leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

I dunno, it looks like it scales wrong next to the PR.

Still, gorgeous design. I still don’t have AS or DD, so I’ll prioritise those, but I definitely want this one somewhere down the line.

1 minute ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I dunno, it looks like it scales wrong next to the PR.

Still, gorgeous design. I still don’t have AS or DD, so I’ll prioritise those, but I definitely want this one somewhere down the line.

The scale of the modular series has been all over the place. The first ones were massively huge. Since then they have gotten smaller so it's all good. Plus this is probably the scale the series will use going forward.

I agree that it’s a bit smaller than previous ones and next to some of the early modulars they’ll probably look a bit out of proportion. I’ve only got the last 6 or 7 so it’ll probably be fine I hope. Otherwise I’ll have to find a way of making them a little taller at least. 

6 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I agree that it’s a bit smaller than previous ones and next to some of the early modulars they’ll probably look a bit out of proportion. I’ve only got the last 6 or 7 so it’ll probably be fine I hope. Otherwise I’ll have to find a way of making them a little taller at least. 

If anything, I would want to make the crawlspace the size of a full basement, but that would mean extending the staircase up front and inside as well to match it.  Then, add a cement floor down there with a drain or grate plate so it looks like a slab. Maybe a few barrels of biscuits or cookies from the DO :classic: to show that is happening all over town and not right under the detective's nose. 

They even included information on the chameleon in the designer video, keep the animal mould info coming Lego :wub:

This is gorgeous!  Love the townhouse colours and the detailing on the stairs and the dormers.  The Amsterdam facade on the bookstore is just gorgeous.  

I think the townhouse could use another floor, but otherwise I really can't fault this one.  I haven't bought the last two modulars, but I'm now looking forward to getting this one!

31 minutes ago, Maple said:

The scale of the modular series has been all over the place. The first ones were massively huge. Since then they have gotten smaller so it's all good. Plus this is probably the scale the series will use going forward.

Yeah agreed. Yet even though there is a clear size range in the official modulars those early ones still bring out the esteemed-captain-professor-emeritus-patron-doctor-of-honors-sir-noble-modular-experts going into everyone's MOC thread and telling people that they need to make theirs bigger and add x-amount of bricks to every floor. :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah agreed. Yet even though there is a clear size range in the official modulars those early ones still bring out the esteemed-captain-professor-emeritus-patron-doctor-of-honors-sir-noble-modular-experts going into everyone's MOC thread and telling people that they need to make theirs bigger and add x-amount of bricks to every floor. :facepalm:

As I get older and older I realize one thing, don't listen to others. :laugh:

But I've seen that BS (hehe) and those people are just being silly. Most people here don't have the first few. Anything that doesn't have an interior isn't the scale. There are 15 modulars now, 10+ of them are smaller. THAT'S the scale for the theme now. The only thing that seems to be the normal in the theme is that the first floor is taller than the others. But even the first ones are missing that. This will look perfect with the 'golden' age of modulars, BB, DO, PR.

Nice review from Solid Brick Studios but hey guys, dont you think that David just use word "LITTLE" too much? Little Timmy, with a little plane...little porch, with little doors where are those little chairs, little rug and little lamp, a little table with a mug on it, little friend, a little chameleon in a little tank, little gate, gunny little Parisian restaurant cheese, little Santa sack, little stairs, little pumpkin patch, little umbrella hanger, little fireplace (...) GOSH, WTF? :D

6 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Nice review from Solid Brick Studios but hey guys, dont you think that David just use word "LITTLE" too much? Little Timmy, with a little plane...little porch, with little doors where are those little chairs, little rug and little lamp, a little table with a mug on it, little friend, a little chameleon in a little tank, little gate, gunny little Parisian restaurant cheese, little Santa sack, little stairs, little pumpkin patch, little umbrella hanger, little fireplace (...) GOSH, WTF? :D

:laugh_hard::laugh_hard::laugh_hard: Everything in Lego is "little" :facepalm:

1 hour ago, jus1973 said:

I agree that it’s a bit smaller than previous ones and next to some of the early modulars they’ll probably look a bit out of proportion.

Tell me about it, I recently bricklinked CC, and as much as I love it, it’s hard to put it next to some of the later modulars.

I have all the modulars except Cafe Corner and Market Street, neither of which hold any real interest to me (I BL'd Green Grocer).

For me there are two 'eras' of modulars - the first era was up to Palace Cinema, and the second era started with Parisian Restaurant.

This Bookshop actually feels like a bit of a 'reset', like the starting of a third era of modulars. I always felt the first era lost its way a bit with the last couple - Town Hall and Palace Cinema - and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same about the last two modulars (Downtown Diner and Corner Garage), that they weren't quite up to the usual high standard, so for me this feels a bit like a reset, like when Parisian Restaurant was unveiled after Palace Cinema, if that makes sense?

While I can't help but think that this modular looks a little too simplistic (especially with the cyan building taking up only 2 floors), it still wowed me at first glance.

Would be an instant buy - if not for the fact that I don't have that much room around me for displaying more modulars!

39 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

I have all the modulars except Cafe Corner and Market Street, neither of which hold any real interest to me (I BL'd Green Grocer).

For me there are two 'eras' of modulars - the first era was up to Palace Cinema, and the second era started with Parisian Restaurant.

This Bookshop actually feels like a bit of a 'reset', like the starting of a third era of modulars. I always felt the first era lost its way a bit with the last couple - Town Hall and Palace Cinema - and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same about the last two modulars (Downtown Diner and Corner Garage), that they weren't quite up to the usual high standard, so for me this feels a bit like a reset, like when Parisian Restaurant was unveiled after Palace Cinema, if that makes sense?

Makes sense to me. :classic: I like them all, but I am also the weirdo that strings $2.50 battery operated white LED Christmas lights through all my buildings so they light up. Then you can't open them though. I discovered this BEFORE learning about https://www.lightailing.com/ Which I want to now invest in for ALL my modular buildings

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss these only using the smiley face mini-figure heads? Just me? OK, cool! While the new ones with beards and lipstick and expressions are great too, I like how these particular sets had that classic feel to them. I once got angry with a mini-figure pack that had the heads printed on both sides but for some the hair or had did not cover the second expression. So I went on the pick a brick and bought a bunch of heads that were one sided to fix the problem.

Like most lads,...I wish there was a third floor to the townhouse and perhaps be another retail outlet (or as suggested a bigger bookshop with a café). But the style suits my little street and it does look "High Streetish" so I am on board. I like the idea of splitting it,...….so I'll probably match the townhouse to the Pet Shop townhouse. 

Its very pretty. But its not spectacular like some of the previous modular. The description of being "safe" that some members have utilised sounds pretty apt to me. 

Looks great! I love the color and feeling of autumn. First time I've been excited about a modular since Parisian Restaurant.

I really love the warm color scheme, I think the detailing is fabulous and was hoping for this composition of 2 16-wide buildings, yet I felt dissapointed seeing them for the first time.

The grey accents of the book store look a bit heavy, especially the curved tiles on the upper floor, but after getting used to seeing it, the building has grown on me a lot.

The apartment on the other hand is definately missing a middle floor. It doesn't feel right. The designer video shows an extra floor makes the building fantastic. It just must have been ment this way, but they have probably skipped it to reduce parts and repetition.

The compromises made is also obvious in the very weak backside, where it looks like they have cut off a part of the upper floors.

To bad, as otherwise I would have been lyrical.

The mouse trap is to sinister for me and some more printed books would have been welcome, but I think the detailing is great with nice interior elements, fine prints, a good looking tree, a lovely blue bird and so much more to discover soon!

1 hour ago, legomaniacj said:

s it just me, or does anyone else miss these only using the smiley face mini-figure heads? Just me? OK, cool! While the new ones with beards and lipstick and expressions are great too, I like how these particular sets had that classic feel to them. I once got angry with a mini-figure pack that had the heads printed on both sides but for some the hair or had did not cover the second expression. So I went on the pick a brick and bought a bunch of heads that were one sided to fix the problem.

Nope, me too!! :thumbup:

50 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

The apartment on the other hand is definately missing a middle floor. It doesn't feel right. The designer video shows an extra floor makes the building fantastic. It just must have been ment this way, but they have probably skipped it to reduce parts and repetition.

I agree, it looks fantastic in the designer video! I’d buy two, but my wallet probably wouldn’t be in favour. I’ll probably get just the one and maybe wait for a sale to get a second (or maybe BL it).

55 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

it looks like they have cut off a part of the upper floors.

At least they haven’t left them completely open! (I’m looking at you, assembly square :angry:)

1 hour ago, PBRStreetgang said:

The description of being "safe" that some members have utilised sounds pretty apt to me. 

Actually,..on reflection I am just wondering if its more accurate to state: 'minimum effort, maximum gain'. 

Nice set,...happy to have in my street,...but hardly stirs the heart to excitement. 

Awesome Awesome Awesome. Looks much better than the Garage corner before. One that is A MUST to get for those who like buildings

So I love it, with a few provisos.

Firstly, I really appreciate being able to split in to a 16x32 baseplate for each building, a la Pet Shop, because it provides more flexibility with layouts. The Bookshop looks great next to PR As AllanSmith's image shows, and more places for Lego minigifs to live that aren't tiny apartments are appreciated. Basically more houses please Lego! Love the colours, love the tree.

I agree with others that the townhouse is too short though - it definitely needs that second floor. I wonder what it looks like next to the Pet Shop buildings with and without?The backs are plain but I never see those anyway...

I'll be buying two or three copies on the 1st Jan!

Glad to see such a positive response from pretty much everyone. Along with the 89 Batmobile, TLG is ending the year with 2 huge hits

9 hours ago, adwind said:

This is exactly how birch trees look like

8 hours ago, legomaniacj said:

Birch trees have smooth, white bark with some darker colors in them. 

Thanks. :thumbup:

I really like the exterior and the colors. I might by two copies to make the bookshop wider and the townhouse wider and taller. 

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

They even included information on the chameleon in the designer video, keep the animal mould info coming Lego :wub:

Yeah, that was fun. Along with the “107” & the meaning behind the old couple. 

7 hours ago, legomaniacj said:

Makes sense to me. :classic: I like them all, but I am also the weirdo that strings $2.50 battery operated white LED Christmas lights through all my buildings so they light up. Then you can't open them though. I discovered this BEFORE learning about https://www.lightailing.com/ Which I want to now invest in for ALL my modular buildings

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss these only using the smiley face mini-figure heads? Just me? OK, cool! While the new ones with beards and lipstick and expressions are great too, I like how these particular sets had that classic feel to them. I once got angry with a mini-figure pack that had the heads printed on both sides but for some the hair or had did not cover the second expression. So I went on the pick a brick and bought a bunch of heads that were one sided to fix the problem.

While I don’t quite mind the face change(having the rocker dude from Diner would be sorely missed) I did love having the classic smileys. It was a nice little dose of nostalgia to go with the big, elaborate builds. 

I wish they would’ve saved one side or the other for future years. It would’ve been nicer to see a full on 32 bookstore so the store could’ve had more shelves & books. Or two similarly built townhouses together. Unlike others though, I get a big San Francisco vibe from both buildings, especially the townhouse.