LegoTT

What set should I buy to make mocs ?

Hello, I have chosen a color, black, to work on technic mocs.

I intend to use my colorfull beams for finished mocs by painting them, because I haven't enough in each color.

But for the bodywork, I need to chose a color in lego system, wich is available for a most kind of pieces and I need to have an economic set to buy them with various pieces. This color have to mach with technic panels for wich I also need economic sets.

Please, can you advise me about the color and the sets available ?

1 hour ago, shadow_elenter said:

I'd recommend buying used sets,gvies you more options and better prices!:wink:

Thank you I didn't thunk of that !

11 hours ago, LegoTT said:

I read that the wall in legostore is way cheaper, is it true ?

Well I guess that depends 

technic parts are rarely on the pick a brick walls

things like technic panels, even if they were on the wall (which I’ve never seen them) you would not get many in a cup making them quite expensive

then you need to factor in your driving and parking time to go to a Lego store (plus if you value your time)

and that is if you even have one in your country or within a reasonable distance.

I think either bricklink/brick owl is your friend here or punt for a new set on discount when it happens.  Amazon had the car transporter with a 3rd off already in the UK

On 11/30/2019 at 10:09 AM, LegoTT said:

Thank you I didn't thunk of that !

If you live in the USA, then used sets off ebay is a good option.  Otherwise, buying new sets from international sellers on BrickLink can be doable too.  I have yet to find any good USA source for new Technic sets at a discount (especially the bigger sets).  For instance, I can buy the new 42100 for about $375-400 shipped to me from an international seller, whereas the set will likely remain at $450 (+ Tax) from USA retailers.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, LegoTT said:

I never used brickowl, is it somewhat better than bricklink ?

According to my experience using both sites, brickowl is easier to use than bricklink. Bricklink seems to be all over the place while brickowl is easy to use. 
Parts can be cheaper in brickowl if you know how to compare stores. 

I have once got an order cheaper by ordering from two stores and splitting the parts.. Same order from bricklink would have cost 10€ more. 
It was a 90€ order technic parts including a motor. 

From my experience, 42078 and 42009 sets are both excellent considering the models and the number of parts.

Yellow 42108, 42009

Dark azure 42070, 42077, 42083

Red 42082

Green 42008

Dark blue 42064

White 42025, 42078(Mack also has lot of white square panel), 42000

Gray 42078

Orange 42093, 42065

Blue 42042

31 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

White 42025, 42078(Mack also has lot of white square panel), 42000

I would add the 42100, although quite expensive...

All around I can really can recommend the 42043 because you get many different parts although not too specific: Good wheels, springs, hydraulic, motor and actuator. 

If for panels at all, I think, orange color has most of panel variations. The second could be yellow, then maybe red, but haven't analyses.

Then just make some wishlist in bricklink or brickowl, and make purchasment on desired panels.