leafan

Creator Expert 10270 Modular

Yep, this set has been revealed this afternoon. So pictures may be shared officially. :wink:

10270-1.jpg

Link to LEGO store

Official description:

Recreate the charm of a backstreet bookshop that you might discover in any quaint village or town with this LEGO® Creator Expert collectors’ toy. The 3-storey bookshop and adjoining modular town house building is filled with fun building techniques and surprising details, including a display window, reading nook and an open-out design. Collectors will love to display this big 2,504-piece LEGO set proudly alongside their other modular buildings. An ever-growing modular house collection The LEGO Creator Expert Modular Buildings series is a premium collection of advanced, interconnecting buildings featuring authentic designs from around the world. LEGO sets that bring passion to life LEGO Creator Expert building sets are for adults and teenagers with a passion. From authentic buildings and classic cars to other objects of desire, Creator Expert advanced LEGO sets offer a world of nostalgia, escapism, self-expression, pure enjoyment and surprise.

• An advanced LEGO® Creator Expert Modular Buildings set bookshop with adjoining townhouse packed with surprising details and unexpected features that teenagers and adults will enjoy building and displaying with pride.
  • This big 3-story LEGO® set features so many details, including a display window, bookshelves, reading nook and living spaces in the town house. 5 minifigures also help to really bring this collectors’ toy to life.
  • This set is part of the Modular Buildings series – an ever-growing collection of interconnecting model toy buildings that combine to create amazing street scenes that builders and collectors love to own and display.
  • With 2,504 pieces, this LEGO® building set for adults and teenagers makes an inspirational birthday, Christmas or special-occasion gift.
  • Measuring over 11” (29cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep, this buildable model makes for an impressive display piece on its own or as part of a larger Modular Buildings series street scene.
  • With colourful, step-by-step building instructions, this advanced set offers a rewarding building experience, whether you’re building alone or sharing the experience with a loved one.
  • Since 1958, LEGO® bricks have been tested to the highest industry standards to ensure consistency and compatibility, and that they connect and pull apart easily every time.
  • At the LEGO Group, we drop, heat, crush, twist and analyse LEGO® pieces to make sure every building set meets the highest global safety and quality standards.

My opinion:

This set is a nice mixture of the 2015's Detective Office 10246 and the Pet Shop 10218 from 2011. :wub_drool:  The color selection is beautiful and I am delighted that you can split the set in two halves once again.
It is small like the Detective Office with a 2 story building to the left and a single one to the right. Of course I would have loved a bigger building, but the rest of the details makes more than up for it.

It will be an instant buy - in contrast to this years modular building Corner Garage, which yet has to grow on me.

49178915131_94f9f0c696_z.jpg

49178910901_ae2c4ee3c7_z.jpg

49179124132_b178b86249_z.jpg

49178433373_a9b47194d5_z.jpg

49179123312_0a7b7eb179_z.jpg

49178926701_7dc389c64e_z.jpg

49179117407_1bc28f394d_z.jpg

49178926251_a91f9b7440_z.jpg

49178425503_a7ca2645b5_z.jpg

49179127472_de2d5d08a3_z.jpg

49178920416_8ddfebb54a_z.jpg

49179128617_c0ab55b1f9_z.jpg

49178428038_6660ca35e3_z.jpg

49179130042_c7d79323ee_z.jpg

49178923341_90d54d091a_z.jpg

49178429858_0dfb489c21_z.jpg

49178924261_796de496a9_z.jpg

49179124742_5fb5e2e3ec_z.jpg

49179132702_f1a1f36e7d_c.jpg

49178420788_22770c2ccd_z.jpg

Quick thoughts.

I like it.  Could have been better but feel better then the last two offering. Gona take a bit to get used to the blueish green color.  When I get, plan on adding a few more books for a true book store.

I really like the design, feels a little bit smaller and more...quaint I guess? Which I think fits a book store. Do wish there was a little bit more to the bookstore interior though.

Living the Book Shop. My only critique so far is that they gave us only one of that new book mould. Just one, I was expecting a few with some playing title like they did with 'Moby Brick.' I've seen small independently owned book shops like they captured here but they are filled with books and more books, and it's lacking here. A nice poster print for the wall would have been nice too :sceptic:. But I do love this new modular Book Shop :wub:.

Can someone explain why the tree is white? I'm lost.

I will echo my request here as well - if anyone has a review copy at their disposal, please share the set inventory. I think I'm not the only one who is interested in the exact contents of the box before deciding if - or for some, how many - sets to buy.

One thing I must admit is great is how many teal pieces are included. Often we see interesting colors only on the front facade in limited numbers, with other walls made from more neutral colors. It's great to see that isn't the case here. And since they are 2 separate buildings, that means 2 extra sets of bricks for the "middle" walls!

Edited by Huaojozu

Well, let me preface this by saying that of course I'm going to get this, but...

I'm not so hot on the idea of it being two small, narrow buildings.  I like that they are on separate 32x16 plates so they don't need to be next to each other in your layout, but it just seems a bit cramped for a bookstore.  I think I would have rather seen a full width (and taller) building for the bookstore and saved the townhouse for another day.  You could get away with cramped conditions for the two building design of the detective's office because when I think of detective's I think Film Noir and how that genre made excellent use of claustrophobic spaces, but a 14 stud interior for a bookshop just doesn't feel right.  I'd rather have big rooms packed with bookshelves so tight you can barely turn around in (the kind of bookstores I grew up with) or a large room with a small internal cafe (like the bookstores surviving today) or skip the bookstore and do a couple brownstones/townhouses side by side.  The narrow build combined with the bookstore theme just doesn't quite work for me.

As for the townhouse, I don't think a shallow basement really counts as a third floor; if you're going to have a townhouse, there should be an extra story to give the building some real height.  Most of the townhouses around here are 3 to 5 stories (not counting basement studio apartments) and really do exemplify tall, narrow living spaces.  This one, while nice looking and no doubt fun to build, strikes me as just a small house; add some details to the left and right walls and you could picture it on a lot by itself with a yard and white picket fence (perhaps the unhappy neighbor of the Monster Fighter's Haunted House).  Without the height, it just doesn't scream "urban townhouse" to me (maybe I'm just being picky here, living too close to Boston's Back Bay where entire city blocks look like one big modular collection)

It's beautiful and all (and as I said, I'll definitely be picking one up eventually), but I'm a little disappointed.   The two small buildings gives it more of a Creator 3-1 building or Diagon Alley vibe for me.  I see a lot of unfulfilled potential here, not quite what I've come to expect from the Creator Expert series.  Perhaps the joy of the build will make up for it. 

Maybe I'll just need to get two and double the width of the bookstore and add a story to the townhouse...

Love the exterior, and I’m thankful for the return of the European style. The Amsterdam canal style of the bookshop itself is fantastic and the tree also looks great. I’m not so keen on the back - those green windows seem a bit off. Also in my opinion the green carpet should’ve been Earth green. Think I’ll also add another floor to the townhouse, it feels a bit squat.

Other than that, I love it! 

One other thing though, it appears to be called just ‘Bookshop’ - what happened to two part names? And we can’t really call it BS! :grin:

Edited by TheL390Man

19 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

This is exactly how birch trees look like

I do like what I see, even tho the bookstore ain't filled with shelves and books, so you can barely move. Added to my wishlist.

The thread title should really have the set name in it.

I'm going to call it BB (Birch Books) or BS for short. :)

It's nice. I'm still in favor of having the book store be a different color as I feel that brown is way too over used in modular sets. I want some pale yellow. Yellow and blue look great next to each other.

The system is different, smaller, more simple, but really beautiful from the front. The designer did a nice job. The back needs a little life to it. I would have added a tomato plant vining up the house. It would have only have added like 10 pieces. But that's an easy fix. Overall very pleased with it and that LEGO didn't keep the $200 price point.

Edited by Maple

I AM SOOOOO EXCITED! This review gives those who want the inside look of detail a better view. I think it lacks a little in interior, like the basement crawl space, but at the same time it leaves room for those of us who want to add things to it. I wish there were more bricks of actual books, but that would be a nice added poly that is accessories for this. Loving the colors and this guy shows it next to PR. I know what I am getting January 1st. There was a basement crawlspace in another one, I think the PS actually, and it had nothing really in it, at least this one is using the space for storage. I still love it and don't want to wait until January!

3 minutes ago, Maple said:

I'm going to call it BB (Bitch Books) 

Ahem, @Maple, looks like an unfortunate typo!!! :grin:

Edited by TheL390Man

The official designer is out as well:

Mike Talbott had the honour of doing this modular. After Mike llast year, again a new designer for the Modular Line.

Edited by Fabulandlover

Love it.

Suuuuch a big step up from the disappointing Corner Garage last year. The dark turquoise is a bit harsh, especially where it clashes with some of the other blue tones included, but overall, this looks brilliant. I really loved some of the MOCs of smaller buildings we've seen in the past year or two, and to get one now as an official set is really great.

Also love they went with a more european influenced design once again, with PR being the last one in this vein, the wait has almost been too long.

Day One purchase for me.

Edited by RogerSmith

14 minutes ago, Maple said:

I'm going to call it BB (Bitch Books) or BS for short. :)

Can I preorder this one? :head_back:

Anyhow another buyer here, new in the hobby and I like the modulars. 

I could pick apart a few areas but overall really like it. Certainly an improvement over the last couple modulars. As I always add an additional level to the modulars, I'm already thinking ahead that this may be a bit challenging for the townhouse. Maybe I'll make it similar to the bottom floor replacing the door for windows and have the door triangle arch sit above those windows. I'm sure somebody will come up with a photoshop of a good design (hint, hint) :wink:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142240429@N02/

Edited by Peppermint_M
Removed self promotion that really has no place here.

While I'm a bit disturbed by the severed head in the terrarium, it seems quite nicely balanced with colors. The part selection, however, does not bring out the same awe as the Diner and many other modulars before it.

1 hour ago, BrickFit26 said:

Living the Book Shop. My only critique so far is that they gave us only one of that new book mould. Just one, I was expecting a few with some playing title like they did with 'Moby Brick.' I've seen small independently owned book shops like they captured here but they are filled with books and more books, and it's lacking here. A nice poster print for the wall would have been nice too :sceptic:. But I do love this new modular Book Shop :wub:.

Birch trees have smooth, white bark with some darker colors in them. 

This is a set that suits me well! I will enlarge the bookshop but it will still have the cosey and warm look! The other building might get an extra floor or so, to keep up with the reat of my XL modular! It is attractive and colourful, maybe not too exciting, but i think that for most of us, it will be a great addition to our modular streets! ?

It's got a bit of a Dutch feel to it, which is refreshing after so many American-influenced modulars. I think it looks great. The blue colour is lovely. I may actually purchase this one.

Personally I adore this modular. I've seen a lot of people wishing the book shop was bigger but personally I'm thrilled that instead of a huge bookstore we got a small quaint one like the many independent used bookstores in my hometown. The same beautifully ornate yet livable detail Wes Talbott brought to the Elves sets is on full display here, along with a ton of great techniques and some eye-popping use of color (the Cool Yellow/Warm Gold/Flame Yellowish Orange tiling in the bookstore interior is simply lovely).

I fixed the typo! Stop quoting me! :laugh:

Looks great next to PR, which mine should come in this week. However the house does look a little small. No big deal though.