Sign in to follow this  
dikkie klijn

[MOC] 1:16 Volvo FMX with Palfinger PK78002 SH

49112512032_98a72abbcb_z.jpg

The Volvo FMX is an oddly styled truck, its bulldog nose like design stood out to me instantly. Having an inherent weakness for the odd I decided to build one all the way back in 2015. Four years later I proudly present my latest model :). Developing the Palfinger crane took the better half of the development time for this model. In order to house all the electronics necessary a flatbed truck design was chosen with 4 axles, 2 under the bed and 2 to support the crane and cabin.

49112513732_b9047c359d.jpg49112322716_62b2621996.jpg

The crane is operated by 3 servo-controlled pneumatic switches, the newer style switch allowed me to build this more compact than we ever could! The Pneumatic cylinders for the extension sections have been modified to allow for a more realistic reach. Two original cylinders were cut and acetone welded together for each one of them. The compressor is powered by an L motor and assisted by a rubber band to reach the pressures necessary to operate the crane. The crane is able to reach the back of the bed, as was my goal, but isn't able to lift much anymore then, the limit of pneumatic control is really stretched when a single-cylinder needs to push an arm of 30+cm on a point 5 studs away from the pivot point.

49111815588_44bd262482_z.jpg

49112319991_32e7c59dfb_z.jpg

With all this functionality, details are fun but also frustrating to add. Two tiny tool compartments have been fitted on the rear of the truck stowing away lifting equipment. The engine is only built for the upper 2/3 to accommodate for the suspended axles and steering mechanisms. The model is also fitted with a full custom led kit. A custom electronics board with an Arduino pro mini takes the signals from the Sbricks and converts them into turn signals, driving lights, hazard lights and much much more. More can be seen on the Flickr album and in the Youtube video!

Edited by dikkie klijn

Fantastic model! What I love most is the way you combined the best of two different worlds: the Technic functions and the Model Team / Creator Expert bodywork. Hopefully we won't have to wait another four years for your next model!