leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

It might be a bit smaller, but we have to think about the extra walls on the inside, due to the fact that it are two separate buildings.This takes a bit of the budget! If you would lik to make it higher or wider, you'd better orde two sets instead of bricklinking stuff....

I also like the birch....my parents had three of them and it kind of reminds me of the garden is was playing in, as a kid! 

Is there already an inventarisation of new parts....tea cups, those LBG rounded 1x1 bricks? Blue bird, propellor on a round plate, scarf, pumpkin, umbrella, Anyone? 

Edited by LegoSjaak
Addition

I'm really happy with this one. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to enjoy Town Hall, Pet Shop, Detective Office and Brick Bank, but all the rest of the buildings I have and I'm looking forward to adding this one to the collection as well!

Personally I think this is the best modular since 2016's Brick Bank. I like the concept and the European-inspired design, because even though I'm American I found the last two modulars to be pretty clunky-looking. One knock against it is the price tag; I don't think 180 USD is justifiable for two rather small buildings. 150 might have worked better since it's about the same size as the Pet Shop. I've got no problems with the multi building design however, because the bookstore would lose its coziness if it took up the whole set IMO. Great work by the designers :thumbup:

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

It might be a bit smaller, but we have to think about the extra walls on the inside, due to the fact that it are two separate buildings.This takes a bit of the budget! If you would lik to make it higher or wider, you'd better orde two sets instead of bricklinking stuff....

I also like the birch....my parents had three of them and it kind of reminds me of the garden is was playing in, as a kid! 

Is there already an inventarisation of new parts....tea cups, those LBG rounded 1x1 bricks? Blue bird, propellor on a round plate, scarf, pumpkin, umbrella, Anyone? 

The only new parts are the recolors of the bird & scarf, I believe. Tea cups, pink umbrella & pumpkins have shown up in HP sets this year. The propeller is a spinner hat in the City Donut Shop Opening. The light grey rounds have shown up in a few sets. 

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

The only new parts are the recolors of the bird & scarf, I believe

No plenty more than that :wink:

http://www.newelementary.com/2019/12/lego-review-10270-bookshop-modular.html

"Also great for any animal-loving fans, we get new colours for two already existing animals. The Bird now also comes in Dark Azure (6287960) and the Chameleon can now change its colour to Dark Turquoise. " :wub:

37 minutes ago, Sunseeker21 said:

lego-creator-expert-10270-bookshop-desig

This time Lego did their own “XXL version” in the designer video - looks nice that way

It doesn't work well with the teal townhouse. The archway above the door should be above the door and not on the second floor above the window. It will require more modding than that. But honestly, I personally like modular sizes so I never had a need to add extra floors to them. It somehow ruins the spirit (example - Green Grocer, Brick Bank or Parisian Restaurant where extra floors is ruining the overall impression). This time, that teal building is considerably small, BUT it will fit nicely to the small town...

I would seem to be in the minority here, but I am not particularly bothered by the size, the piece count is similar to what we've seen before now only put toward finer details which I suspect will be come the big differentiating factor with this theme as we get more buildings over the years.

I've seen some folks admiring the work done on the tree, I really love the idea of more foliage around the modulars. How does everyone feel about more trees and such down modular lane?

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

The only new parts are the recolors of the bird & scarf, I believe. Tea cups, pink umbrella & pumpkins have shown up in HP sets this year. The propeller is a spinner hat in the City Donut Shop Opening. The light grey rounds have shown up in a few sets. 

Modulars usually use only existing pieces, mostly the new ones in previous sets. Only new elements are new prints for special decoration such as windows or tiles and recolours. Be glad for that many new pieces form previous sets such as 1x1 round bricks/tiles, quarter round 1x1 tiles, new recolours of leaf pieces and foliage etc... :) This set, as well as its predecessors, is a great parts package.

2 minutes ago, Steph 104th said:

I would seem to be in the minority here, but I am not particularly bothered by the size, the piece count is similar to what we've seen before now only put toward finer details which I suspect will be come the big differentiating factor with this theme as we get more buildings over the years.

I've seen some folks admiring the work done on the tree, I really love the idea of more foliage around the modulars. How does everyone feel about more trees and such down modular lane?

I honestly like trees and greenery in generall within the modular series BUT this is the first proper tree we get. Before (BB, DO, CG) it was a parody on tree rather than tree :D

Edited by Blazej_Holen

16 minutes ago, Steph 104th said:

The more the merrier is my approach to trees :grin: Most city's have a lot of them, so maybe the modulars can start to include a different tree with every modular :wink:

It is a little strange that they did not use the new printed birch tree piece from frozen sets when they made the birch :shrug_oh_well:

It will be available to order on the 1st or you will be able to go in store then. Lego don't do "pre orders".

2 hours ago, Sunseeker21 said:

This time Lego did their own “XXL version” in the designer video - looks nice that way

I got irrationally annoyed at that part of the video. “Hey guys, look how awesome this can look - all you have to do is give us twice as much money.” :roflmao:

Really like this modular although agree with others about the book shop interior. Was hoping for more of a jumbled, Old Fishing Store vibe. The exterior is so good though!

13 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

This Bookshop actually feels like a bit of a 'reset', like the starting of a third era of modulars. I always felt the first era lost its way a bit with the last couple - Town Hall and Palace Cinema - and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same about the last two modulars (Downtown Diner and Corner Garage), that they weren't quite up to the usual high standard, so for me this feels a bit like a reset, like when Parisian Restaurant was unveiled after Palace Cinema, if that makes sense?

I don't see it that way. Remember that Lego takes two to three years for designing a modular - thus, when everyone was complaining about Palace Cinema and not much liking Town Hall either, Parisian Restaurant was already in the making! Same for the last two and BS (:laugh:).

And, anyway: There are many, many people who absolutely love the Diner. To me, it always feels as if there's a very vocative minority that doesn't like it, while it actually is a really popular set! Talking to other AFOLs in real-life, or listening to the talk of the general public at Lego expositions, there are always people who point it out for being great. But in one way it really didn't meet the usual standard of modulars - all the ingenuous building techniques used in it exploiting Lego maths to the extreme go far beyond anything we've seen in any of the other modulars previous or since!

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

"Also great for any animal-loving fans, we get new colours for two already existing animals. The Bird now also comes in Dark Azure (6287960) and the Chameleon can now change its colour to Dark Turquoise. " :wub:

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that yet. Love these articles on New Elementary.

Didn't realize that so many of the dark turquoise elements were new. I had already spotted the 1x12 brick and slope, but not the others.

2 hours ago, peedeejay said:

The proportions are way better with additional floors. Might have to get two when prices have fallen.

I'll propably do what I did with the Pet Shop - get a used one later in the year, use the additional floors to embiggen the set and the rest as parts packs. Got some incredible deals that way in the past.

Though I may only mod the townhouse, the bookshop looks fine as it is, imo.

Edited by RogerSmith

5 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Check newelementary.com for it! :wink:

25 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I got irrationally annoyed at that part of the video. “Hey guys, look how awesome this can look - all you have to do is give us twice as much money.” :roflmao:

Same here. I would have posted these smileys :hmpf::hmpf_bad: instead.

Even though it feels somewhat smaller I love the exterior of both buildings. I agree with others that I think given the Bookstore aspect could have been more prominent and it would have been nice to see more book pieces here rather than tiles representing them. 

For all those classic space guys out there:
Did you notice this set

6950-1.jpg

on the shelves in the background of the official designer video?

It's 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport - a 37 year old set!  :oh:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Great link...always nice to see new parts or new colored parts!

If I hadn't known better, I would've thought I was staring at one of @Giacinto Consiglio latest modular creations... :grin:

Spoiler
FacadeCheese Shop

Besides being a most welcome return to quainter form, this has to be the most adorable-looking modular building yet, thanks in no small part to its smaller size and color choices! I actually really dig the pairing of Dark Turquoise and Earth Blue for the townhome in particular, and I love the macaroni tiling work crowning the bookstore. Plus, though it doesn't share much with it architecturally, bookstores always make me think of the Shop Around the Corner from the '98 rom-com You've Got Mail... :thumbup: :blush:

Youve-Got-Mail-Shop-Still-1a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

4 hours ago, Steph 104th said:

Yes, give us some more trees ! We had the latest sets with a car, a truck that are adding a notable amount of pieces that could be used elsewhere. Even though I love my car in the real life, I wish to create here the perfect little cozy town with parks, nice places to contemplate interesting architecture with several retail stores / commerces with plenty of things to do

Some people are complaining about the 8 studs of greenery left behind each modular, well this patch can be used to create an interior court with the many balconies overlooking it, a parking for the cars, etc...

Edited by Hippocampe

4 hours ago, peedeejay said:

The proportions are way better with additional floors. Might have to get two when prices have fallen.

Sorry I'm new and this question can be obviuos to anyone but me, will the modular prices decrease over the time? Of course not in the official shop. 

21 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry I'm new and this question can be obviuos to anyone but me, will the modular prices decrease over the time? Of course not in the official shop. 

Most modulars can be picked up at a cheaper price at some point over their lifetime, but once they've been discontinued they tend to become *very* expensive.

I'd assume that what @peedeejay is suggesting is that they'll wait until it's available at a discounted price (e.g. black Friday etc.) to buy two.

Edited by TheL390Man

6 hours ago, Sunseeker21 said:

I wonder who got them into doing their own XXL version...?