I thought for some bit about getting 42110. As a car enthusiast and MOC builder, I have always loved the Technic manufacturer cars, owning the Arocs, Porsche, Bugatti, and even the Corvette. All those sets wielded me some very useful pieces to make future MOCs with.

However, the Land Rover set doesn't seem like a good buy for me...

1. I have a lot of Lego already.
  2. It's expensive.
  3. I'm not into Land Rover, even though I think the new Defender is cool.
  4. The pieces. The lockable differential and the new wheels are the only pieces that I can find use with, and there's not many good ideas I have for green MOCs.

I thought about getting the Porsche 911 RSR instead because of its white pieces, but the fenders have prints. :sad:

So I guess I'll take a pass on both cars, what is your opinion on the new Defender set?

The Defender has given me the best kicks ever. You have no idea how many grown-ups with the right to vote and start a family can't grasp the kinderleicht concept of "turn that UV jount 90° to fix the wonky transmission" - not even with step-by-step visual support.

The landy has good looks, is an interesting build with a so they say hard to build gearbox and is highly MOD-able.  Even the designer had made an RC version of it. (with parts from the 42099) It is one of my all time favorites!

49124702871_595c4c3dc2_c.jpg

StudWorks - from the reasons you provide, sounds like it may not be the best buy for you.

For me, it's been fantastic fun.  The first set over £100 that I've bought, I've enjoyed the old school engineering of it and the fact it you're not paying a large amount because of power functions.  I think it's a good base for modding, whether small little mods or bigger projects.  I'll have it as a display piece that I gradually mod.  I built it with my 6 year old daughter who insisted on helping even though she can't connect some pieces together but she got upset if I pushed on without her, so it took us over 3 weeks to do it together, but was great fun in doing so.

I don't build big MOCs so not sure whether it is a good buy from the point of view of sourcing pieces, the colour probably doesn't help in this respect.  Maybe try and pick up a used one in a few months.

11 hours ago, StudWorks said:

However, the Land Rover set doesn't seem like a good buy for me...

I feel the same way. The 42110 still hasn't persuaded me to buy it.  After the Porsche and Bugatti, the Defender feels like more of the same thing: a big licensed car with suspension, custom rims and a complicated gearbox. As a set, it's not distinctive enough in its feature for me to justify another expensive big car set. Regarding the original colour: I experience it mainly as an obstacle to modify the set substantially. Additionally, the fact that the fender part only comes in this green for now, discourages rebuilding it in another colour. The real car seems cool, but I haven't seen it in real life so it hasn't caught my imagination. I might consider a second hand purchase some years from now, but for now it is a pass.

I loved the set.   And I also have 42056 and 83.  Though they offer alot of the same thing, as others have pointed out, and overly-complicated gear-boxes, I have fun learning about them and building them.  And for the price, well.... it is a better value IMO than either 42056 or 83. 

Also, I think there are huge differences between at least 42056, 83 and 42110.  42083 and 42110 are much more dense.  IMO the building techniques much more interesting and sophisticated.   Build for each was much more fun and appreciated than 42056. 

Edited by nerdsforprez

I'm not interested in supercars in general, the Bugatti for example is totally uninteresting to me. Land Rover on the other hand I find quite an interesting, as it's functionally equal to the best of supercars, yet it's something more than another car that goes fast and does nothing else. I haven't gotten it though, as the new colour doesn't offer large enough parts palette, at least not for now. Maybe some day.

My honest opinion is if you can afford it and you like color go for it. Those two mentioned "dissadvantages" i have found about Landy because where I live it is to expensive and this green is not my color choice, but Defender has a cult status if you asked me; there are only two off-roaders IMHO: Defender and G-class 

I dont care much for off roaders at all, nor do i care about buying sets as a parts pack (and due to the unique colour this would be a bad one anyway)

But i will buy the defender, simply because i enjoyed the chiron so much that i just had to hunt down a used gt3rs, and i loved building that so much that i know ill love building and modding the defender

I might wait a while though, and build it in pimp my defender spec right away

I agree with vectormatic, def worth looking at jb70's pimp my defender MOC.  Makes the complicated gearbox even more interesting!

I like this set and may pull the trigger buying it in the near future. It will be the first bigger set I bought after 42054. 

Generally, I keep skipping the sets recent years, instead I just collect the parts with new mold/color to keep my part list up to date.

But 42110 seems to be a good part donator to me this time, because it has plenty of olive green and 4 big useful wheels.

Despite there aren't many kinds of olive green parts yet, olive green is better than any of the other for military MOCs especially combining with dark tan.

For the wheels, despite it is customized for Defender, its geometry is more realistic and it can be used with different existing tires unlike the wheels of 42056/42083.

Edited by falconluan

On 12/8/2019 at 1:18 AM, Bartybum said:

Hell yeah it was worth it

+1

Got it about a week ago and spent two full evenings building it. Interesting, enjoyable build, with Milan's signature all over it. The way all the gearbox parts are joined together and finally secured to the base frame are next-level stuff. The looks are absolutely stunning, and some interesting techniques are used on the front bodywork to create all the 0.5 stud offsets. Enough has been said about the gears not running so smooth, but overall I think the set is worth it (I have to say that I got it at about 60% of normal MSRP, don't know if I would pay the full monty to be honest...)

I have more parts than I can ever use. For me this was a really nice build, a very good starting point for mocs, and a few nice ideas for my own creations. Among other things it triggered a new idea for how to control a gearbox combining several known methods in a new way (more on this once I have a working prototype).

I find it a nice parts package as well if it can be had for a good price (i.e. wait a year or two). Surprisingly few parts are in the ugly greenish color... And there is quite a number of useful parts as well as 5! really nice rims for making advanced suspension setups on mocs. 

All in all I found it well worth it. But only for the right price. No way I would have bought it unless it was 30% off normal retail price.

-ED-

I think it's especially worth it now, since the designer is actually now working on a B-model trophy truck:

Interesting that many people find it as a good parts pack. I can only see the rims as (very) interesting, other than that, hardly anything. 1 pc of blue clutch gear, 2 black frames, 2 pc of biscuit things.

@Lipko don't forget two yellow clutchgear extension rings, 1x orange wave selector and some more standard gearbox and suspension bits. Although I have more gearbox and suspension (or actually any kind of) parts than I can ever use in MOCs, it is still a nice parts selection and certainly a good addition to any small/medium LEGO collection.

18 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I think it's especially worth it now, since the designer is actually now working on a B-model trophy truck:

Cool in progress B model. Interesting that he has the engine speed going faster with the lower gear in this one, but in the A model it is the opposite.

Just now, Meatman said:

Interesting that he has the engine speed going faster with the lower gear in this one, but in the A model it is the opposite.

Free building vs license restrictions? Maybe Landrover wanted the engine/gears this way around because kids would link high gear with high speeds and engine speed is the only thing that changes when shifting gears?

3 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Free building vs license restrictions? Maybe Landrover wanted the engine/gears this way around because kids would link high gear with high speeds and engine speed is the only thing that changes when shifting gears?

Could be. But you would think that a auto manufacturer would want things as similar to real life as possible. Anyone that has ever driven a car knows that the lower the gear, the higher the RPM, which is why you need to change gears. If it were me, I would want kids to start off in the right direction.

Edited by Meatman

I fully agree with you there, but we're both adults and have (probably) driven our fair share of cars, so we might be a bit biased there... It could also have been a (TLG?)marketing-driven decision.

Anyway, it's good to see that Milan knows how to properly assemble a geartrain to an engine (duh...), so I expect some kind of external requirement towards the Defender setup.

6 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

I fully agree with you there, but we're both adults and have (probably) driven our fair share of cars, so we might be a bit biased there... It could also have been a (TLG?)marketing-driven decision.

Anyway, it's good to see that Milan knows how to properly assemble a geartrain to an engine (duh...), so I expect some kind of external requirement towards the Defender setup.

Could be. I guess that we'll see when the new UCS car comes out next year.

Edited by Meatman