mcphatty

[MOC] Micro Resistance and Rebel Starfighters + Micro U-Wing (with instructions)

Hi everyone,
About a year ago I was inspired by @obijon’s amazing and very extensive collection of micro builds to start working on my own micro versions of my favourite Star Wars ships. I think I have enough of them now to get all cocky (what’s that Han?) and start sharing instructions on Rebrickable so here’s the first wave, the Rebel Starfighters.

Update: I’ve thrown together some Resistance variants too!

1920x1080.jpg

49173043618_480feb20c1_b.jpg 

49173041453_28094ac6cd_b.jpg

49173745947_5e983552dc_b.jpg

The X-Wing, A-Wing and B-Wing are fairly solid little builds, at this scale one-stud connections are inevitable but luckily these are still kind of swooshable, as long as you’re careful! The A-Wing is my favourite, I went through so many real and Stud.io prototypes trying to get the shape, fins and connections right that I’m so pleased I finally ended up with a strong and recognisable build. The Y-Wing is the most fragile of the group, it’s almost all one-stud connections, particularly to the centre of the hull, so unfortunately it’s only suitable for display. I’m aiming to build several of each fighter as part of a micro Rebel hangar display and with that in mind I tried to stay away from rare/expensive parts. Having said that I couldn’t resist using the skate helmets on the Y-Wing and my liberal use of those little curved slopes with notches pushes the cost up a bit too. Oh well, you can’t build a rebellion on peanuts!

49173043478_d125c0a0f4_b.jpg

49173041198_8d34f4cef4_b.jpg

Back in the spring my first attempt at making instructions in Stud.io was actually this U-Wing. I managed to build the rear of the ship so that the wings fold out but there are so many weak connections that it means the wings are very fragile. I also have to admit that I cheated when connecting the engines, to keep those wheel pieces in place I wrapped a layer of tape around the internal 3L bars and pushed the wheels on. I’m still on the hunt for a better (and legal) solution and I’m open to suggestions!

1920x1080.jpg

Update: I’ve just finished a few Resistance variants of the Starfighters, almost in time for The Rise of Skywalker. The B-Wing involved a lot of guesswork as it’s only very briefly seen in the film and trailers, but it was the same with the old B-Wing and Return of The Jedi so I suppose it’s a Star Wars tradition that’s been upheld.

1920x1080.jpg

Overall I’m really pleased with how all these little ships have turned out and especially how they look together as a group. I’ll share more micro starfighter instructions (the next is the Millennium Falcon) when I can and if we get a good look at the new B-Wing in TRoS I’ll be able to finish the Resistance version of the starfighter group too. All my MOC and MOD instructions so far are here, I’m always grateful for any comments and criticisms. Thanks for looking and down with the space nazis!

Edited by mcphatty
Resistance variants added

Beautiful! I absolutely love the B-wing. Is there any way to get a rotating cockpit on there? I guess it would need a 1x1 brick with a hole which is probably to chunky.

A great effort in making such a unified group, they look great together. I'm looking forward to the second wave.

Why have I started blushing? :blush:  :devil:

These are all excellent little builds.  I especailly like the U-Wing with the moveable wings and the shape of the B-Wing cockpit.

I never really got around to building any of these Rebel starfighters as they were all built as Polybags/Planets Sets and I always saw my models as filling in the gaps in the collection.

I am running out of things to build though...................my turn to be inspired! Great work!

@Jobi Thank you! The cockpit does rotate actually, the front half (trans black pieces and ingots) attach to a 1x1 brick with studs on all sides an that is connected to the back by one stud, so it spins. The semi-circle plates on the back half need rearranging to match the front though, unfortunately I couldn’t find a better way to build the cockpit, I’ll keep working on it though and when I get a chance I’ll add a picture of the B-Wing flying vertically.

@obijon Thanks very much! I had a few of the poly bag and advent calendar fighters too but the lack of detail was always disappointing, so in typical me-fashion I tried to do better. I’d be keen to see if you could do better too ?

Edited by mcphatty