Digger of Bricks

LEGO Sci-Fi 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Seems LEGO is really keen on listing the past again in recent years.

• 2018: 
  • 40th/60th anniversary sets
  • Series 18 Classic Policeman
  • 2019:
  • Ninjago Legacy sets+magazine
  • Benny's Space Squad
  • 2020:
  • LEGO Legacy Heroes Unboxed mobile game should officially launch in 2020
  • This book
  • ?? LEAF Theme ??

I did get some Nexo Knights books in the past, some with figures, but this looks great as well.

I know this is a new color so likely exclusive , but I do hope they make more Classic Space sets/figures as well for existing colors, like Red, Blue, Black at least, maybe re-issue of Green/Grey with new helmets.

2012 had some (Red/Blue/Black) spaceman re-issues in exclusive Toys R Us packs but not exactly worldwide, and no new 2019 helmets, yellow and white also but those were in Benny's Squad in 2019.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I know this is a new color so likely exclusive , but I do hope they make more Classic Space sets/figures as well for existing colors, like Red, Blue, Black at least, maybe re-issue of Green/Grey with new helmets.

As a side note, we did sorta already see an Orange Classic Spaceman as a LEGO Games microfigure in 3842 Lunar Command... :shrug_oh_well:

85863pb013.png

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

2012 had some (Red/Blue/Black) spaceman re-issues in exclusive Toys R Us packs but not exactly worldwide, and no new 2019 helmets, yellow and white also but those were in Benny's Squad in 2019.

That's not likely to happen. I think the best we can hope for is the new old helmet in more sets like the NinjaGo People Pack having it in blue for the first time. This way we can just replace the helmets out.

Also what is 'LEAF theme'?

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As a side note, we did sorta already see an Orange Classic Spaceman as a LEGO Games microfigure in 3842 Lunar Command... :shrug_oh_well:

So you're saying lime green is next?

-Tohst

3 hours ago, Maple said:

Also what is 'LEAF theme'?

It's a so far speculated summer theme (with set numbers but no names/parts count/pricing) with possibly Pirates and/or Castle elements in it.

Likely know more in a few months.

Hidden Side was codename Banana before it was revealed.

Edited by TeriXeri

YES!!!!!!!! 

More Space guys to add to the ranks!

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I certainly didn't see that coming... :oh3: ...paging @danth & @Renny The Spaceman... :wink:

Thanks! So glad to see this!

5 hours ago, Maple said:

That's not likely to happen. I think the best we can hope for is the new old helmet in more sets like the NinjaGo People Pack having it in blue for the first time. This way we can just replace the helmets out.

Can we not do the dream crushing thing? Also why would you think this? We got the Exo Suit green guys, Benny, the Gray CMF torso, the white Space man rewards set, Benny's Space Squad, the blue helmet, and now this. Classic Space just keeps on happening. It's going to continue. 

5 hours ago, Maple said:

That's not gonna help a lot but just annoy many people who don't live in US and got those now rare 2012 bricktober packs.

I must not be the only one here to think that there are people new to classic space with 2014 Lego Movie 1, or 2019 Movie 2, or returned to LEGO due to that.

I came back to LEGO in 2016 myself after 15 yrs, and at the very least, getting a new complete Red Spaceman would be nice again. 

Getting just helmets would only help a few people.

Edited by TeriXeri

33 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

That's not gonna help a lot but just annoy many people who don't live in US and got those now rare 2012 bricktober packs.

I must not be the only one here to think that there are people new to classic space with 2014 Lego Movie 1, or 2019 Movie 2, or returned to LEGO due to that.

I came back to LEGO in 2016 myself after 15 yrs, and at the very least, getting a new complete Red Spaceman would be nice again. 

Getting just helmets would only help a few people.

I'm a big believer they could just do a running change to Benny's Space squad to include Benny, a red suit, a black suit, and a new color (orange now?) and they would again sell like hotcakes.

But I'm also a big believer that Benny should have had a shiny new insignia on his back so people who wanted to could just pop the arms out and reverse them so take my beliefs as you will.

-Tohst

13 hours ago, bondp99 said:

Orange Classic spaceman is coming

That's great but why does it look so crap?

It's like somebody repainted regular helmet and airtanks.  Badly.  There's a weird hole in the hand and the logo's already flaking off.

1 hour ago, Tohst said:

I'm a big believer they could just do a running change to Benny's Space squad to include Benny, a red suit, a black suit, and a new color (orange now?) and they would again sell like hotcakes.

Gray and an undamaged Benny. Include a very small base and a walker instead of the rover & space ship. 

48 minutes ago, Space Police XVIII said:

It's like somebody repainted regular helmet and airtanks.  Badly.  There's a weird hole in the hand and the logo's already flaking off.

I assume it is a painted prototype. Hopefully the book cover is updated before release.

8 hours ago, Tohst said:

So you're saying lime green is next?

Well, no, I wasn't necessarily suggesting that, but that would be kinda cool. :classic: Come to think of it, we have yet to see a Classic Spaceman in a variant shade of a "Classic" color (i.e. Lime Green rather than "Classic" Green, Dark Red rather than "Classic" Red, and so forth). And you know, I personally think a Dark Azur or Flame Yellowish Orange spaceman might make for some particularly cool-looking variants. :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Space Police XVIII said:

It's like somebody repainted regular helmet and airtanks. Badly. There's a weird hole in the hand and the logo's already flaking off.

Heh, I guess his helmet does look like it was crafted from an orange peel... *huh* :laugh:

On 11/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, danth said:
On 11/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Say, would anyone here find use for these new "living pods" from the upcoming DreamWorks Trolls theme for their "spaceshiping" needs by any chance? 

I was looking at those! I love trans purple, but the shape is a bit curvy. I wonder how weird it would look as a windscreen.

Brickset has a good look at the assembly if you're interested... :shrug_oh_well:

Brickset - Review: 41251 Poppy's Pod

49315728483_9d923ecb96.jpg

Edited by Digger of Bricks

23 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I certainly didn't see that coming... :oh3: ...paging @danth & @Renny The Spaceman... :wink:

To be honest I sorta did, and this may only be the beginning...

Cast your mind back to the far off time of late December 2018, TLM2 sets are released into the wild and what set is on backorder worldwide

Space Squad

TLM2 flops at the box office and it's sets are warming shelves Argos  (a huge UK catalog store chain) is  putting them on clearance desperately trying to get rid of these sets to a ludicrous degree (I.E The Sparkle Spa for £24 and the Introducing Queen Watevra for a fiver) what's the one set they're not reducing or putting on clearance?

Space Squad

What's the one set my local Asda's and Tesco's are restocking

Space. Squad.

Now whilst I know this is extremely anecdotal evidence with this and the Orange Spacepeep AND the blue space helmet in the Ninjago market set it's at least looks like a possibility that the Space Squad sells well enough to, if not get a new Space theme, enough to entice LEGO to let them invade others

Found 15 Space Squad sets on clearance a week ago, €5 per set. :laugh:

Would love a similar set with red, black, non-scratched blue figs... we can only dream.

Orange spaceman looks cool, probably a prototype.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:48 AM, bondp99 said:

2020 is going to be awesome > Orange Spaceman :wub:

I got Benny's Space Squad (as well as the space orbiter and the Tron set) for Xmas with a little note, sorry there isn't an orange spaceman (as it's my fave color) :roflmao:

Now if only they could also release an orange Futuron Spaceman :angel_sing:

6 hours ago, 1987SpaceGuy said:

Now if only they could also release an orange Futuron Spaceman :angel_sing:

Heh, I've totally forgotten that they did give us a Green Futuron Spaceman, so I guess there's a precedent for such... :shrug_oh_well:

I don't own any previous editions of the minifigure visual histories, so this might be worth picking up, though I personally would have preferred a Vibrant Coral variant - you know, really tie together the history by combining one of the oldest minifigures with the newest color.

21 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

I don't own any previous editions of the minifigure visual histories, so this might be worth picking up, though I personally would have preferred a Vibrant Coral variant - you know, really tie together the history by combining one of the oldest minifigures with the newest color.

Whoa, now that'd be a wild-looking one... :oh: ...but you know, technically we did just get a Pink Classic Spaceman, and Lego will probably want to stick to "base" colors for such before moving on to variant shades (i.e Earth Blue, Dark Red, Dark Bluish Grey, Cool Yellow, etc). If so, then perhaps the next one we'll see will be Purple. :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I feel that would be too close to Lenny's suit, now a Teal Spacepeep however...

The orange Spaceman looks excellent, and I am particularly glad that a new, rather than classic, colour was chosen for the exclusive! 

On 1/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, Tohst said:

A variation of this - I could see a line of “Benny and Friends” collectible sets, similar to Mixels, consisting of a vehicle and a Minifig (Benny, a classic colour, or a new colour). 
As much as I like large spaceships, small sets formed the core of Classic Space, and such a theme would probably sell more/better than a regular one, since it would facilitate both impulse-buys and army-building (like the Space Squad). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

5 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I feel that would be too close to Lenny's suit, now a Teal Spacepeep however...

Pffft, of course, how could I not think of that one?! :facepalm: Given TLG's recent penchant for the color after its reintroduction, I guess I would bet on a Dark Turquoise Spaceman being the next in line... :thumbup: :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

As much as I like large spaceships, small sets formed the core of Classic Space, and such a theme would probably sell more/better than a regular one, since it would facilitate both impulse-buys and army-building (like the Space Squad). 

Well, you really couldn't get a lotta larger Trans-Yellow canopy recolors out of that approach though... :sceptic:

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I could see a line of “Benny and Friends” collectible sets, similar to Mixels, consisting of a vehicle and a Minifig (Benny, a classic colour, or a new colour). 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, you really couldn't get a lotta larger Trans-Yellow canopy recolors out of that approach though... :sceptic:

That is true, unfortunately, but I was thinking of a more-or-less direct successor to the Space Squad that would capitalise on the qualities that made it popular, combined with a few other marketable traits. 
Small, brightly-coloured, Minifig-focused sets would both not overlap with either Star Wars or sci-fi action themes, and would fill a specific (and currently unfilled) niche - A collectible, KFOL-oriented, City/Friends hybrid with a space setting. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Sick. Legit orange airtanks & torso! (I always change the helmets to the Space 2.0 version) Too bad it's a minifig you need extra books to get multiples of - or pay the flow-on mark-up from buying through Bricklink.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:51 PM, Tohst said:

But I'm also a big believer that Benny should have had a shiny new insignia on his back so people who wanted to could just pop the arms out and reverse them so take my beliefs as you will.

-Tohst

The running change line-up you suggest would be absolutely brilliant and I also suspect it would sell well, but I doubt LEGO believes that.

As for your suggestion of reversible torsos, LEGO would never sanction that. While it has sold replacement hands separately, it has never to my knowledge provided minifigure arms by themselves. As far as LEGO is concerned, consumers are never supposed to remove minifigure arms.