ScotNick

Lego acquiring Bricklink - Problem with 3D-printed parts?

Here is a scenario that I see as a likely future state: LEGO will remove Bricks&pieces and Pick-a-Brick from their website (why do they even have both these services?) and replace it with BrickLink. For any item they currently have in stock, no other sellers are allowed to sell as New (and perhaps even as Used). Third Party BL sellers can only sell retired and non-stocked items. You can keep inventory of items LEGO sells, but it will only become active when LEGO sells out.

Scary but very plausible.

5 hours ago, bricks n bolts said:

old Lego molds/ components not made anymore

Is exactly the answer you give when someone complains or Sues. "It was a safe product up to our standards... 20-30-40 years ago when we made it. This is a used, aged piece." That's why it stands.

Coastie receiving permission first then having it pulled I've agreed is garbage. Luckily it doesn't seem to impact him alot.

12 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

More like fear of legal stuff possibly maybe happening in the future that actual legal eagles will have to concern themselves with. So better to knee-jerk over-react now before something maybe happens in the future and I need to explain myself and beg for my job. 

This. The BL admins/team are still in place and appear to be going berserk. One hopes BL management will become more professional/responsive once TLG establishes greater control.

10 hours ago, Toastie said:

BL is now TLG - at least this is what I understood and all the legal actions imply. Now, last week, I have ordered two new Technic Hubs (4I/O BL's# bb0961c01) for €22 each. TLG doesn't even show them on their S&H site. And I simply don't want to know what they will charge in the future; it must be waaaayyyy above €60.

No, BL is not TLG BUT TLG is now legally responsible for BL. SAH's official prices for accessories are no surprise -- it's the same everywhere, e.g. Samsung accessories for a Samsung smartphone are often much cheaper on eBay than from Samsung.com. I wouldn't fear...TLG's business is selling sets, not parts. If they establish price/availability controls on Bricklink, sellers/buyers will just migrate/create to another marketplace.

5 hours ago, Phil B said:

Here is a scenario that I see as a likely future state: LEGO will remove Bricks&pieces and Pick-a-Brick from their website (why do they even have both these services?) and replace it with BrickLink.

From the Bricklink AMA the TLG CMO did last month:

2. Will you be merging Pick a brick / Bricks & Pieces into BrickLink, or integrating either of these two as a 'seller' into BrickLink? If yes, how will you ensure the completely independent pricing/market mechanisms will still be working properly?

We believe that there is room for both Pick a Brick and BrickLink and we do not intend to establish a Pick a Brick within the BrickLink marketplace. It’s not about competing in the BrickLink marketplace, but understanding how we can service it better.

Edited by izx

15 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

I feel for you guys. This corner of the fandom is getting pretty decimated by TLG with official neglect and ironfist handling of third party support. 

You know, if they were going to decimate the Lego train aftermarket, it would be nice if they at least provided quality electronics, quality wheels, and in general make the parts more available.

10 hours ago, bricks n bolts said:

BBB wheels should not be a target for them. They are not clones and not 'unsafe' as they are injection molded.

According to an article in RailBricks, the lego wheels are actually a clone of BBB, but who's counting?

8 hours ago, Toastie said:

See, TLG takes down Tony's instructions because of shaky legal "necessities", which can easily be handled in different way, on a shop to shop basis present on TLGs(!) market place.

No, that is a very lego thing to do. They do not have time to serve their smaller markets, which is why there are so few train sets, etc. They are already at capacity selling other higher profit margin items. The cost/benefit ratio isn't there for them to carefully curate BL. And I think that is why the PUP battery boxes are so expensive- they are gong to sell a lot fewer of them and so increase the price to bring the return on investment in line with sets that sell higher numbers. It isn't malice, it is simply they have more profitable things to devote their resources to. It does seem like a logical business move, but it still sucks for us.

Now here's the thing I don't understand, why isn't Brickowl taking this opportunity to step up their game and capture market share from BL? I tried listing some of my custom rods on BO and they got rejected without comment, when I then asked they said that only do lego parts. Yet there is even a spot in the part description to list non-lego makers. Sigh

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Brickowl taking this opportunity to step up their game and capture market share from BL?

Well - remember Blues Brothers:classic:?

Jake: How much for the little girl? The women? How much for the women?
Customer: What?
Jake: Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters. Sell them to me. Sell me your children!
Customer: Matre d'! Matre d'!

:roflmao: (it is a wonderful scene) Make Jake TLG and Customer BO (etc.). Market consolidation is one way to get competition out of the way. And you can always advertise it as: 

5 hours ago, izx said:

[TLGs reply] "It’s not about competing in the BrickLink marketplace, but understanding how we can service it better."

How they can service the BL marketplace better ... In the mass spectrometry market I happen to hang out a bit, some 30 years ago there were literally hundreds of companies of all sizes and largely diverse portfolios. Now we are down to six (giants). And some individual small businesses not causing any harm. As a result, we have 6 major technologies, which are essentially only three - more things to come I believe. Creativity is suffering quite a bit though. But it is as it is. The difference is: They just tell us what is going on: "X has been acquired by us. It makes us stronger. And you get everything from one place."  

Of course big companies have to do it that way - in a global market. They need to remain competitive. And grow. Nothing wrong here; just let people know.

Best
Thorsten 

2 hours ago, Toastie said:

How they can service the BL marketplace better ...

It's most likely a euphemism but the idealistic part of me has a pipe dream that they might, e.g. run more AFOL Design competitions or even provide a custom-MOC service (like the old one?) where, if you upload a Stud.io model created only using a current B&P palette they have provided along with ready-to-print instructions, they will pick the pieces (B&P already does that and at their "retail" part prices would be okay), package instructions and ship it to the buyer.

7 hours ago, Toastie said:

They need to remain competitive. And grow.

Really. In economics, they call it like this. And it shall be good. In medicine, they call things which always grow cancer. But I can't see the differences yet??

And if they need to remain competitive, maybe offering good sets for a valuable price might be a nice attempt? Unfortunately, I haven't seen many interesting and affordable sets for 2020 so far.

Back to topic.

I just wonder what TLG would say if all the nice Trainbuilders out there would go for exhibitions for a year or so without wheels on their trains? A full year worldwide without running trains, just trains without wheels standing around on large displays, and Exhibitors explaining the "why" to visitors.

Could be a nice marketing :wink:

I in person stopped to use TLGs brand name on exhibits as well as in my posted pictures a.s.o.

Maybe just a small step if done by one single person. But it already gives me the feeling that I did something to withstand the evil :vader:

Or as a blogger on YT said before: "I love the product, but the company itself has become a pain in a****".

10 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

According to an article in RailBricks, the lego wheels are actually a clone of BBB, but who's counting?

Yes, guess we are. 

25 minutes ago, BrickMusher said:

I in person stopped to use TLGs brand name on exhibits as well as in my posted pictures a.s.o.

Maybe just a small step if done by one single person. But it already gives me the feeling that I did something to withstand the evil :vader:

That may be a way forward, we re-base the hobby with no allegiance to any one manufacturer. Some new BL with a brick quality score, based on manufacturing technique, plus age, etc.. who knows, small steps.

Question, is the BL catalogue still considered open source as it was based to a large extent on user input? If so, any new site could adopt it as a base. 

Let's consider the damage for us:  ... Hmm, very little ...

Ok, TLG has thrown out all 3D printed or modified parts without any comprehensive arguments ("Safety is not guaranteed" - what a nonsense).

But all third party parts are now available from independent online stores, thanks Zephyr1934 and ChromeBlockCity. Other manufacturers are not present on BL at any time like BBB oder TrixBrix. The only disadvantage I see it is more difficult for beginners to discover the numerous but small independent online shops.

Some people declared TGL as their enemy. That's not a good idea, we need BL as an indispensable source for figures, searched and rare parts or for bulk parts. And it is still a good idea to compare prices at Bricks & Pieces oder Pick A Brick at the LEGO online store. So we need both, please think about.

12 minutes ago, Giottist said:

Ok, TLG has thrown out all 3D printed or modified parts without any comprehensive arguments ("Safety is not guaranteed" - what a nonsense).

That's a blanket 'cover-our-megablocks' legal maneuver, but it's understandable. The vast majority of these modified parts are safe, but have they been certified (toy) safe? In the Bricklink AMA, the LEGO CMO mentioned chromed parts in paticular. Say that these parts continue to be allowed, and one day some parent files a multi-million lawsuit against LEGO saying that my kid contracted XYZ illness as a result of licking a chromed part. There is probably zero truth in the allegation, but the reputational and monetary damage to the overall LEGO brand from unfair media publicity would be IMMENSE. All their sets would probably come under doubt.

I vehemently disagree with them throwing out unbranded MOC instructions, etc. Any legal issues there wouldn't involve consumers but IP holders and LEGO legal is well equipped to handle such spurious claims.

Edited by izx

3 hours ago, izx said:

I vehemently disagree with them throwing out unbranded MOC instructions, etc. Any legal issues there wouldn't involve consumers but IP holders and LEGO legal is well equipped to handle such spurious claims.

To me it makes so sense to throw out MOC instructions because BrickLink is a trading platform. It does not own the inventory traded. So they cannot be liable for any intellectual property issues that may be present in some MOC instructions.  Those would be the issues of the proprietor. 

I'm going to wait some time the. Re-add my instructions inventory again and see what happens.

Edited by ALCO

3 hours ago, ALCO said:

...I’m going to wait some time then Re-add my instructions inventory again and see what happens.

I’d say go independent “until the dust settles” over on BL before re-upping your stuff...