Long time no see! 

Some of You maybe remember my love for excavators and alternate models - 5 years ago I participated in the TC5 challange for alternate builds with an excavator and thanks to Your support I won the competition.

Recently decided to challange myself again with the same task of creating an alternate model of the excavator using a middle sized set. 42094 was a no brainer as the best choice - tracks, turntable, some gears, mini actuator - most of the major components necessary for a successful build. The biggest problem was the lack of the wormgear - it would increase control and strength of the extended arm. Nevertheless, I found a solution, and in the end I'm pleasntly surprised how the MOC turned out. 

49133481911_90ff310e52_c.jpg

Functions: 

1. Working tracks (duhh) no suspension, no boogeys, more stable that way
  2. Upper structure rotates, sadly didn't manage to attach a knob, so it's done by grabbing the upper part
  3. Working boom similar to my previous build
    1. Possible to change the height of the whole boom
    2. Bucket and the second section of the arm works together - If You reach further, bucket opens, and vice versa - if the arm is getting closer the bucket closes

49133481826_9ff34eb861_c.jpg

49133673632_93d3b8245c_c.jpg

Arm and boom function is operated by a black knob made from small sprocket pieces, to gain easier access, the rear can be opened. Both of the functions can be switched using a LBG connector that switches the clutch piece. 

49133673447_bbab4c167d_c.jpg

So guys, what do You think? 

Also, what other alternates You would like to see made from this set? 

And If You want to get the LDD file than check Rebrickable or link below: 

MODEL INSTRUCTIONS

Cheers! 

What a cool alternative model! I like how you made mechanism for operating bucket. The only thing that could be make better is bucket. Do you have picture of left over pieces? Maybe there are parts between them that can make it more enclosed...

2 hours ago, Tomik said:

What a cool alternative model! I like how you made mechanism for operating bucket. The only thing that could be make better is bucket. Do you have picture of left over pieces? Maybe there are parts between them that can make it more enclosed...

Thanks for the feedback and kind words
Actually there is quite a lot of leftover pieces - except the pins and connectors - I have almost used all of them including the spares. 

Regarding the bucket - I could look into that :) I like how it looks but I guess the side gaps are a bit too big.. 

23 hours ago, Tomik said:

Changed the bucket a bit and made a render in LDD with it. What do You think? :) A small update, but makes it a lot more closed (uses 4 parts on each side) 

49158738256_28063374fd_c.jpg

Greetings! 

Decided to give another shot making another alternate, this time ended up with frontal loader. 

49259197667_1ea2e6aa1c_c.jpg

Functions

• Moving treads
  • Adjustable height of the boom and shovel using knob on the back
  • Possible to change the angle of shovel using a yellow lever on top of the loader

49259007301_7b8a67f93b_c.jpg

49259197422_945fdc2f4e_c.jpg

It uses only 533 parts from the available 827 parts.

Just like the excavator it's possible to acquire the model un Rebrickable. 

Cheers! 

17 hours ago, vectormatic said:

That frontloader looks cool! very much 42032s bigger brother

Thanks! 
Actually the structure is quite similar to 42032 as well - If You remove the treads than the body looks super slim and small.  

Edited by TGBDZ

Hi guys! 

Made another alternate - heavy duty folding crane

49326628648_9dcb1344d2_c.jpg

Functions: 

1. Moving treads
  2. Unfolding arm (uses red locking pins to avoid uneccessary collapsing of the arm)
  3. Free 360 degree rotation of the arm using a knob on the back
  4. Possible to change the height of the arm using knob and small linear actuator

Folded position: 

49327325182_2a0113d356_c.jpg

49327325077_cf33d2bace_c.jpg

49327106141_f2a0ac2a30_c.jpg

Hope You like it! 

It looks this will be the last alternate I build from this set, need to get some other technic sets a try now. 

Just like the previous models, check rebrickable for instructions. 

Cheers! 

Edited by TGBDZ

Crane is very interesting (and very original) C-model. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

Made another alternate - heavy duty folding crane

Could you provide some pictures of sample pages from instructions?
" PDF - Generated from LDD " Sounds interesting :)

Just now, M_longer said:

Could you provide some pictures of sample pages from instructions?
" PDF - Generated from LDD " Sounds interesting :)

It's the default instruction that is generated from the LDD - could have some errors and illogical steps.. Therfore the LDD files are included as well and for easier assembly its possible to check the model in 3D using the LDD. 

I haven't tried my hand in making proper step by step instructions - but if I do then I will increase the price for the time invested in creating the instructions. 

So if You are not an LDD user then the build could be a bit hard to make. 

32 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

This would have been an ideal B-model for 42097. :thumbup:

55 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Crane is very interesting (and very original) C-model. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments! 
I really wanted to use the string from the set but I didn't want to use it as a winch so the next logical step was to build a crane. No worm gears and no linear gears = no possible way to make extending boom.. therfore went for a different approach - folding arm. 

16 hours ago, Alasdair Ryan said:

Very nice tracked crane, All your C-models are nicely done.

Thanks! Trying my best! 

I like them both better than the original model! Almost would consider buying it just to make your folding crane!

On 1/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, ian74 said:

I like them both better than the original model! Almost would consider buying it just to make your folding crane!

Thank You! 

Actually this set surprised me with really decent parts choice! The original model is kind a weird and not for my taste but the parts are really great for other builds as You can see! :)