Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

Approximately how much in total to get all parts needed for this MOC church

I did a search last night on eBay for MOC church because I always wish to build a church but Lego never released a church set. Note: I have no religion.

Approximately How much in total to get all parts needed for this big beautiful church?? Could you make a guess for me??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOC-Church-Cathedral-costum-LEGO-building-Instructions-PDF-files-only/174100157547

Is it difficult to get major parts needed??

The seller wasn't very responsive so I ask the question here.

Edited by ks6349

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like rare pieces. Just a lot of them...20,000!!!

One cannot guess how much the total cost would be considering no store is likely to have what you need, so multiple orders/multiple stores/multiple shipping costs. But if you consider the approximate 10 cent per piece rule (compared to your currency), you'd still be spending $2000. And that is just an estimate to shoot for.

Best of luck.

33 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like rare pieces. Just a lot of them...20,000!!!

One cannot guess how much the total cost would be considering no store is likely to have what you need, so multiple orders/multiple stores/multiple shipping costs. But if you consider the approximate 10 cent per piece rule (compared to your currency), you'd still be spending $2000. And that is just an estimate to shoot for.

Best of luck.

Is $2000 the lowest estimate? Or Average?

Edited by ks6349

That is basing it on the traditional 10 cents per piece guide. Not every piece will fall into that. Looking at the pictures, to accumulate 20,000 pieces, you will need to source A LOT of similar pieces. That may bring down the cost some. I would say $2,000 is probably on the low end for what I'd expect. But then again, I've never ordered instructions. I've never ordered that many pieces before. Nor have I ever done a project of that scale, so don't quote me on actual cost.

$2000 is probably as good estimate as is possible to make without actually starting to fill shopping carts in BL or other stores. 10 cents per piece is a good overall average unless you need a lot of expensive parts, and if there's a lot of very cheap parts it may be less but there's no way to be sure without getting a proper parts list and examining the availability and cost of each part. Either way, it's a very large project that's going to cost a lot unless you already have a lot of parts required. One question to ask is of course, do you want the parts to be new or are used ones acceptable? That can make a significant difference.

That's going to be a big project :classic: Looking good.
All those bricks are indeed a bit difficult to order at once. Don't think there's a shop who has it all. Like Howitzer said, it's also an option to choose for used parts. Only I don't know how much it will save you. I've been looking for some bricks and I noticed that there is a lot of difference of price, new and used as well.

a bit of off-topic: I've seen more instructions. What I've noticed is that some of those instructions cost pretty much. Does anyone how people came up with the price?

17 minutes ago, neonic said:

That's going to be a big project :classic: Looking good.
All those bricks are indeed a bit difficult to order at once. Don't think there's a shop who has it all. Like Howitzer said, it's also an option to choose for used parts. Only I don't know how much it will save you. I've been looking for some bricks and I noticed that there is a lot of difference of price, new and used as well.

a bit of off-topic: I've seen more instructions. What I've noticed is that some of those instructions cost pretty much. Does anyone how people came up with the price?

They mark up the price probably because they know that for those who love it they will pay premium for the instructions and for those who are not into it they won't give a penny. For me, quite pretty sure I will buy this instruction, however, at the moment, I am still learning how to pick from bricklink.....

Edited by ks6349

Regarding Bricklink, you can upload the parts list (included with the the instructions) to BL as a wishlist, and then have BL make an automatic selection of shops with those parts available (usually larger lots will be distributed between several shops with different prices) and then show the approximate prices, shipping included and it'll even generate shopping carts based on this list. That way you can fairly easily get a much more accurate estimate on the total price of the bricks.

The price of the instructions will be dwarfed by the cost of the bricks so if you are really interested, just go ahead and buy the instructions. If the parts are too expensive for immediate buy, you can spend just spend a bit longer time gathering them.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:17 PM, howitzer said:

Regarding Bricklink, you can upload the parts list (included with the the instructions) to BL as a wishlist, and then have BL make an automatic selection of shops with those parts available (usually larger lots will be distributed between several shops with different prices) and then show the approximate prices, shipping included and it'll even generate shopping carts based on this list. That way you can fairly easily get a much more accurate estimate on the total price of the bricks.

The price of the instructions will be dwarfed by the cost of the bricks so if you are really interested, just go ahead and buy the instructions. If the parts are too expensive for immediate buy, you can spend just spend a bit longer time gathering them.

I will buy his instruction for EUR 20 the most, but he is asking for EUR 40. I'll wait. Or give up this beautiful architecture

Not sure if you are interested, but this is a slightly more cost effective option.  I follow this youtuber and he makes some great moc's.  He was able to build this church from 3 sets and a few extra parts.  Sets are still in production (around $100 US each) and doubt he has more then $350 in the build.  Little bit more if you add in all the landscaping.  

10 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Not sure if you are interested, but this is a slightly more cost effective option.  I follow this youtuber and he makes some great moc's.  He was able to build this church from 3 sets and a few extra parts.  Sets are still in production (around $100 US each) and doubt he has more then $350 in the build.  Little bit more if you add in all the landscaping.  

Looks great. How much is the MOC instruction??

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Looks great. How much is the MOC instruction??

No instructions.  The builder build in real time on Youtube.  You can watch at no cost to see if its something you would be interested in.