27 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Are you sure? I'm sure I saw axles linking the front to the rear outriggers in one of the images.

I have already started making a chassis with diffs on all axles, suspension and steering, one axle is done now and I'll post an image + the ldraw file in the '42108 mods' thread when it exists.

Im not seeing any space for an axle to branch off of the back outriggers, nor an opportunity to drive the front ones in that space. There isnt a whole lot of space in the mid-section to pass axles through either. It might be modable, but stock im not seeing it

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

Are you sure? I'm sure I saw axles linking the front to the rear outriggers in one of the images.

I agree with JonathanM there are no traces of any linkage between the front and rear outriggers:

800x142.jpg

Notice that the rear ones are "powered" using only black 3L axle-pin (2L axle + 1L pin) and nothing goes to the front ones - I added the red line to the place where the longitudinal axle must be placed to connect them but as you can see there no any axles places here. Plus to that, the front outrigger has noting incoming as well. So:

• Rear outriggers are operated with HOGs at the rear
  • Front outriggers are operated with red Ball Joint with pins.

:look:

Plus, there is really not so much space for something else, as the wheels (all the axles steers) need a lot of free space around...

Edited by Void_S

I don't see how some of you see this one as a successor to 8460? It doesn't even reach its knees. Apart being a rather solid yellow panels pack and the new actuator it doesn't speak to me at all.

14 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

I don't see how some of you see this one as a successor to 8460? It doesn't even reach its knees. Apart being a rather solid yellow panels pack and the new actuator it doesn't speak to me at all. 

Looking at 8460 on bricklink

8460 has:

- central outrigger control

-  pneumatic boom rather then LA, which while cool, is worse in terms of usability, as the boom will sag over time when air leaks from the system, it could also lower as load on the boom compresses the system.

- actual (metal?) hook

42108 has:

- higher part count

- LA Boom, which while less sexy, i consider superior.

- 4 axles rather then three, all of which are steered, vs 3 axles, one of which steered

And both sets have a similar enough price, im not sure on the USD price for 42108 yet, but given that 8460 cost $100 back in the day, 24 years of inflation means that 42108 could cost as much as $140-150 (which it doesnt) to have parity.

I totally get the appeal of 8460, it is a sleek looking set, and the pneumatic stuff is cool, but the new crane looks pretty damn cool as well, slightly less compact, but more sleek on the other hand, and without nitpicking the dimensions, i suspect the new crane can reach higher AND further, which is in the end, what cranes do.

Honestly, the only thing i can knock the new crane for is the lack of hook (which lego has done away with ages ago) and the manual outriggers at the front

What's this talk about 8460? This set is clearly an 8053 successor

Edited by Bartybum

2 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Are you people just gonna forget about 8053???

Nope, but for me it's the outriggers and general shape that makes 42108 more a lookalike/succesor to 8460 than 8053.

31 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

- 4 axles rather then three, all of which are steered, vs 3 axles, one of which steered

As a fan of 8460 I need to point out, that Crane from 1995 has 2 (not one!) steered axles.

32 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

What's this talk about 8460? This set is clearly an 8053 successor

Looks like it to me as well. This does look better, mainly due to the tyres which are more suited to road travel.

I think similarity to 8460 is much more evident in terms of aesthetic look.

Yellow rims

Blue seats

Same outriggers

Looks like a cool crane for a 1st half set, but it's no successor to 8460. 8460 had pneumatics, a metal hook, geared mechanism to turn the superstructure, stabilisers had a mechanism to control them and overall it has a beefier/heavier look to it thanks to the studded construction. 42108 has 4 stabilisers and superstructure rotation with no mechanism to drive them and lifting the boom is going to be rather tedious. But 42108 isn't all bad. The wheels look good and there are very few wasted parts so the build likely won't feel boring. It's not bad, for a first half model there isn't much wrong with it, but 8460 feels like you are getting a lot more despite it's slightly smaller size and piece count. 

With all this talk I'm going to have to go home and build 8460!

I'll definitely be getting a couple of these (when on special), one to build the other to pilfer for parts (predominately the expensive 11 x 3 Curved Panel, previously only available on 42009) for my "yellow-ification" of my 42082.

General Leego

Not really that impressed wiyj this one - compared it to the model by M_Longer from the 42043 set (MOC-6060 on Rebrickable) still on y display shelf, or even the lesser one my Dyen97 from the 42078 set (MOC-21418).

@Ric079 Absolutely agree, not to mention this beauty from Erik Leppen:

I can't help, but the proportions of 42108 are just screwed up.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

I can't help, but the proportions of 42108 are just screwed up.

I agree, just compare it with the four axle crane in the image below. It feels too light and unfinished in the chassis and too heavy and cluttered with details in the cab. The rear seems to be completely missing and the fact that the front outriggers are not connected to rear ones is a lackluster. If TLG chooses to focus on display models which are built once (instead of for example offering a B-model and stimulating to build something else) at least these sets should look the part. Your mention of Erik's crane is spot on.

th?id=OIP.0A8DR-pnXsbrnUE84rpoZwHaEB&pid

I feel the same as @allanp: the comparison with the 8460 is not justified. I'm probably biased because that model was one of my most favorite sets I had a s a kid. But the fact it could lift itself on its outriggers, each function was geared, it fitted Technic figures, had pneumatics and a metal hook made it utterly fascinating to play with. Additionally, it had a modern and finished look and feel with the angled surfaces and fenders that really had an fascinating presence. Crane-wise, only the 42009 came close to the 8460 in my opinion.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

On 11/18/2019 at 11:11 PM, Gray Gear said:

*Insert video of huge LEGO crawler crane lifting a chair here*

Yeah, it seems like a fairly good model, if you are into construction vehicles :thumbup:

Oh, you mean this little fella?  Sorry, couldn't find the eurobricks thread in a fast search.

Dawid Szmandra did a wonderful LEGO Liebherr LR 11000.

42108, is on my wishlist.

Sorry if the question was already mentiod, but is this the new XL LA??
Do any new parts are mentioned on the photos?

2 hours ago, Aleh said:

is this the new XL LA??

Nope. 42100.

All in all I like this set from what we know so far, it seems to pack nice functions and is not uselessly large. Might look nice with 42082 in the shelf too, considering the similar stickers if you're into that.

It's not without flaws though, the original metal hook would have been so much better and those outriggers seem pretty cheap. Something that also bothers me is that there seems to be no cranks nowdays but only knobs, I wonder why is that? Cranks would be so much faster and more comfortable to operate especially for functions like operating LA's and winches. That bothered me a lot with the spider crane too, considering the enormous amount of knob-turning in it's setup.

Ok, LA is XL? thanks. Now it seems we can build this set without buying, Am I wrong?

8 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Ok, LA is XL? thanks. Now it seems we can build this set without buying, Am I wrong?

Technically yes, but you will need to spend a bunch of dollars on the 3x11 10 holes shell panels and the 3x11 #5 and #6 in yellow.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Technically yes, but you will need to spend a bunch of dollars on the 3x11 10 holes shell panels and the 3x11 #5 and #6 in yellow.

Ah, really. Better to purchase the set.

1 minute ago, Aleh said:

Ah, really. Better to purchase the set.

Or build it in a different colour! Red and black are no-brainers; white and orange should also be feasible since the boom can be redesigned to work with standard 3x11 curved panels. Probably at least one of the ten billion azures out there, too. Not sure about dark blue yet - that'd be my choice, with white accents, crab steering and a three-stage boom.