ScotNick

Lego acquiring Bricklink - Problem with 3D-printed parts?

2 hours ago, coaster said:

@M_slug357Nope, I'm not cut off at all.  I can continue to sell tracks on BL with no issue.  They clearly have an aversion to printed or modified bricks, but my molded tracks are perfectly fine.

Is this just because you fell through the cracks or because they are head hunting people that "mutilate" Lego with non approved printing and engraving ... The ruling is very specific.  I keep thinking ... they control the marketplace they control the price of bricks.

7 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Is this just because you fell through the cracks or because they are head hunting people that "mutilate" Lego with non approved printing and engraving ... The ruling is very specific.  I keep thinking ... they control the marketplace they control the price of bricks.

The rules are specific for 1) no 3D printed parts, and 2) no modified in any way bricks.

Plus, they told me I'm good.  ;)

Even so, I do so little on BrickLink, even if they did blanket ban all non-LEGO elements, it would have virtually no effect on me.

On 12/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, coaster said:

@M_slug357Nope, I'm not cut off at all.  I can continue to sell tracks on BL with no issue.  They clearly have an aversion to printed or modified bricks, but my molded tracks are perfectly fine.

I wonder if this will mark the downfall of the "chroming" people? It was nice to be able to have chrome bricks of any shape made. 

1 hour ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I wonder if this will mark the downfall of the "chroming" people? It was nice to be able to have chrome bricks of any shape made. 

They are gone, however, Chrome Block City has started up a new website, so you can still get anything you may need chromed:

http://www.chromeblockcity.com/

I'm not aware of who else did chroming work, but I imagine they would likewise have moved to their own webpages.

This stinks. I know that they're a fragment of BLink's overall store base, but it was nice to have all these various businesses under one roof. It made BLink a one-stop-shop for most of what you needed. 

Not so much anymore.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Please type "chromed" into the search function at the top of Bricklinks website and have a look ... There are still plenty of offers but how long ? It seems the first shops went voluntary to avoid useless struggles with TLG.

In my opinion LEGOs restrictions for modified or custom printed parts are too tight. Theese parts are supplements to LEGO products. No business or copyright is harmed by them. The restrictions for clone parts or MOCs in conflict with a licence theme are clear in my eyes.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, coaster said:

The rules are specific for 1) no 3D printed parts, and 2) no modified in any way bricks.

Plus, they told me I'm good.  ;)

Even so, I do so little on BrickLink, even if they did blanket ban all non-LEGO elements, it would have virtually no effect on me.

I probably missed a post... But assuming your stuff is molded and not 3-d printed then?

5 hours ago, Gomek said:

I probably missed a post... But assuming your stuff is molded and not 3-d printed then?

Yes, all molded.  I don't 3D print beyond prototyping.

23 hours ago, Giottist said:

In my opinion LEGOs restrictions for modified or custom printed parts are too tight. Theese parts are supplements to LEGO products. No business or copyright is harmed by them.

In past discussions with LEGO employees I've been told TLG really hates modified parts for one very good reason; their logo is on them. They get a lot of complaints from parents about all sorts of bricks, it is pretty easy to handle if they can say "that is not one of our products". It is really hard to handle if the chrome is flaking off, or there is a non child friendly print and there are LEGO logos on all the studs. Inferior modifications harm their reputation.

13 hours ago, peterab said:

In past discussions with LEGO employees I've been told TLG really hates modified parts for one very good reason; their logo is on them. They get a lot of complaints from parents about all sorts of bricks, it is pretty easy to handle if they can say "that is not one of our products". It is really hard to handle if the chrome is flaking off, or there is a non child friendly print and there are LEGO logos on all the studs. Inferior modifications harm their reputation.

I can understand this point but for 3d printed or molded parts with no LEGO logos on them this is not valid.

5 hours ago, monai said:

I can understand this point but for 3d printed or molded parts with no LEGO logos on them this is not valid.

That technically falls under the "not Lego" category ... Coasters stuff goes through serious QA testing and also falls into the AFOL community category so is allowed.

Not sure if 4D left or was booted

Where do the terms differentiate between molded and 3D printed parts? I cannot see it anywhere in the seller terms. All I see concerning this is (1.2.1 of seller terms):

LEGO Brand Only: All items listed for sale must be LEGO brand products unless they fall into either of the two categories listed below – 1.2.5 (Custom Sets) or 1.2.6 (Non LEGO Items). Other brands of building toys are not permitted.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/terms_of_service_seller.page

To me, that outlaws both 3D printed and custom molded parts.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:14 PM, Giottist said:

4DBrix Europe has gone.

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Not sure if 4D left or was booted

I’m gonna assume it was booted cos if u go onto the 4DBrix website there’s an announcement that says:

‘Due to a sudden change of the Bricklink User Agreement we're, unfortunately, no long allowed to sell our products through Bricklink. We're currently working on the interface for a European webshop. Meanwhile our European hub remains operational and you can purchase our products through them. You can reach them by email at: info(@)4dbrix.eu.’

That sounds like they didn’t have a choice to me.

Edited by Vilhelm22

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Where do the terms differentiate between molded and 3D printed parts? I cannot see it anywhere in the seller terms. All I see concerning this is (1.2.1 of seller terms):

LEGO Brand Only: All items listed for sale must be LEGO brand products unless they fall into either of the two categories listed below – 1.2.5 (Custom Sets) or 1.2.6 (Non LEGO Items). Other brands of building toys are not permitted.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/terms_of_service_seller.page

To me, that outlaws both 3D printed and custom molded parts.

Only things 1.2.6 explicitly allows are stickers, instructions and boxes. Does seem to be some wiggle room for their own interpretation though as 1.2.6 also says items "deemed by BrickLink to be part of LEGO fan culture may be listed".

However, look at 1.2.4, that bans modified parts, and includes printed stuff in it's definition of modified.. therefore 3D printing is explicitly banned, but molding is not explicitly allowed, but may pass the 'fan culture' test, whatever that is..

On 12/24/2019 at 12:26 AM, bricks n bolts said:

However, look at 1.2.4, that bans modified parts, and includes printed stuff in it's definition of modified.. therefore 3D printing is explicitly banned, but molding is not explicitly allowed, but may pass the 'fan culture' test, whatever that is..

I read that to mean modifying by printing onto LEGO parts rather than 3D printing.

I had to disable half of my inventory .. no custom parts and no custom printed parts or stickers either ... the rules are very specific. Bricklink the way we knew it is gone now it´s a LEGO only store I just wonder what will be the impact on Studio 2.0 or any later version ?  I have setup my own store for now just shipping locally and opening to the EU soon but BL was a place with all the AFOL community on one place .. LEGO is killing that dream by limiting what contents may be sold...  I guess in fighting in the market they could instead of BL focus on the immense amount of Chinese fake products copying them in their own factories ...

On 11/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, Tenderlok said:

Oh yes, it does. When all non-Lego parts are banned from BrickLink, this will affect many AFOLs.

I think our fellow trainhead @zephyr1934 found exactly the right way to react in his comment:
'My BL store has a new banner, "For each custom rod I sell it helps Lego sell about 250 bricks and it helps make one AFOL happy"
I hope they have a pathway for custom parts to be reviewed and potentially accepted for listing. If not, my rods will find a new home elsewhere on the internet.'

The day has come. After getting my eviction notice last week I just spent the past few hours clearing out the last of my custom parts on Bricklink. My non-custom items remain on BL. Meanwhile, I have a new store front up and running at my old URL, TrainedBricks.com . You should also see many of my parts showing up on BrickTrainDepot.com in the coming days. They already have a few exclusives of mine, like a set of instructions for my Amtrak F40.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The day has come. After getting my eviction notice last week I just spent the past few hours clearing out the last of my custom parts on Bricklink.

Hmm, I thought TrainedBricks had escaped the banhammer. Really like the new site layout though!

PS: I noticed the fake 3-axle train motor sides you have on Shapeways...do you plan to make those available yourself?

I, too, got the email notifying me my store would be purged.  I emailed back and explained I had prior approval, and they agreed to review.  I guess we shall see.

I keep having this image in my head of Darth Vader saying, "I am altering the deal..."

9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The day has come. 

25 minutes ago, coaster said:

I keep having this image in my head of Darth Vader saying, "I am altering the deal..."

It's a sad day ... Hopefully they will see the error in their ways.

I'm glad you two aren't just giving up though we need your contributions to our community