leafan

TLG acquires Bricklink

16 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

@vermontcathy Just change the set number for your flower tree build to 25. That way only people who understand binary will get it! :wink:

Ha. Yeah, that'll work for THAT set...

But seriously, I'm not even sure it's the set number that causes the flag because I have other models with set numbers that didn't get flagged. At this point, I was about to say that I think all models are being flagged for some reason (a bug, a mistake). But I uploaded a "model" of a single brick, no set names, numbers, Lego lines, etc. and just now I see it was not flagged: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=126070

And although earlier today, it seemed like all recent uploads were set as Display Only (flagged), some recent ones now allow you to download the Studio file. 

Maybe the rule (among others) is that you can't have a set number in the name, and the bots just haven't yet got to my unflagged models? I'll try uploading the tree flower again with no set number and see what happens. But I refuse to remove the set number from the names - that's how I sort my models so I can find a what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, vermontcathy said:

Maybe the rule (among others) is that you can't have a set number in the name, and the bots just haven't yet got to my unflagged models?

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

Just change the set number for your flower tree build to 25.

Well, if that number issue proves to be true: The binary to decimal conversion @Pdaitabird suggested is very clever but may have serious restrictions.

The hexadecimal notation used in VB6(:innocent2:) may work though, where you put the "&H" first and the hexadecimal number. VB6 development came to an end 20 years ago - I firmly believe that no TLG bot catches "&H2AF9" as set number "11001". "&H" is totally weird by itself ... and you can use the native Win10 calculator to easily convert the remaining hex numbers.

That way you'd make the TLG bots look dumb AND you can still use the number to find your sets ...

Just kidding. I liked the 25 very much.

Best
Thorsten 

Hexadecimals may be enough differentiation to that someone not well versed in the ways of bricks wouldn't confuse it with a real TLG product.  :pir_laugh2:

Do you know how many people were downloading instructions/ designs before the change? For licensed MOCs of popular subjects I imagine it is quite high. For alternate builds of smaller sets I imagine less so.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Do you know how many people were downloading instructions/ designs before the change? For licensed MOCs of popular subjects I imagine it is quite high. For alternate builds of smaller sets I imagine less so.

Surprisingly, they were downloaded a decent amount. I say surprising, because I use it for the online 3D steps. But when it's someone else's model, and they may remove it at any time, I guess downloading the Studio file is safest. As an example, this silly little tiger, posted for just over a year, has been downloaded 117 times. This elephant, up for less than a year, 126 times. 

The hexadecimal thing is cute, kind of a secret code, but that's the problem - it's secret. If I want people to know that it's an alt of a certain set, how do I tell them which set? I've got one that hasn't been flagged (yet) that doesn't have the set number in the name/title but does have it in the description. But I want it in the name, for sorting purposes. 

I've got one model re-submitted with the set number listed as 1.1.0.0.1. We'll see if that gets flagged or accepted. 

I stumbled upon the Lego AMA. Haven't found any info about it here.

9. Is the LEGO Group planning to enforce an element availability that strictly matches S@H? If so, does this not really limit AFOL creativity?
To clarify, we are not placing such a restriction on brick availability on the site. Sellers can continue to sell LEGO elements (e.g. old/retired) that are not currently in production.

Do I get the last sentence wrong? Sellers will not be allowed to sell Lego elements, which are currently produced by TLG?

Just now, LegoFjotten said:

You got it wrong. 

But still... the last sentence... "Sellers can continue to sell LEGO elements (e.g. old/retired) that are not currently in production."

Just now, Andman said:

But still... the last sentence... "Sellers can continue to sell LEGO elements (e.g. old/retired) that are not currently in production."

Your are looking too much at the answer, and not enough at what the question being answered was. :classic:

My simplified version of the question & answer:

Q: "Will you only allow sellers to sell elements that are currently in production?"

A: "No, sellers can continue to sell old/retired elements".

Now the latest:

No one can use the term Bricklink in a shop name. Bricklink is now a TLG trademark. 

Taxes.

41 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Taxes

I knew that was gonna happen eventually. From what we know so far, how high will those taxes be?

8 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I knew that was gonna happen eventually. From what we know so far, how high will those taxes be?

VAT in the EU, but in the US the sales tax is set by the state :wacko:. It will vary depending on your location and will not be a flat cost across the site.

Is the EU taxes a new feature?  It seems like the US sales taxes option was there before TLG.

https://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=2467

Sales tax rates are set by the government of your country, region, state, city, etc.

Sales tax varies a lot per country (and per product type)

Germany recently lowered it from 19% to 16% recently, that's why Brickset's Euro prices are weird , and the German LEGO Store as well.

For example a €100 set is  € 97,47 in Germany now.

Within the European Union, there are special rules, where VAT is based on the Delivery adress, so buying from Germany still would apply Netherlands VAT (21%) in the end.

Importing goods from Outside an EU country will add a lot of added calculations like Customs Clearance Fee (for the shipping company), Import Duties, and VAT on top of the total, varies per country.

Edited by TeriXeri

It was down to each seller to register for VAT. 

In the UK at least, your business has to register for VAT on transactions, but if you are selling on a small scale, (yard sale, gumtree etc) then it is not taxable. 

It looks like it will now be requisite for all. Which sucks if you are a small-fry selling off unwanted parts/figures from the odd set.

I once again state that I think there will be issues on the sale of lisenced figures in the future.

So, I'm really confused about something - I got an email saying I still needed to accept the Terms and Conditions for Bricklink to keep my account active. So I went to the T&C page, but... there's no button or checkbox or anything to actually accept them. I tried emailing Bricklink customer service but haven't heard back. What am I missing here?

Last year, those AFOL designer program sets shipped from the US, so would cost a lot more then the advertised price.

Sets over €150, would apply Customs Clearance Charges (€13 for PostNL for example), and then another 4.7% import duties for Toys, and then another 21% over the total for VAT.

Sets over €22 would still apply 21% VAT.

(numbers apply from Outside EU to The Netherlands)

Edited by TeriXeri

45 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

I once again state that I think there will be issues on the sale of lisenced figures in the future.

I really hope not. That would be a massive issue for people who want to army build and such.

Although depending on wording, they could maybe get around selling whole "figures" and just sell the parts individually, but I'm not holding my breath for such a legal oversight.

I don't get it. If you're not a professional and reselling your own Lego for which you've *already* paid VAT (which you obviously can't deduct because you're not a pro/you don't have a VAT number), how on earth would you have to add VAT again? Is that even legal to enforce that?

Bill are gonna rise by around 20% for Europe, that's gonna suck. (but good for Brickowl, I guess)

Edited by anothergol

Still, for bricklink and small purchases , for now, before the full brexit (31 December 2020?) buying something from the UK is already expensive compared to a few years ago due to the shipping cost really have increased quite a bit.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

In recent years, shipping from UK to NL has skyrocketed, especially for things that won't fit into a mailbox.

also shipping FROM the NL (even to me as a neighbor country) has always sucked. Too bad that it's also one of the countries that have the most shops.

4 minutes ago, anothergol said:

Bill are gonna rise by around 20% for Europe, that's gonna suck.

I think within the EU, only the difference between countries would apply.

I buy some LEGO from Amazon.de, especially before Amazon.nl existed, and now since they lowered their VAT from 19 to 16% , the difference on checkout is more noticeable (from 2% to 5% VAT difference with NL 's 21%)

But buying from the UK after 2021, would add 21% over the total if it's over €22 I believe that's how it would work.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I think within the EU, only the difference between countries would apply.

Right now German VAT is 16% while NL VAT is 21% , so 5% difference, not 20%.

But that's for those who already apply (most likely because they're registered businesses and deduct it when they buy the sets) it.

I don't see how reselling what you've already paid the VAT on should require you to add it again. Like, is Ebay doing that?

-normally- the only thing that should require VAT is Lego's own service, that is, what they charge to sellers. That's the only "value" that has been "added".

38 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Will this added VAT affect only the sellers or the buyers too? 

Obviously sellers are not gonna swallow it - so buyers only I assume. (but only from sellers who weren't already applying it. So most likely tiny/"used" shops)

Edited by anothergol