Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[BTSC 619] Weelond Regimentals

The Weelond Regimentals, runners-up in last year's tournament, are ready for another run for the Soccer Cup.

team_2019_-_cropped.jpg

From left to right: “Pegleg” Pedro Piccio, Luis Fernandez, Alberto Verde, Fangio (just Fangio), Jan Slegers, Cuju Tsu-chu, Mauricio Montoya, Victor Rey, Raul Baracca, Gijs Reyngout, Robino “Nino” Grijszon. On the wall: Patch Verlander, Monkey.

Positions:

Keeper: Cuju
Defenders: Luis, Nino, Pedro, Raul
Midfielders: Alberto, Gijs, Victor
Forwards: Fangio, Jan, Mauricio

Team manager: Patch Verlander

Team Notes:

Spoiler

- Fangio sometimes drops back to play an offensive midfield.

- Victor is an offensive-minded midfielder.

- Gijs is a versatile player, passes well, can also play on the back line or as a sweeper if needed.

- Pedro and Nino are the poster boys of Weelond’s “fencepost” defense. Nino’s boyish charm and excellent play have led to his nickname as the Boy Wonder.

- Alberto tends to play conservatively, lacking confidence in his offensive game; he is dependable as a defensive midfielder or defensive center back.

- Cuju is an islander from Ferro Azure; he is also the team’s chef.

- Team manager Patch Verlander is a loud, foul-mouthed drunkard. His training philosophy and motto is “If you can kick a pineapple, you can kick a ball.”

- It is rumored that Monkey is the brains behind the team’s strategy.

@Darnok:

The Regimentals sported a stout defense in 618, but felt their midfield play let them down in the final. This year they have worked to improve their midfield performance, using Fangio and Gijs more often in the midfield this year. Their base team stats are:

A: 2
M: 3
D: 4

...but with the bonuses from their market visit, they are now:

A: 3
M: 5
D: 4

The team is known for fair play, but Patch and Monkey plan to assess the team's aggressiveness on a game-by-game basis.

-------------

The Weelond Regimentals arrived in Mesabi Landing hoping to improve on their runner-up finish of last year. But when they got off the ship, they discovered that nobody had packed any pineapples! How would they practice for the tournament? (Team manager Patch Verlander’s training philosophy is “If you can kick a pineapple, you can kick a ball.”) So the team set out to a city market to find some pineapples.

02full.jpg

Jan and Mauricio meet a lovely lady selling poultry.

03poultry.jpg

The center of the market square features a fountain with a statue of “Angry Agnes,” a reminder that the WTC gets their cut of all business in the city.
Nino is tossing a coin into the fountain for good luck, while a WTC employee scoops out all the coins from the fountain.

04fountain.jpg

Fangio and Victor wave to the lovely ladies, but resist the appeal from the madam below to come up for a visit. Patch appears to have shown no such restraint.

05girls.jpg

Mrs. Arborgast is aggravated by all the ruckus by the visiting soccer players.

06angry.jpg

The WTC marines are on the scene, ready to jump into any altercations if trouble arises (or start one if it doesn’t).

07marines.jpg

Raul arranges with a local brewer to have a keg of his stoutest delivered to the team hotel, while Alberto feeds the horse.

08beer.jpg

Luis and Cuju negotiate with local farmers for their produce. But alas, no pineapples!

09produce.jpg

Gijs has found a small pineapple stand. Success!

10pineapples.jpg

Other views:

Spoiler

01full.jpg

02zleft.jpg

Licensed as a large commerce property. All C&C welcome.

This is what Brethren of the Brick Seas is all about : building for the mini-challenge with the associated figbarf, and the excellent presentation of such in a proper build, with a matching story and notable lore included. Very well done. :thumbup:

The team looks the part, but the build is the highlight for me. The buildings show that classic designs still look good. Nice job with the use of color to give them all a unique look. And the cobblestone is beautiful.

That angry statue is perfect! :pir-laugh: Are those all standard parts, or some customs? And I assume it's balanced on those tiles, rather than attached?

My eyes are drawn to the, ahem, girl with the white straps. Tell me that's a light brown hair piece, and not gold? Cause if it's gold, then I'm going Bricklinking pronto. :grin: (Due to the lighting, I can't quite tell...)

The madam looks... scary. Is this altogether the red light district, or is it contained to the one establishment? :look: (No, I won't be visiting. I'm merely curious.)

Dead chickens. That monkey. Those pineapples... :oh:

7 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

The WTC marines are on the scene, ready to jump into any altercations if trouble arises (or start one if it doesn’t).

Haha, perfect! :laugh:

14 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

This is what Brethren of the Brick Seas is all about : building for the mini-challenge with the associated figbarf, and the excellent presentation of such in a proper build, with a matching story and notable lore included. Very well done. :thumbup:

Thank you much for the kind comments! It's nice to know that my effort on the market build is appreciated. Regarding some of your questions:

-The statue is just balanced on the tiles. I was too lazy to find a good connection with the narrow support column. And no custom pieces are used in the statue; I think the gray minifig pieces with printing are from an old Harry Potter set. (FYI, the only custom piece in the entire build is the torso sticker for the minifig in the white shirt in front of the dark red building.)

-The hairpiece IS gold.*oh2* (It is from a Guardians of the Galaxy fig, "Ayesha".) Interestingly, I didn't even notice that it was gold when I was putting the figure together, but only noticed when I started photography.

-The red light applies only to the one building. I considered making the yellow building a competitor, or the team hotel, but eventually decided to leave it undefined. Note that there are doors to both buildings at the top of the stairs.

-Instead of dead chickens, I almost went with dead parrots! (Insert Monty Python joke here.)

11 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Nice intro, but the real star of the show for me is that market place and the attached storyline!

Thanks! The team pic is simply a figbarf. The market was where I put the effort. The story sort of wrote itself.

@Captain Dee Worded it perfectly! This build is exactly my favorite format to see! It's amazing how unique you made each of the players and included scenes to display each of them. The detailing is amazing and I can only imagine a lot enjoyment was had with the photos and building it all (especially one building in particular... :innocent:). Love the story and the entrance of your regimentals! I absolutely adore this build! :grin_wub:

I like the story, the intro on the players, and ofc the build, the Mesabi landing is well portrayed here, in particular the WTC marines.:rofl:

Great to see the pineapples return. The market build and story are a winner. :thumbup:

A beautiful representation of Mesabi Landing Capt Wolf, really very well done! I really love the different colours and textures of each of the buildings and they are brought together with the very effective cobblestone look. The poultry seller is a great idea and one I will very likely borrow at some stage. Nice to see the story woven into the build and continuing on from last tournament. Great work!

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

@Captain Dee Worded it perfectly! This build is exactly my favorite format to see! It's amazing how unique you made each of the players and included scenes to display each of them. The detailing is amazing and I can only imagine a lot enjoyment was had with the photos and building it all (especially one building in particular... :innocent:). Love the story and the entrance of your regimentals! I absolutely adore this build! :grin_wub:

Thanks! I've kept the minifigs of the players together over the past couple of years, and they seem to have grown individual characteristics in my mind, so it's easy for me to give them individual stories.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:14 AM, Bodi said:

I like the story, the intro on the players, and ofc the build, the Mesabi landing is well portrayed here, in particular the WTC marines.:rofl:

Thanks. The WTC Marines were a must for this build. :pir-grin:

20 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Great to see the pineapples return. The market build and story are a winner. :thumbup:

Thank you! Not sure how, but the pineapple theme has developed a life of its own.

19 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

A beautiful representation of Mesabi Landing Capt Wolf, really very well done! I really love the different colours and textures of each of the buildings and they are brought together with the very effective cobblestone look. The poultry seller is a great idea and one I will very likely borrow at some stage. Nice to see the story woven into the build and continuing on from last tournament. Great work!

Thank you! No single building is really at the level of detail I would like, but for a larger scene it all works. Color and texture was a big part of my process for this one. And I think they all fit into Mesabi Landing fairly well, except maybe the tan building with the sand green hip roof.

And feel free to borrow the poultry seller idea. I saw an illustration in a children's coloring book and decided I needed to work that into the market scene in some way.