Sign in to follow this  
Lego David

Will Hidden Side Age Well?

So I think the biggest problem with Hidden Side is that It won't age very well after it will retire. The app will be defunct within two years after the theme ends, and a lot of the theme seems like it's trying to appeal to current trends...  So I am curious, how do you think Hidden Side will age after it retires? 

With the second wave I feel they are leaning a little bit too much on the app side of the theme with the ghosts being heavily featured on the box art and the "transformation" play feature of the sets being minimal compared to the first wave, so yeah, in that regard the theme wont age well. But some sets are pretty cool nonetheless. The school remains as the best HS set to date 

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The school remains as the best HS set to date 

Shame they ruined it using an insane amount of stickers.

I love the theme & couldn’t care less about the app. So for me they’ll age just fine because the sets I have/will get(haves-Graveyard, Boat, & Bus. Just need the Shack) will always be usable either in my town or with Apocalypseburg, where I have the bus with a few HS things taken off. 

The second wave is a bit lacking compared to the first, but I still like it. The minifigs are fantastic in both waves. 

I think the trendiness of the theme's focus on hip young kids with cell phones has the potential to make the theme seem "retro" in the future, if anything. Then again, I often prefer when themes try to capitalize on a really specific sort of aesthetic rather than opting for a more generic, "timeless" sort of look. It makes them that much less likely to be rendered "obsolete" by whatever subsequent iteration revisits the same sort of subject matter with several more years worth of new parts and set design in its favor.

The app is a trickier thing—Lego's apps do generally have a more limited lifespan, as technology races forward and the optimization of newer apps has to take priority over maintaining previous ones. That said, I personally find Hidden Side's builds to be pretty solid with or without the app features.

A few of the sets will age well and be sought after aftermarket going forward. The School, the Shrimp Shack, the Lighthouse seem good candidates. Maybe the School Bus. Most of the others not so much. Does anybody remember those special tablet game pieces that came with Ultra Agents? 

8 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Does anybody remember those special tablet game pieces that came with Ultra Agents? 

Yeah,  those pieces are pretty much useless now... 

Edited by Lego David

I think it will age better than Fusion and Life of George. Without the app, the sets are still decent.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:55 AM, Lego David said:

So I think the biggest problem with Hidden Side is that It won't age very well after it will retire. The app will be defunct within two years after the theme ends, and a lot of the theme seems like it's trying to appeal to current trends...  So I am curious, how do you think Hidden Side will age after it retires? 

Sets are still good without the app and I wouldn’t say too many current trends, people have been wearing beanies, varsity jackets and baseball caps for decades! 

8 hours ago, OwenMistika said:

I wouldn’t say too many current trends, people have been wearing beanies, varsity jackets and baseball caps for decades!

Well yes, but things such as Teenagers with Phones is definitely not a thing that has been around for decades.

14 hours ago, Lego David said:

Well yes, but things such as Teenagers with Phones is definitely not a thing that has been around for decades.

People have always had phones, and aren’t we forgetting the gothic 30’s out there style monster fighters had? That I’m not sure aged well

If you take care of the plastic sets, they should age fine.  Software can be more challenging if it depends on an external service or server to work (ie. LEGO® Universe) and that service is no longer available in the future.

The kids who have the sets today will probably get all nostalgic about them when they're adults.

Hate to say it but I called it! I said HS would be a fad theme and will lose relevance after the app expired, not to mention the slew of problems already discussed among us AFOLS.

Had the sets been built more solid and less app-dependent it would have had a viable chance. Unfortunately LEGO invested too much money into an idea that business analysts said was a failure from the start and they are forcing themselves to release this junky Wave 2 to save face and make back all the money lost on this theme.

The school would be way better if it were bigger. It's way too crowded, something LEGO has been doing. Bring back the Simpsons House or Haunted House.

As for people saying MF won't age well... um, you do know most of our horror films from which MF derived are from the "gothic 30s" era right? I didn't like the steampunk component for that theme but it was still a solid monster theme where its rooms in its buildings or vehicles weren't crowded.

All HS ever was is a way for LEGO to try and capture this Pokemon Go craze. Only in a safer way since the ghosts are in the set and they don't have to go outside looking for ghosts.

Plus... and I have noticed this with LEGO... I feel like they will be getting the license back for the new Ghostbusters movie sets (Playmobil has it now) and they wanted a theme to carry interest into it.

MF was actually more of a carry-over theme for Scooby Doo, since if you look at the original designs for the MF theme, it pretty much was Scooby Doo.

Unfortunately those wacky color schemes don't mesh well with MF's seagreen colors.

21 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

to save face and make back all the money lost on this theme.

There is no proof the they lost money with this theme. If the first wave would have "lost money" than the second wave would have been instantly canceled.

Hate to say it but I called it! I said HS would be a fad theme and will lose relevance after the app expired, not to mention the slew of problems already discussed among us AFOLS.

You don't need the app to play with any of the sets. So it is already better than Fusion for example, that really needed the app to use the sets. My son has a few HS sets and plays with them without the app.

Had the sets been built more solid and less app-dependent it would have had a viable chance. Unfortunately LEGO invested too much money into an idea that business analysts said was a failure from the start and they are forcing themselves to release this junky Wave 2 to save face and make back all the money lost on this theme.

I don't understand this comment. If they have lost money on Wave 1 (which I doubt), then how are they going to make money on Wave 2 by doing the same thing with an even junkier line-up?

The school would be way better if it were bigger. It's way too crowded, something LEGO has been doing. Bring back the Simpsons House or Haunted House.

If it were bigger, it would cost more. And the play value is not likely to be increased by adding more parts. It would just be a bigger school that costs more.

I don't see Hidden Side aging any worse than Ultra Agents, Nexo Knights, Galaxy Squad, Altantis, etc.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, OwenMistika said:

People have always had phones, and aren’t we forgetting the gothic 30’s out there style monster fighters had? That I’m not sure aged well

Ahem, excuse me, but the aesthetics and look of 1930's will always be timeless... :tongue: ...give me that any day over the Apple/Ikea-tinged eyebores that permeate today's design sensibilities... :thumbdown: :sadnew:

The+Unknown+Worker+34x60.jpg?format=500w

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

There is no proof the they lost money with this theme. If the first wave would have "lost money" than the second wave would have been instantly canceled.

Not when LEGO jumped the gun and already made the sets in the first place. I don't know if you've been paying attention to their corporate literature but LEGO is desperate and not in very good shape right now.

LEGO has been "desperate and in not very good shape" for about twenty years! I think the theme's sets are fairly solid. Don't care about the app. I think the greatest weakness is the timing of the marketing since the theme had been on the horizon for a long time and when it suddenly arrived, from my perspective it looked like there wasn't much fanfare at all.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:04 PM, kelceycoe said:

As for people saying MF won't age well... um, you do know most of our horror films from which MF derived are from the "gothic 30s" era right? I didn't like the steampunk component for that theme but it was still a solid monster theme where its rooms in its buildings or vehicles weren't crowded.

All HS ever was is a way for LEGO to try and capture this Pokemon Go craze. Only in a safer way since the ghosts are in the set and they don't have to go outside looking for ghosts.

Plus... and I have noticed this with LEGO... I feel like they will be getting the license back for the new Ghostbusters movie sets (Playmobil has it now) and they wanted a theme to carry interest into it.

MF was actually more of a carry-over theme for Scooby Doo, since if you look at the original designs for the MF theme, it pretty much was Scooby Doo.

Unfortunately those wacky color schemes don't mesh well with MF's seagreen colors.

There’s so much wrong in this rant, I don’t know where to begin.

HS was never aimed at the AFOL market, and yes, it’s far from perfect but there’s some interesting elements and kids (you know, the target demographic) love the theme. My son and his friends certainly do.

We can agree to disagree on EB but please stop presenting such ill-informed angry opinions as facts. 

The first wave of sets I think will be timeless (especially the school), but the 2nd wave I believe will hurt it going forward but the lighthouse from it I can see being timeless (as it look so much better compare to other lighthouse from previous years IMO).

App game on the other hand would definitely be forgotten, even that gimmick on the sets used for the app.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, Lego David said:

So I am curious, how do you think Hidden Side will age after it retires? 

Does it really matter? Live in the now and enjoy the sets for what they are today. :classic:

On 11/27/2019 at 4:04 PM, kelceycoe said:

junky Wave 2 to save face and make back all the money lost on this theme.

Yikes! David and Lucarex have said so much on this but I’ll leave it brief:

Hidden Side had two waves! Monster fighters only had one 

11 hours ago, OwenMistika said:

Yikes! David and Lucarex have said so much on this but I’ll leave it brief:

Hidden Side had two waves! Monster fighters only had one 

Yeah. And besides, isn't Monster fighters meant to be a one and done type of theme like Dino and Pharaoh's Quest?

Just have a single wave or year and nothing else.

The second wave may be underwhelming but don't forget that it's a winter wave and generally speaking winter waves are rather weak. 

And don't forget that we're getting a 3rd wave this summer and I'm expecting this wave to have impressive sets like the school.

Sorry for the rambling got a little of topic back there but all I'm trying to say is let's wait for HD to run it's course before we judge it.