One day I was wanting to run 8 motors on one Sbrick but you can't do that. So it occurred to me that a relay would be a common solution for increasing the power capacity of an electronic signal. They are also fairly cheap. So I got a relay and as an experiment ran 14 lego motors and a power drill controled by one channel on a Lego IR reciever. Is this dumb? Is it already a common thing and I live under a rock?

It is common to use relays for certain applications. I used relays for my Arduino to control power to my PF motors.  You can also use MOSFETs to do the same thing.

I have not seen this often in Lego, and most other applications use a motor control system that's actually rated for the application, rather than having to kludge one together like this. It's a good idea, though.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, Sadap said:

Otherwise you can destroy your receiver.

Chance is pretty low: motor driver inside receiver does include flyback diodes (see datasheet). After all, LEGO motors are also inductive devices!

Edited by Philo

On 12/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, Philo said:

Chance is pretty low: motor driver inside receiver does include flyback diodes (see datasheet). After all, LEGO morors are also inductive devices!

You are right, motors need flyback diodes too

The relay separates the receiver circuit from the motor circuit. The battery does not receive a load because the relay opens the circuit between the battery and the motors. when the relay is off the motors are not connected to anything.