leafan

TLG acquires Bricklink

On 12/21/2019 at 11:04 PM, dr_spock said:

Some still do.  I meet my local BL seller in parking lots to hand over cash in exchange for a handful of little plastic bags.   Not that I'm that addicted to BL as a parts source nor old grey with new.  I think I can adjust to change.

:snicker: Yeah.. sure... 

On 12/21/2019 at 5:22 PM, Exetrius said:

@Peppermint_M Congrats! :laugh::thumbup: 

Obviously this is off-topic, but the article raised two questions with me: who calls it "CrackLink" and who is still angry about the bluish greys?? :wacko:

That is what is found when a journalist google searches for lego problems.

I hope TLG won't interfere too much. Removing copyrighted MOCs is alright to me, since there are better forums for that.

They really need to fix their servers though. The site is slow as crap, and the Want/Buy searching often doesn't work at all.

6 minutes ago, knotian said:

No Problem here.

Thank you very much. Still not working here - neither with Firefox nor with Internet Explorer.

Slightly off topic but i've made a tutorial to "how to use xml partlist on Bricklink" and another for Brickowl. If someone want them, just DM me.

There is an AMA going on at Bricklink.
Go ask your questions of TLG's plans for Bricklink and tell them what you'd like to see happen.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/community/newsview.page?newsid=50

"We will update the LEGO FAQ on an ongoing basis with your most top-of-mind questionsuntil the closing of the AMA on 31st January 2020 at 9AM EST."

On 11/26/2019 at 3:09 PM, leafan said:

I think that the updated Terms & Conditions will be an interesting read.

Things to think about:

• They now have access to any personal details and communications that you've entered into Bricklink.
  • Do they technically own any moc designs created in their studio?

Is there any elaborated information about current stud.io rights things? 

31 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

It's funny that you should mention this now because I just received an email from Bricklink to say that I need to review and accept the new T&C's before March or my account will be deactivated.

I've yet to review them though, but even so, I'm probably not the best person to advise on the changes because honestly.... I didn't read the original lol.

I'm good at spotting catches in contracts though as that is a small part of my job.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, Medzomorak said:

Further to my comment above, I have now read in full the new Terms & Conditions of Bricklink.

Re: Your MOCs. In short, if you upload them to Bricklink, they own the rights, but you can profit from selling instructions etc (which I presume you could do before).

I also found this part interesting:

"BrickLink Commission: As compensation for making the Site available to designers, BrickLink reserves the right in the future to take a percentage of the Design Fee as a commission or transaction fee, including with respect to designs that are already available. In such event, you will have the right to remove Your Designs from the Site or establish a new Design Fee for Your Designs."

Future plans perhaps; I'm not sure. But they're covering themselves well.

34 minutes ago, leafan said:

Further to my comment above, I have now read in full the new Terms & Conditions of Bricklink.

Re: Your MOCs. In short, if you upload them to Bricklink, they own the rights, but you can profit from selling instructions etc (which I presume you could do before).

I also found this part interesting:

"BrickLink Commission: As compensation for making the Site available to designers, BrickLink reserves the right in the future to take a percentage of the Design Fee as a commission or transaction fee, including with respect to designs that are already available. In such event, you will have the right to remove Your Designs from the Site or establish a new Design Fee for Your Designs."

Future plans perhaps; I'm not sure. But they're covering themselves well.

Thank you for the effort, this is interesting. I'm not sure how are they planning to charge fees if you sell any instruction on other platforms.

I see the colour "flesh" has been changed to "nougat".  I hope there are few other changes; I'm not a fan of "earth green" for "dark green", "bright reddish violet" for "magenta" etc.