Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

Mini Pan Arm Slider

I just saw this on YouTube and I was (still am)quite impressed. I have seen other Pan Arm Sliders, but they are quite expensive and only hold one camera.  This thing is genius!!

I would really like to build something like this using LEGO, but I am afraid I do not have the skills.

Has anyone else ever seen this video/and or built something like this with LEGO. I plan to start sometime after the first of the year, but in the meantime I sure could use some LEGO inspiration.

I think it would be fun to attach 2 GoPro cameras.  either 2 Hero or 1 Hero and 1 Session.

Enjoy,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D
additions

57 minutes ago, Andy D said:

I would really like to build something like this using LEGO, but I am afraid I do not have the skills.

Don't be afraid. Just start trying! Try, fail, improve, try again.

Oh yes! That is what I plan to do. But a little LEGO inspiration could go a long way. I think I need to find LEGO solutions for several independent sections, but first In need to identify those sections.This is the most ambitious LEGO project I have considered

Andy D.

The best way (wether we want to accept it not) is to use from our own mistakes, do do not be encouraged with bumpy ride in front of you, instead if it look as great challenge and possibility to open new horizons. Go for it

19 hours ago, Andy D said:

Has anyone else ever seen this video/and or built something like this with LEGO.

No seen this video before but yes, I have built an offset drawbar camera trailer and a camera dolly which is pulled along with a winch. You'll see them both on action when I film the video for my artic lorry hopefully this weekend. LEGO can be quite useful for photography.

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday scouring YouTube and I found two more examples of Pan Arm Sliders.  I think they should go a long way in helping me (or anyone else) build the Pan Arm Slider.

The first is...

That second (which I like better) and looks like it may help more is...

I think that between these 3 videos I should be able to build something.

Let me know what you think about these concepts

Andy D

4 hours ago, MxWinters said:

No seen this video before but yes, I have built an offset drawbar camera trailer and a camera dolly which is pulled along with a winch. You'll see them both on action when I film the video for my artic lorry hopefully this weekend. LEGO can be quite useful for photography.

Looking forward to seeing you're dolly.

Andy D

I haven't tried to build one, but mechanically this seems to be quite simple. The real challenge is probably making it sturdy and smooth enough to be actually usable as a camera stand.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I haven't tried to build one, but mechanically this seems to be quite simple. The real challenge is probably making it sturdy and smooth enough to be actually usable as a camera stand.

You're absolutely right!
I actually owned one of the most high end versions of this slider type (this one) briefly but I was not impressed.
It had virtually no play(something that's basically impossible with LEGO) and still it did not work for me.

Even that 550€ (605 usd) high end one had so much vibration issues that I send it back., and 

For this kind of "pan around a subject "shots a normal slider with a rotating pan mechanism on it still works best.

Mind you, I tried filming LEGO up close with this device and this close to the lens filming greatly amplified the visual vibration effect.
Filming a landscape panorama where the subject is far away might work just fine.