After all this time working on the geometry of the lift and tilt, I am finally ready to show this truck. Full gallery here.

49127752651_4b9084f164_b.jpg

The truck features (all manual):

• Steering, HOG
  • Opening Cab
  • Opening Doors
  • Rear Outrigger
  • Rear Skip Hook (for tilt and lift)
  • Lifting Arms
  • V-4 Engine
  • Trailer with Skip Lock

Much more at thirdwigg.com

With Trailer

49127750851_7ba681a025_b.jpg

Lift Function

49127751546_d4fdcf16ae_b.jpg

Enjoy.

Very nice "little" truck! It is instantly recognizable. Nice color combo too, and cool functions.

The only question I have is why aren't you using a differential between the rear wheels? 

Cute little truck, I suppose that there is no space for differential.

Thanks all for your praise.

@grego18f @I_Igor a differential will fit, but nothing keeps the axles from coming out of the differential while driving. Using two axles with stops keep both tires on both sides firmly connected to the truck.

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Thanks all for your praise.

@grego18f @I_Igor a differential will fit, but nothing keeps the axles from coming out of the differential while driving. Using two axles with stops keep both tires on both sides firmly connected to the truck.

Perhaps you should use two frames 5 x 7 and use this part so you can put two 1/2 bushes at each side of differential and linked part should keep it in place.

or you can use axles 5.5 with stop and perpendicular connectors to keep it in place

Kind regards Kyle

Edited by I_Igor

On 11/29/2019 at 1:56 AM, I_Igor said:

Perhaps you should use two frames 5 x 7 and use this part so you can put two 1/2 bushes at each side of differential and linked part should keep it in place.

or you can use axles 5.5 with stop and perpendicular connectors to keep it in place

Kind regards Kyle

I tried all the options for this and the DuraStar. The 5.5 axles leave only 1/2 stud to hold the outside tires. Using the part you listed and two 1/2 bushes works, but the wheels are pretty wobbly since they are only supported by one stud. And at times still pulls out from the diff. And since the diff is not fully braced you get skipping with the bevel gear. Playability drops which is not the best solution just for a differential. I'll keep working on finding a solution for this scale, but this is the best I have found. I encourage others to find a better option as well. There are lots of applications for a good solution here.

@tom1 I tend to make instructions for most of my MOCs, but when I am ready to take them apart. So it may take a little time before they are ready.

Very nice! I like those smaller, playable MOCs a lot. Still have some of yours in my to-build list...

On 12/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, Thirdwigg said:

@Ludo Visser I'm glad you like it. Which other MOCs of mine are still on your list?

Your recent John Deere catapulted itself to very near the top of my list. The Volvo refuse truck is also on it. In general I really like the scale of your MOCs and I intend to learn from them by building them. But I'm possibly the slowest builder ever, so don't hold your breath :wink: First is finishing my own MOC...!

When I first saw a picture of it on TLCB, my first thought was “that must be Thirdwigg’s”. Another excellent creation in your signature, instantly recognizable style

I can appreciate the decision to skip the differential in favour of robustness and playability. Things like that are why I like your creations. This is where I learn from you. Way too often I will go for a differential supported on half beams (with disastrous results at the end). 
Thanks and congrats on another excellent model. 

@Ludo Visser I am glad to know my MOCs are resonating with you. The Deere turned our great, so I hope you have a chance to build it, and I hope you enjoy the process. Design another implement for it, and let me see it. Don't worry, I'll try not to apply much pressure to do my builds quickly. Also my kids love the Volvo Refuse truck because it is super playable and easy to operate with tiny hands. It's a good one. I look forward to seeing your completed MOC first.

@proran Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like this truck, and thanks for the feedback on the differential/rear axle solution. I felt a little like I was giving up, but it was the best solution for the application. I still believe there is a good solution out there for a diff in a 15 wide truck with dualies.

More MOCs are coming soon....