenery left behind each modular, well this patch can be used to create an interior court with the many balconies overlooking it, a parking for the cars, etc...

Absolutely. I’ve also heard that some folk have been unhappy with the choice of green as a baseplate colour. With the garden out back of a house being mostly lawn, green is about the most sensible colour other than soil brown. 
I can’t wait to get mine and build a little garden with a BBQ and things. 

7 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Personally I think this is the best modular since 2016's Brick Bank. I like the concept and the European-inspired design, because even though I'm American I found the last two modulars to be pretty clunky-looking. One knock against it is the price tag; I don't think 180 USD is justifiable for two rather small buildings. 150 might have worked better since it's about the same size as the Pet Shop. I've got no problems with the multi building design however, because the bookstore would lose its coziness if it took up the whole set IMO. Great work by the designers :thumbup:

The price could always be cheaper, but don't look at 'two small buildings', look at the fact there are no stickers. It's $20 cheaper than the garage for 50 less pieces. The garage should have been $180 also. You compare it to Pet Shop, which was $150 eight and a half years ago. Inflation alone would increase the price. Plus the Bookstore has 500 more pieces.

35 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry I'm new and this question can be obviuos to anyone but me, will the modular prices decrease over the time? Of course not in the official shop. 

They go on sale right before they retire. I got the Pet Shop, Cinema, DO for 20% right before they retire and with free gift. I got the PR last week for 30% ($112USD) off but no free gift. Amazon had it for $90 in the middle of the night, cheapest ever for a modular. I paid full price for the Bank because LEGO Shop screwed up the sale and it went OOS really quickly when it retired. PR is back in stock at full price on Amazon. It's really a game of waiting years and then being quick when it is on sale.

Thanks for all the answers about the price, especially that "they go on sale right before they retire"!

I just bought two modulars (AS and PR) and the new one (BS) will fit nicely among them.

It is as if Lego read my mind.  I even predicted the "Moby Brick" gag upon hearing the rumor it was a bookstore!  

This is everything I hoped for.  A return to older styles and curb appeal.  I agree with others that the somewhat smaller size is due to the necessity of having two walls in the middle so that the buildings can be separated like the Pet Shop.  It might be tempting to buy two of these to get a townhouse row.  Maybe someone will customize a printed 108 or 109 tile so I do not end up with two 107s?  The details inside and out are fantastic.  I like the colors, and the part selection looks very interesting.  I will have to save up for this, so wont be able to achieve it on New Years Day, but it is my first priority to buy after the new year.  This might be the best one since PR, which is my absolute favorite.  

If Lego is reading these boards, I now ask that the book piece that you used for "Moby Brick" be made available on online PAB.  I would like to stock up my bookshop when I get it :classic:

Otherwise, well done Lego!  

13 hours ago, Roebuck said:

No plenty more than that :wink:

http://www.newelementary.com/2019/12/lego-review-10270-bookshop-modular.html

"Also great for any animal-loving fans, we get new colours for two already existing animals. The Bird now also comes in Dark Azure (6287960) and the Chameleon can now change its colour to Dark Turquoise. " :wub:

Ah, well...I was just answering his list. I was delighted to see the chameleon in a new color. I did notice the foliage recolors & am excited to get those. 

13 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Modulars usually use only existing pieces, mostly the new ones in previous sets. Only new elements are new prints for special decoration such as windows or tiles and recolours. Be glad for that many new pieces form previous sets such as 1x1 round bricks/tiles, quarter round 1x1 tiles, new recolours of leaf pieces and foliage etc... :) This set, as well as its predecessors, is a great parts package.

I honestly like trees and greenery in generall within the modular series BUT this is the first proper tree we get. Before (BB, DO, CG) it was a parody on tree rather than tree :D

For sure. As I said above, I’m excited for those. Seeing all those yellow leaf pieces in the Treehouse had me jealous. Then I see we get the small leaf pieces & that little plant part in olive green...yes please! 

And good point about this being the first proper tree we’ve gotten. I’m the guy who just uses 2x2 brown round bricks for builds. 

Hi everyone,

I love this year's modular building, really glad that the desingners haven't stuck to the 50's style of the last two. I am considering slightly modding the town house and moving the veterinary clinic from corner garage into it. The colours should complement the business well I think.

Also this is my first official post on Eurobricks!

Edited by Ginger Ninja
typo

I like this one. It's pretty much what we have been asking for for years. Another Pet Shop type building. Yeah the Bookstore is not as cluttered as the Pet Shop in details. But we forget how sparse the PS's town home is in details. They cheated by making it be under renovations. As usual most of Lego Social Media is going "I HATE IT!!! HOW DARE THEY!!! WORST THING EVER!" And by this time it will be a classic building on par with the PR (which they did exactly the same thing regarding). AFOL's in the Lego community are nothing if not predictable. 

Since the Box Art is and looks like a fall theme, the brown base plate like the one used in DO would have been better here instead of the green. Makes more sense.

The roof part of the bookstore is very well designed. Curves and colors are really attractive and are a great addition to the roofs we have seen so far!

Expanding the bookstore sideways will be difficult as it could affect the coseyness looks of it.....we'll see how that works out!

On 12/6/2019 at 5:47 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

It's beautiful and all (and as I said, I'll definitely be picking one up eventually), but I'm a little disappointed.   The two small buildings gives it more of a Creator 3-1 building or Diagon Alley vibe for me.  I see a lot of unfulfilled potential here, not quite what I've come to expect from the Creator Expert series.  Perhaps the joy of the build will make up for it. 

Yes, I agree. That is my main problem with the set. It really seems it would fit more with some of the recent Creator 3 in 1 modulars. I would rather see a single building on a 32x32 baseplate.

From outside, it clearly looks way better than the average set of that line, but I honestly do not see much difference in the internal elements.

I really want to like it, but I will not purchase it for now. I skipped the Corner Garage last year, and while this one has certainly elements that I like better, I would put them almost at the same level. Nevertheless, the CG was also more expensive, thus I would say this one may be superior overall.

In my opinion, all the rooms are quite boring. In this regard, I have to disagree with who says that this is superior to the PR or even the DD which had much more interesting internal designs,

Agree the majority, I like it very much. Also agree with all those who say that looks like a MOC, although this statement isn't a negative thing anymore, as MOCers have become professional in the past years, their creations are impressive, being so hard for LEGO to come up with something original that we haven't seen before (and with the additional burden of piece count, retail price etc that MOCers don't have).

Anyway, one question I haven't seen yet: what about the car contest? When it will be available? Any news on the winner? It will be a limited purchase, or free gift.. anyone has any details?

Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by Gongoro73

9 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I like this one. It's pretty much what we have been asking for for years. Another Pet Shop type building. Yeah the Bookstore is not as cluttered as the Pet Shop in details. But we forget how sparse the PS's town home is in details. They cheated by making it be under renovations. As usual most of Lego Social Media is going "I HATE IT!!! HOW DARE THEY!!! WORST THING EVER!" And by this time it will be a classic building on par with the PR (which they did exactly the same thing regarding). AFOL's in the Lego community are nothing if not predictable. 

I particularly like the AFOLs who rage against price increases which are also driven by Lego giving their employees raises (you'd think adults would be aware of this need).

Edited by gotoAndLego

Just now, gotoAndLego said:

I particularly like the AFOLs who rage against price increases which are also driven by Lego giving their employees raises (you'd think adults would be aware of this need).

Don't you dare make that excuse. LEGO makes BILLIONS of Euros a year, they can afford to keep prices the same as the quality of the bricks go down and pay the few workers they have left a decent wage. Let's not forget that 1-3 years ago sales went down slightly and LEGO 'only' made like 1.5 billion Euros and LEGO fired 3,000 people. 

The price increases are so LEGO corporate can make insane amounts of money, they do not care about the well being of the common employees.

3 hours ago, Strakk said:

Yes, I agree. That is my main problem with the set. It really seems it would fit more with some of the recent Creator 3 in 1 modulars. I would rather see a single building on a 32x32 baseplate.

I'm thrilled it's a two in one, it's exactly what the modular line needed to shake things up after two very 'ehh' sets. If you want one big modular then buy the garage. I actually hope the next 2-3 years have split buildings so the modular street can have a different feel.

2 hours ago, Maple said:

I'm thrilled it's a two in one, it's exactly what the modular line needed to shake things up after two very 'ehh' sets. If you want one big modular then buy the garage. I actually hope the next 2-3 years have split buildings so the modular street can have a different feel.

dito. Really like the old pet shop concept. :classic:

I don’t know if they still use those fence pieces a lot (the old ones 1x4x1 and 1x4x2) in sets, but i like it. Just like the window in the roof it feels like the old lego i use to play with as a kid. 
The birch tree with the bird and the leafs is also a good addition. 
The green floor (and stairs) i’ll have to get use too, but i like it nonetheless. 
we only had to get more printed books though. The great Setsby, One stud over the Cuckoo’s nest, The Adventures of Clutcheberry Finn. Alice’s Adventures in Miniland. To build a mockingbird. In Search of Lost Pieces. Legolita. Baseplates of Wrath. Galidor’s Travels. One Thousand and One Tiles. Duplo Copperfield. 

After my initial reactions, I am warming to this set. I have no issues with the colour selections or the 1+1 layout; the only real "issue" I have is that the teal house seems to be missing a level. Another level would make this set more proportional and fit much better with the previous releases.

43 minutes ago, eliminator said:

After my initial reactions, I am warming to this set. I have no issues with the colour selections or the 1+1 layout; the only real "issue" I have is that the teal house seems to be missing a level. Another level would make this set more proportional and fit much better with the previous releases.

Disagree (but understand your point). To me, it's adorable as it is. Nice small townhouse... Together with Bookshop its so cute and romantic. :) Only miss is the absence of toilet or small bathroom... even in the basement like Wess originally planned.

Edited by Blazej_Holen

52 minutes ago, ivanlan9 said:

Seriously?  :laugh::head_back::rofl:

Well it has something to do with kids, doesn’t it :ugh::innocent: it would never pass the idea stage lol

Wow! Nice model. Literally first thing that came to mind were also @Giacinto Consiglio‘s designs. :roflmao: I personally never buy sets on day one, and this one won’t break the rule, but what a step up from CG! The teal townhouse is not entirely to my liking, but it feels whole, it feels detailled. The hole of the arches is a bit weird and could have been solved using different techniques to achieve that area. Some areas do feels a bit Friends and I’m not too fond of the roof texture. I really like how both buildings interact: sloping roofs, one set more forward, the curving staricase. I’ve spent a little while working out how to make buildings interacty and these really do. The bookstore is the better of the two though, without a doubt. The ground level is a 10/10. The rest works very nicely. Two buildings in that fashion next to one another would work wonders. I love it! Lego’s XXL is even better. Great job Wes on the design!

Edited by paupadros

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Disagree (but understand your point). To me, it's adorable as it is. Nice small townhouse... Together with Bookshop its so cute and romantic. :) Only miss is the absence of toilet or small bathroom... even in the basement like Wess originally planned.

I'm starting to appreciate the modest size of the teal townhouse more and more. It's indeed a cute building and next to the Parisian Restaurant it looks fine. I'm curious how it does next to the others.

If only the depth of the upper floor wasn't reduced by the terace, it is looking very shallow and the interior space would have benefited.

I'm already thinking of building a row of those townhouses in different bright colors. :sweet:

35 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

I'm already thinking of building a row of those townhouses in different bright colors. :sweet:

great idea!! i would love to see that

On 12/7/2019 at 12:46 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

It is as if Lego read my mind.  I even predicted the "Moby Brick" gag upon hearing the rumor it was a bookstore!  

This is everything I hoped for.  A return to older styles and curb appeal.  I agree with others that the somewhat smaller size is due to the necessity of having two walls in the middle so that the buildings can be separated like the Pet Shop.  It might be tempting to buy two of these to get a townhouse row.  Maybe someone will customize a printed 108 or 109 tile so I do not end up with two 107s?  The details inside and out are fantastic.  I like the colors, and the part selection looks very interesting.  I will have to save up for this, so wont be able to achieve it on New Years Day, but it is my first priority to buy after the new year.  This might be the best one since PR, which is my absolute favorite.  

If Lego is reading these boards, I now ask that the book piece that you used for "Moby Brick" be made available on online PAB.  I would like to stock up my bookshop when I get it :classic:

Otherwise, well done Lego!  

What would be cool, and to continue with the “107” numbering is to use the corresponding colors in the other townhouses, if possible. 

7 hours ago, Maple said:

I agree. We were definitely in need of some differing width buildings, so that is very much welcomed. Personally, I just wish they would’ve done something other than a bookstore in this case. While easy to correct, it’s too empty for such a small shop(or maybe they just had a big sale :tongue:). What I was hoping we’d see someday is another 32x48 with three separate businesses but in one solid building, akin to a strip mall. That would be something fun & different for the theme. 

36 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

What I was hoping we’d see someday is another 32x48 with three separate businesses but in one solid building, akin to a strip mall. That would be something fun & different for the theme.

I agree, although I’d probably prefer three separate buildings (3, or even 4 storeys) with separate businesses. Something fun, different....... and expensive... :cry_sad:  Perhaps we can cross our fingers for the 15th anniversary...? :grin:

I’d say the issue is that the more businesses per set, the less TLG have to choose from in the future. IMO Assembly Square had too many businesses - the ones in the blue building had hardly any detail - for example, I’d rather have a far more detailed music shop in a future set. So the addition of a townhouse makes sense in that it saves ideas for later - plus, I rather like it! :)

Edited by TheL390Man