Not to mention the boom is adapted from the one on 42082, which used L-motor-powered twin actuators. Using a small gear to slew something that heavy is easier said than done.

5 hours ago, agrof said:

@vectormatic We agree on the trend of weaker and weaker B-models... though I don't see as solution, to not to create any B model than at all. B models should show the possibilities, to open the eye of children to use their creativity and inspire them for MOCing. I wouldn't like to push this job on AFOLs and TFOLs. This should be core value of LEGO. Inspire creativity and development? Only the best is good enough? Sounds like empty phrases nowadays. Sounds overstated for sure, I admit there are still good sets in the portfolio, but we definitely see the degradation as we look back. We can indeed note as symptoms the re-releases and some sets You also named. And here we are one step closer to the floor in 2020 H1 with 42108. 

Sorry for the slightly off-topic discussion, I might be depressive as I don't get my cycling portion... apologies. :classic:

Ill agree with you wholeheartedly, that for Technic as a theme and an educational device, B-models are very valuable, i do remember frequently rebuilding models as a kid into B or C models (and back into A etc..) And indeed it is a thing i would look for as a parent when buying sets for my kids (my oldest bought 42084 from her allowance and insistend on building the B-model straight out of the box), so maybe in a more objective vision, 42108 is indeed worse then i personally perceive it to be. I still think both in terms of looks and features, it absolutely trumps a set like 42077, which has a similar parts-count and price.

As for discussing the set itself, i think the manual slew is my biggest gripe, i havent bough any technic crane (ever :O ), but i would be interested in jumping on one if a good one comes along (only narrowly missed out on 42042 due to a lack of determination/funds at the time), but it really seems to me that geared slew should absolutely be on the list of any technic crane ever (exceptions to be made for the $10 sub 200 parts sets perhaps)

Hilarious idea with the change the name of the topic, but you are the author, so it is your right to do this.

P.S it was ironic statement, if somebody didn't catch this.

Edited by keymaker

Lol, this set is really catching a lot of flak.

Personally i dont think it is all entirely deserved though, it does look pretty cool, but yeah, lego missed some tricks here

I actually quite like this set, dispite its 'flaws' (and the lack of a B-model straight from the box), but I can still appreciate the joke with the topic name :laugh:

Just now, Rudivdk said:

the joke with the topic name

That's also how I see the 42097 (pity it doesn't have proper tread sprockets), and personally I don't see anything wrong with that. But I understand that for set builders these two are far less than ideal.

28 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

and personally I don't see anything wrong with that.

Neither do I, in the end every set is a parts pack to me since I never keep them assembled forever. Lately I do notice that I get pickier with sets though, probably because my collection is almost getting out of control (and literally growing out of my room...). So I don't know if I will get me one of these. Depends on the 2H line-up, I decided to only get 1 or two medium/large sets a year from now on and get loose parts through the internet if needed.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Im thinking bout renaming this topic into 42108 Parts Pack in the shape of a Mobile Crane.

:grin:

That's a little bit evilish, but you do as you want.

Is there ANY Technic set where the most, or all of the users on this forum say that the model is very good / perfect?

B model is like pizza. Even when it's bad it's still good.

But no B model?

W3N4DY.gif

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

16 hours ago, Shiva said:

Is there ANY Technic set where the most, or all of the users on this forum say that the model is very good / perfect?

Having built a number of Technic sets in the last few years, I would have to cast my vote for most enjoyable set as the Mercedes Arocs, the set is solid as heck

A number of functions, clever building techniques, asthetically pleasing, large

Overall it is my favorite set to date, and the bar it set in expectations for future sets was high, the Claas is similarly close, though it's obvious some corners were cut in it's attachments, I have yet to buy the Defender or Bugatti, but appreciate the looks of both

But a set with a pneumatic boom claw, engine tied to two live axles, full pendular front, and leaf spring-esque rear suspension, duel front axle steering, powered tipping bed, outriggers, and slewing claw arm is impressive while still looking very good

The only critiques ai have of the set are three, the amount of pneumatic hoses going through the turntable of the claw can be a burden on the motor when slewing the claw, the 2nd - 4th set of wheel arches seem a bit high, and the the lack of powered control in the outriggers is the only flaws, all of which are minor, especially considering at the time of release, it was the largest Technic set released.

I'll post the Stud.io file soon for my 42108 build, note that it is not 100% complete yet, I cannot guarantee that all parts used are accurate, I refered to the pictures for hours, and did my best with what I had, it's at just over 1000 pieces so far

16 hours ago, Shiva said:

Nah. Moaners. Sometimes i wonder if they've got the right hobby.. not everyone by any means, but the minority that bitch about everything make up for it with their volume.

Gents, it is a bit generous to call moaners people, who are not satisfied with a specific set. 42043 hands down the best, but You can take 42048 - which was decent for what it is,  and the list could go on.

To bring the sunlight back to the forum, there is dedicated topic for the best sets, feel free to put the praises over there, maybe it is the time to recall some good memories. :wink:

Edited by agrof

On 12/10/2019 at 10:09 AM, vectormatic said:

Lol, this set is really catching a lot of flak.

Personally i dont think it is all entirely deserved though, it does look pretty cool, but yeah, lego missed some tricks here

Personally, I want to toss it in a fire for the "function" of the front outriggers alone. This to me, is Porsche 42056 levels of bad engineering.

22 hours ago, Shiva said:

There are a few against which I recall little to no criticisms being made. Recently the number has thinned, but 42053, 42054 and 42069 are among the newer examples I can think of. I also think 42004 is pretty critic-proof.

42108, on the other hand, is not. It seems to ignore a lot of design choices seen in previous cranes, and one can only wonder why. Accessibility? TLG misguidedly trying a new approach to design? Who knows? :sceptic:

On 12/10/2019 at 4:11 PM, Shiva said:

That's a little bit evilish, but you do as you want.

No, but in years past, the response to new sets has been far more positive, with a few neutral, and very few negatives. And even then, the negatives are usually something like "I need to mod this", or "This type of set doesn't appeal to me, it's an X and I prefer Y". Now, the response to sets is overall a lot more negative, and I was thinking, is this just my nostalgia, or my standards changing as I mature? But, I look at this forum, and almost everyone is like this. Almost everyone does not like the direction Technic is going. And, the negatives are more due to design than taste. Like, this set we are discussing, there is basically nothing worth modding, because there are so few redeeming features. It's only good as a parts pack.

1 hour ago, coinoperator said:

Not even a decent hook :cry2:

The metallic Technic hook has apparently been discontinued, so nowdays we only have these non-decent contraptions in the place of a proper hooks.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

non-decent contraptions

Good description
And that metal hook (happy to have some) is made of unobtanium in the mean time
reBRICKculous....

Same with the ATC
Such an expensive set and no hook :sick:

Edited by coinoperator

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

The metallic Technic hook has apparently been discontinued, so nowdays we only have these non-decent contraptions in the place of a proper hooks.

8053 had a pretty good hook and that crane was designed to similar specs, so TLG has no excuse here.

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

In years past, the response to new sets has been far more positive, with a few neutral, and very few negatives. And the negatives are usually "I need to mod this", or "This set doesn't appeal to me, it's X and I prefer Y". Now, the response to sets is a lot more negative, and I was thinking, is this just my nostalgia, or my standards changing as I mature? But, I look at this forum, and almost everyone is like this. Most don't like the direction Technic is going. And, the negatives are more due to design than taste. Like, this set we are discussing, there is basically nothing worth modding, because there are so few redeeming features. It's only good as a parts pack.

I can def see what you mean, I'm on board to say I've felt similarly to this before I opened my mind to ideas and creations outside what my tastes normally prefer

I wouldn't say (yet anyway) that Technic is going in a new direction because I've said that to myself for years and it's never been the obvious case

That said, this year disappoints me a little so far, mostly in terms of this set being what I would consider our 20h1 flagship I guess, and it's just not great outside of asthetics (proportions seem fine to me, as I have seen some pretty short mobile cranes)

It's just that our two big sets coming soon are the Top Gear RC car, which is fine I guess, but overpriced, messy, and lacking any function besides being able to drive, and this set, which lacks slewing, synced outriggers, or really anything remotely complex

All I'm saying is we go one or two years then see another mobile crane, and for this to offer nothing new, and no new parts is a real shame

Looking at things like the Defender and Libermann, I def would not say we're going a direction we shouldn't but rather it seems the year H1 is getting less focus as H2 gets more focus on larger sets

And if that is the trend TLG has chosen, I am fine with it, so long as we are made aware and it doesn't completely compromise H1

Anyway, computer troubles last night meant I couldn't upload the 42108 stud.io file, I will try and get to it today, and I can upload the 2020 Buggy and Mini Class as well, as I have Stud.io files for both, where would be a good place to upload them?