TLG seems to be dumbing_down its new technic sets - is it to keep the cost down or making the sets simpler for its customers - perhaps both?

Can we not drag this forum down into the gutter please chaps! 

Now, about that boom extension after it's erected, does the string come out the end automatically or do you have to twiddle the knob to get it to do that?

11 hours ago, suffocation said:

Wow dis creighn iz so amayz :drunk:

It's got a brand new technique called "stick your finger in the hole and flick out the outrigger" - doesn't get any better (that's what she said).

Peek of technical development...

10 hours ago, allanp said:

Now, about that boom extension after it's erected, does the string come out the end automatically or do you have to twiddle the knob to get it to do that?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Looking again at 0:25 in the video, you can spot the two tan bevel gears for the steering. The gear for the horizontal axle would interfere with a mechanism for the front outriggers. 

This is unfortunately no excuse. There is ALWAYS a way, here we see the result of rushed, unloved work.

I really wanted this set to be my next order, but this is the worst model in the last decade... ugly, no B-model, not only lazy but annoying operation. "Congratulation" for all the involved members who developed and approved this. It would have been even better to re-release the 8041/42041 again...

I definitely don't like the direction of Technic, my mood and love is being devastated.

Edited by agrof

On the bright side, it should be nice as a parts pack, with the yellow panels, the wheels, and the XL LA. It's the same situation as with the 42097.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

I definitely don't like the direction of Technic, my mood and love is being devastated.

I feel you! 

Oddly enough, TLG got the outrigger deployment of 42097 and 42108 round the wrong way. Spider crane outriggers are usually moved into position by hand while, as we know, mobile crane outriggers are lowered remotely.

1 minute ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

But then, if there was a B model, what could it be? Preferably sth that can reuse the XL LA.

Tow truck, maybe. Definitely lifting equipment of some kind. Or a cherry picker, like 8421.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Tow truck, maybe. Definitely lifting equipment of some kind. Or a cherry picker, like 8421.

Oh right, a US-style tow truck like 8285 can work.

Or a semi truck with a dumping trailer (imagine a decent version of the 8052-B). There are definitely enough wheels in the set for that.

Just now, AVCampos said:

Or a semi truck with a dumping trailer (imagine a decent version of the 8052-B). There are definitely enough wheels in the set for that.

That'd be cool.

after seeing the promo-vid, im kinda underwhelmed about the crane-cab being freely rotating, it should have been operated with some gears or something.

Just now, Shiva said:

It is LEGO, you can mod it.

You shouldn't have to mod a set to make it functional. Yes, 42009 has a manual slew, but TLG should improve on each set. If 42097 can have a geared slew and outriggers, then 42108 should have been a no-brainer.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

You shouldn't have to mod a set to make it functional. Yes, 42009 has a manual slew, but TLG should improve on each set. If 42097 can have a geared slew and outriggers, then 42108 should have been a no-brainer.

Well, ain't sort of almost every technic model being modded in a way or even more, by users?

1 minute ago, Shiva said:

Well, ain't sort of almost every technic model being modded in a way or even more, by users?

Not by me. I'm not really a modder, so I expect decent sets.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Not by me. I'm not really a modder, so I expect decent sets.

Always a first time to mod a set :)

Only technics I have modded so far is 8258 and 9397 to twinwheel. http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/index.htm

This set? I plan to buy it. If modding it? Have to see. But still looks interesting, even when some functions are direct hand turning :)

I really like this set and also I plan to buy it. Then most propably I will try to improve it by myself and also using ideas which I find in topic related to modding 42108, because I am pretty sure such one will be here :)

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Yes, but that doesnt excuse lego from providing a set with all the base features somewhat complete.

Every technic set i buy ends up either used for parts or modded in some way, but i still expect sets to be worthy of the technic brand.