Mitch Henry

[MOC] Kongu, Toa Typhoon

Kongu, Toa Typhoon

Two Hands...

More Photos

Built for BignicleCup2019 on twitter, this is a remake of Kongu Mahri stylized after Monev the Gale from the manga and anime Trigun. This MOC took a lot of time, money, and input from friends. While I feel like I could've done better, it feels nice to get it finished. It also felt nice to make a Toa again.

And yes, the Cordak Blaster gauntlets do actually fire.

WOah, that looks ripped as heck. The Cordak Blaster magazines are a real highlight! Nice use of color and color separation too. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I love kongu mahri the fact that he gets two cordak revolving blasters is so cool, so the way you have beefed him up into looking like a beast with those cordak blasters. Great job.

That Kongu is JACKED. Very well done, especially on those cordak magazines and blasters.

Awesome work! He's beefy, and those dual cordak blasters look awesome. I do think his feet look a bit small for how massive his body is though.

13 hours ago, KotZ said:

Awesome work! He's beefy, and those dual cordak blasters look awesome. I do think his feet look a bit small for how massive his body is though.

I think that was the point

On 11/20/2019 at 3:13 AM, ExeSandbox said:

WOah, that looks ripped as heck. The Cordak Blaster magazines are a real highlight! Nice use of color and color separation too. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks! I feel like I could've done a bit better with the color but I'm glad that you like it.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:19 AM, Toa_of_Shadow said:

I love kongu mahri the fact that he gets two cordak revolving blasters is so cool, so the way you have beefed him up into looking like a beast with those cordak blasters. Great job.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:54 AM, arc said:

That Kongu is JACKED. Very well done, especially on those cordak magazines and blasters.

Thanks, guys! The blasters are a big part of Kongu's silhouette so I tried to keep that in the remake.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:21 PM, KotZ said:

On 11/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, Toa_of_Shadow said:

I think that was the point

Indeed.

Thanks guys!

Tasty rework of a totally lackluster set! The cluster of gears in his chest is such a nice throwback to the golden age of bionicle, really makes the whole build come together.

9 hours ago, EVE said:

Tasty rework of a totally lackluster set! The cluster of gears in his chest is such a nice throwback to the golden age of bionicle, really makes the whole build come together.

I never noticed that it is totally reminiscent of the metru toa with the three gears within their chest.

First saw this guy on... BrickVault's Youtube channel? I think that's who it was. They feature MoCs each week. And good lord, the beef on this guy. The shaping and the textures look so cohesive and work really well. Also dig the gears in the chest. Always loved the look of mechanical details underneath armor.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, EVE said:

Thank you! I wouldn't call the original set lackluster per se. It has a bit more going on than the traditional Inika-build sets of the time and has a distinct look to it. Though all of the Toa Mahri pale in comparison to Hahli's massive wings and wicked claws imo

On 12/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, Toa_of_Shadow said:

I never noticed that it is totally reminiscent of the metru toa with the three gears within their chest.

12 minutes ago, Kalhiki said:

First saw this guy on... BrickVault's Youtube channel? I think that's who it was. They feature MoCs each week. And good lord, the beef on this guy. The shaping and the textures look so cohesive and work really well. Also dig the gears in the chest. Always loved the look of mechanical details underneath armor.

Thanks! I didn't know it had been featured anywhere so I'll definitely have to check it out. Glad you like it!

I'm really happy that you all mentioned the gears. I struggled to fill in that big gap for a while. When I realized that gears are a staple part of the early sets designs I immediately tried them. They're probably my favorite part of the whole MOC tbh 

Edited by Mitch Henry

Found the video for convenience's sake. I was right, it was BrickVault. The MoC's shown around the 2 minute mark.