Digger of Bricks

LEGO Sci-Fi 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

An image of the mining mech just leaked. It looks like a mech-sized spacesuit, so unfortunately no classic theme or new transparent canopy. That said, I like the design from what I can see, it appears to have an interestingly-designed circular saw build (not a single-mould), and I think that it would work well repurposed as an underwater mech with a few modifications (given the deep-sea pressure-suit design). No Minifigs are visible in the image. ?

As a side note, the largest City fire set appears to contain a new helmet mould that can accommodate a standard visor, so that may be useful for space MOCs (depending upon what the finished product looks like). 

Some quick thoughts on 31107 - Space Rover Explorer

Nice build of moderate complexity. 

There's a wide array of component types and colors in this set, making it a boon for children and adult MOC builders alike.  When opening the bags, the varied and interesting color palette was the first thing I noticed. 

I really like the detailed printing on the astronaut minifgure's torso.  The other 2 characters included in the set: a green alien and a rover droid, are clever builds.  

This is not a "Classic Space" set, as it is closer to hard SciFi rather than fantasy SciFi (Think James SA Corey's The Expanse rather than something like The 5th Element), but the vehicle would not look totally out of place in a Classic Space scene.  The walkie-talkie, wrench, and printed computer panels are clear homages to Classic Space.

Overall, a nice buy.  I highly recommend for Lego Space enthusiasts.  

Another observation on 31107 - Space Rover Explorer

It somewhat resembles artwork from the Simon Stalenhag book Things From The Flood, specifically this photo of exploration vehicles: https://simonstalenhag.se/tftfbig/34.jpg

Specifically: the pilot's area with windows that provide a view to the ground, the door on the side, floodlights, and big wheels mounted on pivoting sections.  The proportions are somewhat different and the Stalenhag vehicle lacks windows, a crane, and visible coms antennas, but the shape and general functionality appears similar. 

Edited by hagridshut

Nice eye @hagridshut! I have not heard of Simon Stalenhag, but this book has some absolutely fantastic art! I would love to see three of these Rover sets together to recreate this scene. And personally, this set is one I want to build. The whole build looks quite unique for a rover and uses window and windscreen elements to good effect. I also love the color scheme, with that earth blue striping. And certainly, this is a set that would look great for a Hibernia display (Hibernia is a fan-created LEGO arctic space theme on Flickr).

The Orange Spaceman is now out. Got mine yesterday and it looks really great.

I noticed that there is a softcover variant of the book that has no minifigure. So be sure to order that hardcover edition for the orange spaceman.

51 minutes ago, bondp99 said:

The Orange Spaceman is now out. Got mine yesterday and it looks really great.

I noticed that there is a softcover variant of the book that has no minifigure. So be sure to order that hardcover edition for the orange spaceman.

Got mine too!

Yeah, avoid the "Library Edition". Strangely on Amazon it's the soft cover that has the minifig.

Just make sure it says "With exclusive LEGO spaceman minifigure" in the title!

Lets' see here...

Benny

Denny

Fenny

Genny

Henny (Hemmy?)

Jenny 

Kenny 

Lenny

Menny (Minnie? Manny?)

Nenny

Penny

Qenny???

Renny (Oh hi there!)

Senny

Tenny

Venny (Vinny!)

Qenny (Q and X, Put an Alien Invaders'/ Space Police Alien Head on a Classic Space body)

Wenny

Xenny (See "Quenny)

Yenny

Zenny.

Those are all the variants I could come up with off the top of my head. You're more than welcome to add any of yours to the list-o!

6 minutes ago, icm said:

I vote Denny.

I second that vote.

Oh, and while I'm here: awesome orange mech body build there @JeffBuilds!

Edited by Murdoch17

8 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Likes pancakes.

Somebody outta make a MOC of a space-bound Denny's, complete with Denny the orange spaceman running the place. Just make it at a space-truck stop with diner, like a (much better) Squidman's Pitstop on steroids!

Just don't order the special! ;-)

Edited by Murdoch17

While this isn't related to any actual products, I was quite charmed to see a rainbow-colored lineup of Classic Space astronauts in the front row of the astronaut wedding in LEGO's new holiday ad:

I suspect it might still be some time before purple and/or brown Classic Space minifigures exist in real life, but I'm sure they'd be quite popular choices for both Classic Space MOCs and Pride vignettes! In any case, LEGO's continued use of the redesigned helmet mold definitely seems to bode well for the likelihood of more recolors like this going forward… :classic:

Surely he'd be Kenny... wearing all orange... just like Kenny from South Park..... and he could be the token guy that always gets killed in a moc :laugh: