Sign in to follow this  
leafan

BAM Pieces

Hey all,

I've just come back from the new Lego store in Birmingham UK and thought I'd mention a couple of cool pieces that I got incase anybody is interested.

Firstly, 3 minifigs were £4.99, which I'm sure is reduced from the last time I visited a store. Tomorrow, they'll also be doing specially printed Lego Birmingham Black Friday 2019 bricks for orders over £55.

So, pieces...

They had my usual favourite head piece from 70643 Lego Ninjago Temple of Ressurection:

Spoiler

3626cpb2048.png

And secondly, they had this Pirate Torso, which seems kinda of rare from 70413 The Brick Bounty etc. I've not seen this in the BAM bin before so thought I'd let you all know incase somebody is interested:

Spoiler

973pb1932.png

If there's another thread for this, sorry but I could not see it.

8 hours ago, leafan said:

I've just come back from the new Lego store in Birmingham UK and thought I'd mention a couple of cool pieces that I got incase anybody is interested.

So in which creation will these pieces end up?

Well for now, as an elite squad of Pirates for my growing collection and the role playing imagination of my 6 year old.

I'm interested in beginning to moc though, so I supplemented my BAM purchase with a Pick-a-Brick cup of cool pieces. I'm starting to think about how I could merge my 2 favourite themes together; Castle and Pirates.

I'm thinking a Knights fort / civilian port that gets raided by Pirates.

Edited by leafan
Spelling

6 hours ago, leafan said:

Now, this is what like to hear, Big G Baller!

(or is should that be "what we like to read?")

On 11/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, leafan said:

And secondly, they had this Pirate Torso, which seems kinda of rare

It's on bricks and pieces 

MINI UPPER PART NO.2822

Element 6097241

Design number 76382

Unit Price USD 0.76

On 11/29/2019 at 11:59 AM, leafan said:

Well for now, as an elite squad of Pirates for my growing collection and the role playing imagination of my 6 year old.

I'm interested in beginning to moc though, so I supplemented my BAM purchase with a Pick-a-Brick cup of cool pieces. I'm starting to think about how I could merge my 2 favourite themes together; Castle and Pirates.

That sounds super interesting. Have you made any progress with the idea?

On 1/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Medzomorak said:

That sounds super interesting. Have you made any progress with the idea?

You know, it took me some time to respond to this because you've hit a nerve with me; and that is that I have made *zero* progress on this idea.

It took time to respond because I had to question myself about what I'm really in this for... just collecting or do I want to build?

Sure, I continue tell myself that "oh that part is useful, I'll buy a cup full of those for my eventual moc", but ultimately I cannot get away from the fact that I've done nothing with them.

So your innocuous question has given me a kick up the big behind, and ive decided after thought that i would at least like to try; but I'm a little stuck on how to actually start.

I have the ideas, but lack the know-how and resources. I do see great renders of people's mocs in Stud.io, so maybe I'll start there.

Finding your feet at the beginning of starting your own builds in daunting.

So, thanks for asking lol.

Haha, did not expect such an emotional response :D 

Going a bit offtopic here: I'm not sure I'm the biggest help in the issue but as I see it the best start is to not take it too seriously and start building simple things like a child. I always get ideas while creating just silly stuff without any huge expectations from myself.

To be honest I am in a similar situation. You've mentioned stud.io. I'm currently working on this classic Armada Fortress with it. I was always kind of sad that they had never served them right in 1996 so I'm satisfying the 8 years old in myself with the project.

My goal is to create strictly vintage vibes, with mostly old parts while still trying to make something original. Now I'm stuck with the idea for months as I don't want it to be too much of an Eldorado Fortress copy however I want the same feeling. So I feel for you, haha.

kCXWQOK.png

My problem with stud.io is that it needs a lot of patience for the simplest things as well, it has some minor bugs with baseplates and big unique pieces like ship hulls. It is so much easier to build back and start again with physical prototyping but the infinite digital resources are sometimes even more encouraging for trying out things. For example building this half made tower took me long long hours as I was continously checking out bricklink for valid color availability on every part, but least I had all the piece counts I wanted.

z8ms3bM.pngtM8uf9Q.png

Anyway it's a great program, much easier and comfortable than LDD in my opinion.

So again try not to think too much, you'll never know how is it going to turn out at the end. I also suggest not to try to copy the most complex building technics at first (I pile bricks upon themselves as far as my building ability goes at the moment), lot of the MOCs we see have decades of experience in them and a lot of them are not even the most legal build technics either (which is acceptable but hard to use in stud.io).

Edited by Medzomorak

22 minutes ago, leafan said:

@TeriXeri Which one? The Pirate style one or the Ladies torso?

The red/white pirate torso.

973pb1932c01.png

They also had the striped torso from the Fun Fair but that has thinner stripes and white arms.

Edited by TeriXeri