Hello I need your help because I have an old lego rcx 2.0 and unfortunately it does not start anymore.
I cleaned up all the electrical contacts, checked the batteries.
the current is coming to the pcb but unfortunately it does not turn on.

if you want some pictures ask me.:wink:

Thank you for your help.

-B95z2

Yes: Need pictures. What contacts did you clean ("all" as in getting to the PCB, taking that out?) etc.

One issue with not getting RCX' "on" are the four "rubber" type buttons. Clean off the PCB board contacts with some ethanol and a clean piece of cloth. Do the same (carefully) to the carbon black coated rubber contacts (the "keys").

As PM will currently not work for you (you need more posts) - use tbenter(AT)uni-wuppetal.de for sending pics.

Best of luck,
Thorsten

Hello 

I did as you told me to clean the contacts of the buttons and the PCB still does not turn on.
where do you think this problem comes from?
if you want pictures tell me what part?
-B95z2

5 hours ago, B95z2 said:

where do you think this problem comes from?

Well - that can be so many things. However, when it doesn't do anything, then usually power is not going into the pcb.

The photographs thought are of help. You said, that you cleaned all contacts and current is going to the pcb.

• How did you check that?
  • On the pcb? That requires to have the batteries connected. Did you do that? (you can attach the lower part to the battery compartment and work on the pcb top).
  • In this case: There is a blue capacitor (photograph #2, top center). When the batteries are attached, do you have a volt meter to measure the voltage on the two pins of that capacitor? 

On photograph #2 there is substantial corrosion (lower left corner) on the pcb that connects to the battery supply.

• Did you take that photograph before or after cleaning?

Sorry for asking all these questions, but we need to go one step after the other through this, as I don't know what you already did and what you can do. 

There is hope!

(I will now take apart one of my RCX' and then let you know step by step how we can proceed with this. I'll start with the battery voltage going into the RCX, then will check, what turns actually on when the RCX is turned on).

All the best
Thorsten

I have a voltmeter and I measured the voltage at the two pins coming out of the battery pack and it was 9 volts.
on the other hand I noticed that there was no current that went to the capacitor.
and I took the picture after cleaning the PCB but the corrosion I did not dare to remove it in case if the metal below still made contact

this is my volt meter

https://imgur.com/gallery/1s3cusa