Sign in to follow this  
cyclone501

Way to make a minifig-usable grappling hook.

Alright, so, as long as I've been a Pirate fanatic (loooong time :pir-classic: ) I've wanted a Lego grappling hook that the people could actually hold on to. I mean, all the grappling hooks are on spools. minifigs can't swing on spools and maintain their reality! Same with the ropes used as rigging that monkeys and cabin boys climb on. So here is my idea. Take a lego spider-man web, paint it brown (or something), snip off the stud at one end, and tie on a grappling hook. I can't do this because I never got a spiderman or a pirate set and I've lost my grappling hook and I'm to broke to buy anything on bricklink :pir-hmpf::pir-cry_sad::pir_bawling: .

Are you talking about one of these:

x64.jpg

(they do come in brown :pir-wink: )

and one of these:

x75.jpg

How about a slightly similar idea only using 3mm hose?

Tie a string to the end of the grappling hook.

Cut a short length of 3mm hose.

Slide the string through the 3mm hose.

Add a drop of glue when the hose is at the end of the string.

Hows that? :pir-classic:

I think he means that minifigs can't hold onto the string, and also that all grappling hook parts are attached to reels. To solve this, just use a small blob of bluetack on the inside of their hand when they're holding the string. Or, if you're using the thick stern to prow string, tie a knot.

I'm not sure what the spider's web was about :pir-blush:

Actually, Phred was right. And I didn't know they came in brown (I can't get my hands on old Legos these days.) Anyway, yeah. Oops. And also, SlyOwl, I don't want the figs hands stuck for all eternity on a rope.

This is an interesting idea - but how would one incorporate this into a Pirate MOC?

They'd work well for pirates boarding a merchant ship no doubt!

D'oh, And I was thinking you were referring to this:

x57.gif

:pir-blush:

This is an interesting idea - but how would one incorporate this into a Pirate MOC?

They'd work well for pirates boarding a merchant ship no doubt!

Answering your own questions, aren't you? :pir-grin:

Well that is one possibility, surely a grappling hook would have more possibility in the world of Pirates. I'm too stumped to think of anymore at this juncture which is why I asked everyone else. :pir-classic:

Lots of grappling hooks were used in Pirate of the Caribbean.

after seeing the movie, i bought like 20 of them. :pir-grin:

I was just going to have little strings tied to them and that was it.

If i wanted a M-F to pose with one hanging or repelling off of a grappling hook, i'd probably wrap the string around the M-F's wrist a few times. :thumbup:

They work good as anchors for small boats too.

Like for small gun boats and junks.

Lots of grappling hooks were used in Pirate of the Caribbean.

after seeing the movie, i bought like 20 of them. :pir-grin:

You mean real grappling hooks or LEGO grappling hooks? Is there a LEGO grappling hook? It seems like something you'd find in a Batman set.

You mean real grappling hooks or LEGO grappling hooks? Is there a LEGO grappling hook? It seems like something you'd find in a Batman set.
yep

Thanx Captain ads. Although try to elaborate on your posts or quote the person you're replying to to decrease confusion. :pir-wink:

Lego Grapling hooks are real! :pir-laugh:

You can find find all the B-L stores that sell them in this pic-link that i posted earlier :pir-grin:

x75.jpg