paupadros

Eurobricks Modular MOC of the Year

:angel_sing::pir-yoda::excited: The day has come everyone! :excited::pir-yoda::angel_sing:

I've decided to keep it to "Best modular MOC posted on 2019 on EB" and have gone without the other proposed categories mainly because those required some kind of shortlist of nominees and choosing one myself would kind of be completely biased.

So... I've put together a simple one-question Google poll (with images and all!) where you choose your three picks for the year (don't vote your own modulars please...). Let's see who wins!

I think we should determine a strict deadline of when voting period ends (I propose Saturday 11th 2020)

VOTE HERE!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4R4PQfxnj99foksbtw3McgzqrlYl01a6NwNij2LOo6rt1eQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

=================================================================================================================================================================

Hello guys, I'd been thinking about doing a similar thing for last year but honestly... I kind of forgot about it and got reminded of it again in this February and it was kind of late for 2018, so let's do it for 2019! :sweet: :sweet:

I wanted to organise some sort of public poll for Eurobricks users to vote their favourite modular MOCs posted here over the last year. For "modular" we understand the Café Corner standard (of course, expanded versions of the standard (such as AS) accepted) and in a somewhat similar fashion to the official Lego modulars. For instance, Ninjago City thematically would diverge too much from that).

I don't quite know how to put it together, but this was my idea:

1. A submission phase up to mid-December.

2. All the entries go to a specific Flickr group for this contest (to have all the entries in a single place).

3. We organise a poll online to vote, say, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

4. The winners announced at end of December/beginning of January.

Two things I want to do but don't know/can't do myself:

• I know there are special topics that can have polls directly on their heading. I think it would be easier to have one of those when the contestant list is closed. I don't know how to make them; it would be great to get some help from someone who knows! :classic:
  • It would be great to get badges next to the name tag for the three top winners. Again, don't know how it works.

If the idea resonates, I think we can put together a nice little event to celebrate all the awesome work done here!!

Hope you'll join/help!

Edited by paupadros

I think I might expand it to the whole Lego community and open it up for vote throughout.

Could you please leave names of modulars who are worthy of this award?

Great topic idea @paupadros! :classic: Just a few questions:

On 11/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, paupadros said:

For "modular" we understand the Café Corner standard (of course, expanded versions of the standard (such as AS) accepted) and in a somewhat similar fashion to the official Lego modulars.

So, would snaillad's and similar style MOCs count? Or other minifig scale architecture MOCs which don't have the real modular standards such as ...x32 baseplates, thick bases and the sidewalk tiles? 

(What I mean by sidewalk tiles is the 1 stud and 7 studs shown below):

Spoiler

1632-2.jpg?zoom=2

7 hours ago, paupadros said:

Could you please leave names of modulars who are worthy of this award?

I'll try to post a few stuff I can think of as worthy modulars to be part of this topic but this is a quite subjective topic and it's going to take some time to collect every good modular MOCs posted this year... Can you think of some easier way of doing the modular collecting work except what my solution in the last sentence of this post? 

On 11/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, paupadros said:

1. A submission phase up to mid-December.

I'm personally a bit afraid that some of the MOCers who built and posted some great modulars this year may not login till mid-december or may forget to do so. Perhaps Eurobricks could index in every single modular MOC from now on and the ones that get the most votes at the end of the year get the first, second and third places with some prizes as you mentioned? It would be great to have a such system in an automatic way so that moderators don't have to spend extra time on that. Also we could have all the modular MOCs posted on EB since the beginning of 2019 in a single topic that way...

Oh, also is this going to only be about modulars starting from 2019 or end-December 2018 modulars will count as well? Because if this poll doesn't include modulars that will be posted after mid-December this year, they would need to go to the poll of 2020's best modulars, wouldn't they?

7 hours ago, paupadros said:

I think I might expand it to the whole Lego community and open it up for vote throughout.

What do you mean by this? Making the contest also on Flickr, Instagram and other platforms? Would that mean including this year's modular MOCs which were exclusively posted on those platforms in the contest?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if yourself or someone else is interested and enough courageous to do the collecting work, this link should send them directly to the page 15 of the town forum where the first topic of this year can be seen at the moment I'm writing this post... :classic: I can try to help with the work too when I get responses to my questions! 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Following the link LegoModularFan posted, here we go. Note that based on the questions posed I will not distinguish between "official" modular standard connections and buildings that are build in the modular scale, if it should change then say so. Let me know if any are missed, if anything was missed it was not intentional as thats 15 pages to go through. Starting from page 15 and working towards front page it goes link to thread followed by picture for said thread's build.

46543448741_ff5ca560c6.jpg

47304356772_a021808dd0_b.jpg

31348911207_7bb40e4260_b.jpg

45869849855_213522865d_b.jpg

46719731692_7d86901076_c.jpg

45804141235_dc0e91a7a1_b.jpg

45975374844_60d7fba449_b.jpg

46702593221_6646ebdc2e_b.jpg

45777365175_44541428c4_c.jpg

800x450.jpg

NOACNVz.jpg

39648631383_7ed5fbcde3_c.jpg

45786898864_bbc9e48562_c.jpg

46037135745_4cf7a936f1_b.jpg

31996818577_b46ea216f5_c.jpg

39928031703_7f2d6b800e_c.jpg

40352113713_bc94d22e84_b.jpg

33391206048_f88c6060d8_c.jpg

46411678414_8957f8ba01_b.jpg

46353256034_d9a59aaa6d_b.jpg

40111520803_2fc17aaf46_c.jpg

40071703693_a75769b927_c.jpg

33578611568_8088ae5d7f_c.jpg

46512268031_ba6ce8a7ed_c.jpg

46672450054_fd70eb6e8d_c.jpg

32546511577_1426e64e46_c.jpg

34310996863_2f66f5bcf1_c.jpg

40541726223_e817c69e03_z.jpg

47485318531_22bb14ff23_b.jpg

ZzWtFKE.jpg

40806991563_b6efe0e65f_c.jpg

32794823587_fefdeaf0af_c.jpg

6472497-hotelbricky_PORTADA_1_de_1.jpg

47958111103_d18ddf801a_b.jpg

47959567783_cbc3587321_c.jpg

47938255576_79c11cb5cb_b.jpg

47926318176_9dc63975b3_c.jpg

48273739011_a071226bd6_c.jpg

48216224747_286c636d1e_c.jpg

48184036622_14a95b59e2_z.jpg

P-010.jpg

48084445623_bdf092257b.jpg

48430559621_9a66069177_c.jpg

48398272992_1ea1385060_z.jpg

ksastudioalphaNEW_4.jpg

48374926681_dd7f1d6e74_c.jpg

48349459792_127b408945_c.jpg

48312359592_afcdb866fc_b.jpg

48310585386_e3375c6ed6_b.jpg

48647785018_75bcb13cd3_c.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

48612356006_e3157daff7_c.jpg

48574552667_007754b03e_c.jpg

48518564926_170407f78f_c.jpg

48782028191_8ca045956a_b.jpg

48710524051_d938b98be8_b.jpg

48681847847_a747dcb06b_b.jpg

48870453423_c7abc270e0_b.jpg

48860658757_ed3af36018_z.jpg

10_00.png

48797182128_de51dda981_n.jpg

49068972597_fd45ffdd06_c.jpg

49104522796_ce8b7d6bc3_c.jpg

0rn5ob9.png

11 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Great topic idea @paupadros! :classic: Just a few questions:

So, would snaillad's and similar style MOCs count? Or other minifig scale architecture MOCs which don't have the real modular standards such as ...x32 baseplates, thick bases and the sidewalk tiles? 

(What I mean by sidewalk tiles is the 1 stud and 7 studs shown below):

My first idea was no. Only true modular-compatible buildings allowed, but I guess it would be no harm to open it up to all the variances, as long as they don't differ too much from the core concept.

I'm personally a bit afraid that some of the MOCers who built and posted some great modulars this year may not login till mid-december or may forget to do so. Perhaps Eurobricks could index in every single modular MOC from now on and the ones that get the most votes at the end of the year get the first, second and third places with some prizes as you mentioned? It would be great to have a such system in an automatic way so that moderators don't have to spend extra time on that. Also we could have all the modular MOCs posted on EB since the beginning of 2019 in a single topic that way...

Good point. But how could we do that automatically? The list that @koalayummies has put together is asonishing. I think that if at the end of December we opened it up for vote with all of those submitions, for now (having it automatic would be marvellous, of course) would work just fine.

Oh, also is this going to only be about modulars starting from 2019 or end-December 2018 modulars will count as well? Because if this poll doesn't include modulars that will be posted after mid-December this year, they would need to go to the poll of 2020's best modulars, wouldn't they?

Another fair point. I was thinking, modulars from January 1st 2019 on up to, say, somewhere between December 20th - 25th 2019. I mean, it's 6 days before the end of the year. If we were to do this nest year, we sure would include any modular posted between the closing date for entries and the start of the year.

What do you mean by this? Making the contest also on Flickr, Instagram and other platforms? Would that mean including this year's modular MOCs which were exclusively posted on those platforms in the contest?

I had started to put together the modulars in a Flickr group and was thinking about adding modulars that hadn't been posted here. Anyway, because most have been, any that haven't can be earsed from the group.

8 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Following the link LegoModularFan posted, here we go. Note that based on the questions posed I will not distinguish between "official" modular standard connections and buildings that are build in the modular scale, if it should change then say so. Let me know if any are missed, if anything was missed it was not intentional as thats 15 pages to go through. Starting from page 15 and working towards front page it goes link to thread followed by picture for said thread's build.

Absolutely awesome job, @koalayummies!! I think selection you've chosen works well; they don't have to necessarily be modular-compatible, only in the modular style/scale.

====================================================

P.D. Do any of you guys know how to set up a post with a poll on top?

And thanks for the support of this idea!

I've invited all of the build in this list that have an account on Flickr in the following Flickr group:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/14656306@N20/

Edited by paupadros

8 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Wow @koalayummies, when saying "if someone else is interested and enough courageous to do the collecting work, I really wasn't thinking someone would do the work that fast! There should be a special prize just for you for doing this work! Also to @paupadros for creating this topic! :classic: You also made me discover some great MOCs I haven't seen before as I wasn't very active on EB for almost half a year! :blush: Just a small thing; did you collect all the minifig scale architecture MOCs which didn't differ too much from the core concept or just the ones you thought were worth? Just to make sure! 

Thanks @koalayummies for compiling that list.

Some really impressive creations haven been posted on here this past year, and I also glimpsed a few I missed when they were posted.

General question: Should we maybe make a distinction between brick-built and purely digital MOCs? So, basically, have two votes?
Thing is, purely digital creations have the enourmous advantage of not having to worry about parts not existing in a given color (or existing parts being ultra-rare), which makes it a whole lot easier to create a nice polished model. When scrolling through the modulars above, I often thought 'Oh, I didn't know that part existed in that co....oh, wait. It actually doesn't :sad:'.

11 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Wow, I don't know what else had me distracted at times, because I've surprisingly missed quite a few novel modular builds over this year... :oh: ...probably the most striking I've missed has to be @Berthil's Modular Botanical Garden, especially with all those curved glass panels. :thumbup: 

I'm also rather fond of @mouseketeer's Modular Red Car Trolley Station and @STHLM's High Society Corner Building, just to mention a few others I've missed. :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

6 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Wow @koalayummies, when saying "if someone else is interested and enough courageous to do the collecting work, I really wasn't thinking someone would do the work that fast! There should be a special prize just for you for doing this work! Also to @paupadros for creating this topic! :classic: You also made me discover some great MOCs I haven't seen before as I wasn't very active on EB for almost half a year! :blush: Just a small thing; did you collect all the minifig scale architecture MOCs which didn't differ too much from the core concept or just the ones you thought were worth? Just to make sure! 

Yeah I went through and I think I got all of the minifigure scale buildings from those 15 pages, a number that are not technically in the modular connection-rule/baseplate (vs modular base) or 16-stud width increment technicalities but I threw them in as per the discussion and points that you raised. I agree I think they're fine to inclue but if it should only be those that are built within the modular rules then you all can decide that. And again if I missed any and anyone wants to check or just submit theirs then please do so!

I think its a cool idea just to compile all the years builds into one place to show all the great creations and inspire others to make their own.

3 hours ago, Berthil said:

@Digger of Bricks thanks for the nomination!

Can also nominate my LEGO Store Leicester Square om Ideas?

A distinction between digital and real build is justifiable as real build comes with own challenges.

33391206048_f88c6060d8_c.jpg

I believe it's already here!

6 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

General question: Should we maybe make a distinction between brick-built and purely digital MOCs? So, basically, have two votes?
Thing is, purely digital creations have the enourmous advantage of not having to worry about parts not existing in a given color (or existing parts being ultra-rare), which makes it a whole lot easier to create a nice polished model. When scrolling through the modulars above, I often thought 'Oh, I didn't know that part existed in that co....oh, wait. It actually doesn't :sad:'.

That's a fair point. I build both ways and building digitally practically limitless definitely takes a different approach than building with existing pieces. That said, I think it would be interesting to know which modular (singular) is the one members like most, regardless of it being a physical or a digital build. Of course, we could have three votes, one to determine the preferred physical build, on the determine the preferred digital build and one for both.

What about having some special awards to be able to encourage more builders? For example the best first MOC, the MOC with most NPUs, the MOC with the best color scheme, the most unusual looking MOCs and so on.

22 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

What about having some special awards to be able to encourage more builders? For example the best first MOC, the MOC with most NPUs, the MOC with the best color scheme, the most unusual looking MOCs and so on.

That would be cool! You’ve said:

• Best first MOC
  • MOC with best NPUs
  • MOC with best colour scheme
  • Most unusual-looking MOC

I add:

• MOC you would buy
  • MOC so real, you could almost picture in a real city
  • MOC with best interiors

:angel_sing::pir-yoda::excited: The day has come everyone! :excited::pir-yoda::angel_sing:

I've decided to keep it to "Best modular MOC posted on 2019 on EB" and have gone without the other proposed categories mainly because those required some kind of shortlist of nominees and choosing one myself would kind of be completely biased.

So... I've put together a simple one-question Google poll (with images and all!) where you choose your three picks for the year (don't vote your own modulars please...). Let's see who wins!

I think we should determine a strict deadline of when voting period ends (I propose Saturday 11th 2020)

VOTE HERE!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4R4PQfxnj99foksbtw3McgzqrlYl01a6NwNij2LOo6rt1eQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Edited by paupadros

6 minutes ago, paupadros said:

My three picks have gone to @snaillad's Downtown, @kofi's CC House, and @lookl's Modern Library:classic:

Not voting because of the hilarious misuse of the ''''''Modular'''''' tag. 

If you really consider 

this a modular I don't even know what to say. 

Thanks for the lol though. 

9 hours ago, Merlict said:

Not voting because of the hilarious misuse of the ''''''Modular'''''' tag. 

If you really consider 

this a modular I don't even know what to say. 

Thanks for the lol though. 

We were pretty darn aware of the misuse of the term "modular". If you had taken the time to read the first replies to this post, some of the other wonderful people of the forum mentioned that discerning what fits into the modular catoegory and what doesn't kind of was an arbitrary line to darw. We therefore chose to showcase all the buildings compatible with Lego modulars in terms of scale and less extensively, theme. Don't vote, fine, but mocking our work honestly downgrades yours.

Cheers!

On 12/25/2019 at 12:48 AM, paupadros said:

We were pretty darn aware of the misuse of the term "modular". If you had taken the time to read the first replies to this post, some of the other wonderful people of the forum mentioned that discerning what fits into the modular catoegory and what doesn't kind of was an arbitrary line to darw. We therefore chose to showcase all the buildings compatible with Lego modulars in terms of scale and less extensively, theme. Don't vote, fine, but mocking our work honestly downgrades yours.

Cheers!

Yeah it was pretty central to the entire thread's discussion.

Edited by koalayummies

On 12/25/2019 at 8:48 AM, paupadros said:

discerning what fits into the modular catoegory and what doesn't kind of was an arbitrary line to darw

I don't think it could be less arbitrary, the modular standard for both Lego and the fandom is very well defined. 

Having a 12 baseplate monster up against a little gas station or an entire freaking street just doesn't seem like a fair competition at all. 

I'm not denigrating the entries. Even the 'least' MOC here is fabulous. 

Just voted. I agree with the sentiment that there should be size restrictions for next year's contest; presenting an entire street or 7 foot tall/6 baseplate monster, while cool, isn't fair against something which is the scale of an official set. Might I suggest no more than 32x64 and only one building. I don't think it matters if its on a thicker base provided the technic 1x2s are where they should be on the actual ground surface of that base. For 2020 maybe pin a "Best of 2020" thread at the top of this forum and then it's up to everyone to post a photo and link of theirs in there.

Edited by gotoAndLego