Cylo

[SPOILER] The Mandalorian Discussion

For those who haven't watched it yet, spoiler alert!

Anyways I thought I'd start a topic for those who have watched it to discuss. 

Only 2 episodes have been released but I'm quite excited for the next few.

Spoiler

Personally, I think it's off to a great start despite being a sequel, it explores some interesting concepts that otherwise wouldn't have appeared. Also the baby Yoda's species (yes thats the name) looks really cute and I wonder what would happen later.

What did you guys think about it?

Is it necessary to put actual plot things in spoiler tags? 'cause it already warns about spoilers in the topic title?

Anyway, all in all this is an excellent series so far. I love seeing more of the Mandalorian culture, such as the actual forging of armor and such :wub: 

Spoiler

Ohmygod, that last episode! *oh2* 
I knew Mandalorian was gonna go and rescue The Child (I won't be calling it 'Baby Yoda'), but at first I was afraid the other Mandalorians wouldn't appreciate it and throw him out of the group (or however that works), but I was so glad to see the exact opposite. That was such an awesome scene, near the end.
Also, I loved it when Mandalorian said 'Gotta get me one of those' regarding a jetpack, 'cause I was wondering the same thing, 'when will he get one' :grin: 

Can't wait for the next one! Which would be next friday, yes? :purrr:

Regards,
Mitch

I’m loving the show. It definitely has an old school SW vibe to it.

The Child is amazing as he is adorable. The feelings for that little thing these past two episodes have been something. I was like, you can’t leave him there! I did find it funny how Cara Dune was talking about how hard it is to take down a Chicken Walker...thinking a bunch of scrawny bears did it with logs. It’s a shame that’s all we got of it, considering it’s a set. We better see a Razor Creat with The Child as a baby mold.

Aw man, another great episode :excited:

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Child is amazing as he is adorable. The feelings for that little thing these past two episodes have been something. I was like, you can’t leave him there! I did find it funny how Cara Dune was talking about how hard it is to take down a Chicken Walker...thinking a bunch of scrawny bears did it with logs. It’s a shame that’s all we got of it, considering it’s a set. We better see a Razor Creat with The Child as a baby mold.

Spoiler

Lol, 'chicken walker' :grin: 
I was pleased to finally see the events that inspired that set and now I'm even more appreciative of the LEGO version.
The Child becomes more adorable with every episode, probably because he (right?) sort of does more every time as well :wub: 
It's also great to see how The Mandalorian interacts with him, creating some very funny scenes, in my opinion.

Can't wait to see how the story goes on! I believe we're halfway through this season now, right?

Regards,
Mitch

9 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

Aw man, another great episode :excited:

Hide contents

Lol, 'chicken walker' :grin: 
I was pleased to finally see the events that inspired that set and now I'm even more appreciative of the LEGO version.
The Child becomes more adorable with every episode, probably because he (right?) sort of does more every time as well :wub: 
It's also great to see how The Mandalorian interacts with him, creating some very funny scenes, in my opinion.

Can't wait to see how the story goes on! I believe we're halfway through this season now, right?

Regards,
Mitch

Sadly...we are halfway through. I was wondering when & how the set would show up & curious to Cara Dune, so it was nice to finally see both. It’s a shame they didn’t stick together though. I believe the Child is a he, pretty sure Mando said as much. I don’t know what it is, but that little guy has me giddy when he moved about last episode. I just love him. They have a merch gold mine on their hands with him.

Uh since spoiler is in the title I'm going to not put my stuff in spoiler things?

Anyways...

I don't think it's as great as people are saying. So far it's... fine.

It feels Star Warsy. The art is spot on. As always.

The music is... well nothing can match John Williams and we've felt it in the non-main Star Wars movies and we feel it here. The music is average.

The story is okay. I don't know where it's going. It could get great. But it doesn't exactly pull you in as well as other great TV shows. I expect the BEST OF THE BEST from Star Wars in some manner. Shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones (earlier seasons) have upped the quality of storytelling on TV. I don't think this has matched those... But it's still decent.

The place it lacks the most is character.

The main character... has no character. It's a stoic boring guy. Seems to have a sense of honor or something. Stoic. Might have feelings. Has hinted as such especially in the last episode. But they're trying to keep him mysterious which IMO doesn't work and just makes him a boring stoic guy. And the only main supporting character is a baby... who while cute... has barely more personality than a light saber. Baby does cute things. Baby does more cute things. Baby has unrealistically powerful powers (come on man, the power boost baby Yoda has is ridiculous... it's even farther than Rey and I loved Episode 7).

The supporting non-main characters... I think the lady had promise. But I think she was a one-off character. The first old man that lasted two episodes and said "I have spoken" too much was boring and kind of lame. I'm glad he didn't last.

It's looking like it's going down the Rogue One route of a story that can be interesting but bland characters. But we're only 4 episodes in. Maybe once we actually see this guy's face we'll see SOME character. I assume we're not seeing his face until like the last episode.

This series feels more like a series that would be AMAZING if it released in the early 2000s. But at this point it's kind of... well if you took out the Star Wars and put in a generic scifi or fantasy instead, I bam sure it would get a fraction of the praise. I really do. It's not as good as some other Sci-Fis or Fantasy series out there. Frankly it's not in my top 10. Probably not in my top 20. But it's only 4 episodes in so... maybe it grows on me assuming it's character gets less boring and gets some supporting characters besides a baby designed to sell merchandise.

I cannot for the life of me see why it's getting so much praise. It's just NOT that good. So far I'd give it a 7/10. 

8 hours ago, BrickG said:

I cannot for the life of me see why it's getting so much praise. It's just NOT that good. So far I'd give it a 7/10. 

It's getting all of the praise from people who are already into Star Wars, and that's primarily who is talking about it. Someone who has never seen Star Wars is either not watching it or doesn't care enough to post a comment/article/video about it. I have seen some web reviewers who clearly aren't huge SW fans, and they're in the same good/fine, not great boat as you.

Trying to look at it objectively, The Mandalorian delivers on the core aspects that I think made people like the OT in the first place. None of the films are 10/10 in terms of originality with the story or writing in general, but they are in terms of world-building and commitment to their universe, with some endearing characters, memorable corny dialogue, and neat inventive designs. The Mandalorian absolutely delivers on the committed world-building, good designs (if nothing super new), and memorable corny dialogue.

I'd argue that they've done well making the titular Mando more than the stoic guy trope, and making him endearing. Personally I found the second episode to be too much filler, but what it did do was show more of the Mando's personality and the fact that he's not invincible. Dude got bested by a bunch of Jawas (in a way that was totally plausible, to boot). Then he gets trashed by the beast. Plus, he seems a bit frazzled by the situation and over it. That's enough more than the Clint Eastwood man-with-no-name or Dirty Harry character to be interesting.

Baby Yoda is just endearing because he's cute, but people love cute.

I haven't loved every second, and for me the "I have spoken" and "This is the way" lines were too far into corny territory, but I like that they've gone with just fairly small fry adventures so far, showing a slice of life in the universe.

I think the child + faceless hero combo works well. 

Some of the action and dialogue is a bit corny but overall it's endearing. There a nice contrast with the main character that had a very crappy childhood that has a chance to protect the child and keep him happy. 

The show offers us to see character progression too; The mandalorian is not an ultimate badass with no chance to grow; he gets his megablocks kicked and he takes more than he can bite. This is unlike the vast majority of star wars stories where the heroes simply fight their way in and the stakes are very low (Rebels and Resistance, a big chunk of clone wars too )

18 hours ago, BrickG said:

The supporting non-main characters... I think the lady had promise. But I think she was a one-off character. The first old man that lasted two episodes and said "I have spoken" too much was boring and kind of lame. I'm glad he didn't last

Cara Dune  is show regular so we are going to see more of her, hopefully they team up I enjoyed her character a lot.

Overall it's a 8/10 for me so far with the promise of getting better, and it's IMO a lot better than the rehashed ideas with misused ( or plain boring ) characters we got to see from Disney until they aquired the license. 

@BrickG To your comment about The Child’s power boost....how much do we actually know about that species’ Force sensitivity? Maybe at that age they are very attuned to it. 

There’s likely a reason he’s the “stoic boring guy” that we’re unaware of at the moment(like the flashbacks of his childhood, he could be closed off because of it) & could be the driving force of the story. He’s already changed a lot because of the kid. It seems he never once saved a bounty before. And we know he has issues & troubles thanks to his interactions with the farmer woman. He has plenty of character, 

The latest episode just had bad dialogue. Filled to the brim with cliches. The dialogue between the dude and the gal, it was pretty cringe-worthy. It's not bad still just... kind of average. The other bounty hunter dude just made me cringe the entire time. And his acting wasn't very good.

Also he keeps getting SHOT! How many times can this Mando guy get shot?  I know he's got expensive crazy armour but if it's THAT good why doesn't ever rich person/admiral/etc wear it? That freakin' stuff is ridiculous. Ever episode he seems to get shot twice, always in the armour, what a lucky guy. It's got hero syndrome HARD. That first scene with the other ship shooting Mando's ship lots of times only to get 1-hit...

Idunno man. Too many cliches. Too average in storytelling, acting, character, music, etc. Though still the production values are of course high and the art is great.

And stoic boring guy continues to be stoic and boring. I don't buy that he's changed. He's been the same. He was presented as a bounty hunter and the only thing we've seen about his character is he has a sense of honour (apparently with all the Mandalorians who backed him). Every episode so far is the same. Bounty Hunter gets shot a few times and saves a baby. Look, he's honourable because he saves a baby. Look at the baby! LOOK AT THE BABY IT IS SO CUTE! Bounty Hunter protects baby so bounty hunter must be GOOD GUY with HONOUR! BABY CUTE! BOUNTY HUNTER GOOD! LOOK AT THE BABY!!! OH GOD LOOK AT THE BABY!!! JUST LOOK AT THE @#%ING BABY!  SO MUCH CUTE! SO MUCH HONOUR!!!

I really hope that Bossk makes an appearance. I don't know how long Trandoshan's live but he didn't die in Empire/Jedi so it's possible.

He just has a unique look that makes me want to find out more about him.

For one thing, at least Episodes 4 and 5 haven't felt like video game levels the way 1-3 did to me. The plot feels a little bit more spontaneous and natural somehow.

That said, I did have plot/story issues with 5 that detracted from my being able to enjoy it. A couple of things have already been clearly established: Baby Yoda doesn't like to stay put in the ship, and bounty hunters have tracking fobs that can track Baby Yoda literally anywhere. Mando tried a "backwater" planet - a bounty hunter found them in about a week. Episode 5 presumably picks up not too long after 4, and another bounty hunter is on their tail. So, clearly, the tracking fobs are an issue, and Mando knows it.

Yet, he still sets down in a random spaceport, just closes the dang door on Baby Yoda as if that would do anything, and leaves him in the care of someone he doesn't know who has about zero levels of protection. WHY!?!? Mando doesn't seem to be an idiot, so why have him do something so idiotic?

If they'd just had him, say, go to a friend/acquaintance on Tatooine who lives in a bunker or remote location, and put a couple of lines of dialogue acknowledging that leaving Baby Yoda there would be dangerous, I would've bought the rest of the episode as it was with him needing a job to make a bit of money for fuel etc. Also, throw in just one line of him telling his acquantance "I've really got to work out how to stop them tracking his location", because right now that's a big question on a lot of viewers' minds.

As it is, the plotting is just poorly done, but I do hope it gets better in the last few episodes of the season.

I agree with you about the plot holes Clone Opatra.  Hopefully the story evolves better in the coming episodes.  I'm really hoping to see more about the Mandolorian way.  

On 12/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, Clone OPatra said:

For one thing, at least Episodes 4 and 5 haven't felt like video game levels the way 1-3 did to me. The plot feels a little bit more spontaneous and natural somehow.

That said, I did have plot/story issues with 5 that detracted from my being able to enjoy it. A couple of things have already been clearly established: Baby Yoda doesn't like to stay put in the ship, and bounty hunters have tracking fobs that can track Baby Yoda literally anywhere. Mando tried a "backwater" planet - a bounty hunter found them in about a week. Episode 5 presumably picks up not too long after 4, and another bounty hunter is on their tail. So, clearly, the tracking fobs are an issue, and Mando knows it.

Yet, he still sets down in a random spaceport, just closes the dang door on Baby Yoda as if that would do anything, and leaves him in the care of someone he doesn't know who has about zero levels of protection. WHY!?!? Mando doesn't seem to be an idiot, so why have him do something so idiotic?

If they'd just had him, say, go to a friend/acquaintance on Tatooine who lives in a bunker or remote location, and put a couple of lines of dialogue acknowledging that leaving Baby Yoda there would be dangerous, I would've bought the rest of the episode as it was with him needing a job to make a bit of money for fuel etc. Also, throw in just one line of him telling his acquantance "I've really got to work out how to stop them tracking his location", because right now that's a big question on a lot of viewers' minds.

As it is, the plotting is just poorly done, but I do hope it gets better in the last few episodes of the season.

Sadly a lot of shows suffer from that. They make stupid decisions in order to set up for the next action sequence. I enjoy cop shows, but it’s annoying to see them always shout from far away, “hey you! Stop!” like the criminal is just going to listen. Then the chase ensues. 

Yay, another great episode!

I loved the unexpected little plot twists, regarding what the group really planned with him and how he got his payback. Especially the last one, at the space station :devil: 
The new droids (the walking kind) were a cool little addition, they kinda reminded me of the Old Republic's HK droids.

The OT-reference was also a really nice surprise! :purrr:

Regards,
Mitch

I'll keep watching. It's alright but I'm not blown away. Some bits I like better than others, think they go a bit too far with the Mandalorian being slapped around like some hapless dummy at times. 

After bingeing the latest season of The Expanse over the last few days I can certainly recommend that to anyone who want their sci-fi fix with better storytelling, characters you actually care about and some classic cliffhangers.

Last episode was probably the best episode so far but that doesn't mean it was really good. Cliche and trite but it was a bit of fun for an average TV show. Once again absolutely no development for the Mandalorian who still doesn't have character and things just kind of happen around him. He gets shot a LOT. He's got severe Superman syndrome. He should be dead 20x over. That armour is ridiculous and I don't see why they don't make more stuff out of that armour's metal. I know it's supposed to be valuable and rare but you'd think you'd have seen it before (outside of I guess Phasma).

I think a comparison you can make where fights are good and the hero is struggling but NOT being shot a lot is Daredevil on Netflix. Some good fightscenes where Daredevil is just struggling to even catch his breath but it's believable that he still came out on the top (but just barely). This guy man... this Mando guy... the way he gets shot ALL the time... it takes away and sense of actual tenseness in the struggles because no matter what, he can always be shot 1000x and it doesn't matter. While everyone else dies in one shot. Even the ships (like in the previous episode).

Tons of shows the heroes have this ridiculous invulnerability but it's rarely as ridiculous as in this show.

Also I both enjoy and dislike the puppets. CGI wouldn't be the way to go for Baby Yoda but his puppet is so stiff. I swear it's got like as many points of articulation as a Lego Minifigure, probably less (but the Lego Movies animate the limited Minifigures beautifully while Baby Yoda moves like a lifeless doll). I wish they'd mix the puppet with selective CGI a bit more. Some movies and shows mix the practical effects with occasional CGI blended in when it's called for so that they can have the puppets do something they usually can't do. I mean, very selectively. They're doing it alraedy sometimes like when Baby Yoda falls or walks he's occassionally a bit of CGI. They just need to do it a bit more. Especially with the arms and hands which just look bad and like an action figure. Sometimes you can go full puppet (like with the Banthas in the original still look AMAZING). I don't think I like HOW puppet this stupid little baby is though. It's 2019 and I feel like I'm watching a show with a lot of really cool effects but then I get someone using a pretty unconvincing puppet.

14 hours ago, BrickG said:

That armour is ridiculous and I don't see why they don't make more stuff out of that armour's metal. I know it's supposed to be valuable and rare but you'd think you'd have seen it before 

Beskar originated in the EU, wherein it was also portrayed as virtually-indestructible (as well as unique to Mandalorians/Mandalorian culture). While its first Canon reference is in Rebels, the Mando (Death Watch) armour in TCW is also made of Beskar. 

14 hours ago, BrickG said:

(outside of I guess Phasma)

Phasma's armour was made from Chromium (salvaged from a Naboo yacht), not Beskar. 

So, anyone here have any thoughts to share about the second season's premier? While I may have liked the first season enough, I wasn't exactly crazy about it like everyone else. However, I have found the second season's first episode to be quite a promising ride... :thumbup: :oh: 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, anyone here have any thoughts to share about the second season's premier? While I may have liked the first season enough, I wasn't exactly crazy about it like everyone else. However, I have found the second season's first episode to be quite a promising ride... :thumbup: :oh: 

Spoiler

I liked the nods to both the OT & PT in this one, with Anakin’s Podracer engine turned speeder....and of course Fett’s armor! Then seeing him at the end...what?! Living life with the Tuskens...interesting. I’m definitely intrigued to see how that plays out. The episode was pretty good. I loved the visit back to Tatooine & seeing more of the Tuskens. 

On 10/31/2020 at 4:21 PM, Vindicare said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I liked the nods to both the OT & PT in this one, with Anakin’s Podracer engine turned speeder....and of course Fett’s armor! Then seeing him at the end...what?! Living life with the Tuskens...interesting. I’m definitely intrigued to see how that plays out. The episode was pretty good. I loved the visit back to Tatooine & seeing more of the Tuskens. 

Spoiler

Agreed, seeing Fett like that was very interesting. Can't wait to find out what he's been up to since escaping from the Sarlacc. Is it confirmed he's been hanging around with Tuskens, though? Seems to me like he could also have been wandering on his own all this time.
Cobb Vanth was a nice addition and his speeder a cool reference. 

By the way, there were news/rumors going around regarding the possible appearance of two characters, and I was wondering whether anyone can confirm or deny them (or state whether it's still unsure):
Ahsoka Tano
Bo-Katan Kryze
I really only want a 'yes', 'no', or 'maybe' on this, as otherwise I want to go in fully blank. Thanks! :sweet: 

In any case, very excited for the next episode! :wub: 

Regards,
Mitch

Spoiler

New episode was pretty epic! Appearance of Bo Katan got me pretty excited, and also hinting Ahsoka coming in the future! Also that Gozanti cruiser look great.

Spoiler

Agreed! It was very cool seeing them, and I hope to see them again and find out more about Mandalorian history (before the Clone Wars). Maybe not this season, but at some point :sweet: 

Another terrific episode!

Spoiler

Loved the Imperial presence and the return of Greef Karga & Cara Dune.
Also really like that The Child starts to do a bit more, in this one even actively helping out in the ship, which was a hilarious scene too.
The return of Moff Gideon was very nice as well!
Speaking of which: OhmyGod, an actual live-action Arquitens Class cruiser! :excited:
That is a premier, yes? :sweet: 

Regards,
Mitch