I've bought this set and 42009 lately. This set brings a better play experience than 42009 does, as I like the feeling of turning the knobs. And all the functions work more smoothly. I have a slight dislike with the winch. It rotates counter to the winch drum, so if I want to lower the winch I will have to rotate it upward. 

54 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

There is no quick and easy way to mount the bar in another way without significantly modifying the construction of the cabine

You could try the 3x7 curved panel at the bottom and put some connectors to the side to mount the lightbar/bumper and 'fill it up' to 11-wide. Dunno if it would fit with the underside of the model though.

BTW, good to see you back, hope you're doing well :thumbup:.

Edited by Rudivdk
typo

But yeah if anyone finds/has instructions to that white bootlego crane then please do link them here, I'm dying to build that crane

39 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Why did we change the title of the post, yet again?

Cuz I realized this thing is better than a mere part pack :laugh:

26 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Cuz I realized this thing is better than a mere part pack :laugh:

:sweet:. Gotcha.  Its funny how we do that as a community (myself included). We will post literally dozens (sometimes hundreds) of comments about a set before it is even released. We (I'm talking about all of us)  really should be better about waiting for set releases, or at least official reviews, before we judge a sets value, quality, etc....

4 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Surprisingly, this assumption appears to be incorrect, because the set relies on at least two parts which do not have an official Lego counterparts. For example: the light bar/bumper on the front is mounted directly to the curved panel on the underside of the cabin. Neither version of the Lego curved panels have holes in this orientation. There is no quick and easy way to mount the bar in another way without significantly modifying the construction of the cabine, so this set must have been designed based on these new parts

Apart from these pieces which don't exist Lego: Wouldn't it be hilarious this thing would actually copied by TLG and brought in as a new set? :D 

I have been tinkering around, looks familiar?

800x541.jpg

And this is the one I wished was an official set:

Crane_MOD.JPG

6 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

BTW, good to see you back, hope you're doing well :thumbup:.

Thank you for your kind words. Every day has been a bit better than the previous one, so we're good.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

13 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I was intrigued by this little crane as well and I have also searched for instructions but I couldn't find them either. However, I have rebuild this crane in LDD based on the available pictures and youtube movies. It's quite a surprising set for a number of reasons: It is a well thought through set with rugged functions and efficient part use, seemingly designed by an experienced builder. So I admit that at first I thought is must be a Chinese copy of a MOC.

Surprisingly, this assumption appears to be incorrect, because the set relies on at least two parts which do not have an official Lego counterparts. For example: the light bar/bumper on the front is mounted directly to the curved panel on the underside of the cabin. Neither version of the Lego curved panels have holes in this orientation. There is no quick and easy way to mount the bar in another way without significantly modifying the construction of the cabine, so this set must have been designed based on these new parts. Even more surprising is that this brand doesn't have a big portfolio of other sets so I wonder where the building experience comes from.

Long story short: I find this set a much better designed small crane set than the 42108, but you will not be able to simply build it with official Lego parts.

Would you mind share that digital model?

I think, it would go well to my sons collection of older construction models 8419 excavator and 8271 wheel loader

thanks in advance

@Cumulonimbus this is nice idea but only with new 68.7x27 tires (6 wheels version) would be great parts pack (of course not to be to expensive; 42108 is 110€ where I live :wacko:)

On 2/14/2020 at 5:51 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

I have been tinkering around, looks familiar?

Just amazing!

I really would love to have this thing as an official build. The looks and the efficient built is just what lacks the 42108.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, ace_klimax said:

Hello all,

not part of this discussion, but can anyone find on internet instructions for that Xioami Mitu Mobile Crane?

I'm more interested in building this, but from real lego parts in yellow color

Please don't derail the topic with off-topic (clone brand) comments.

So decided to get this set as it will provide a good parts pack for the upgrades I eventually want to do to my Liebherr 1500 8.1 (below in signature block). 

One thing I noticed that this model actually got right that I don't think has been commented on (forgive me if it has, don't have the energy to read all 12 pages of thread) is where the actuator is mounted.

Starting with the esteemed 42009 (I did not go back further) Lego has gotten this wrong, big time. 

With 42009 the actuator is literally mounted so the metal shaft is parallel to the boom! This results in horrible physics, and with the push from the actuator being directed horizontal as much as it is vertical to lift the boom.  In a real crane, the lifting cylinder is mounted several units away from the base of the boom mount, almost (not quite) forming and "A" shape.  This lifts the boom much more than just pushes it.  Physics are much better.  (Grove 6400 below)

GMK6400-outriggers

For my crane, this difference is not as extreme, but still is there (Liebherr 1500 8.1 below)

liebherr-liebherr-ltm-1500-8-1

42083 did better than 42009, but still a "fail" in my book.  The offset appears to be only about one stud, so again the actuators nearly run parallel to the boom. 

42108 actually gets it right.  The offset is several studs, and mimics the offset of a real crane.  Much improved physics.  In fact, if the boom vs. actuator mount location was similar in 42108 to 42009, because 42108 is not motorized, I am not sure no one would be able to lift it!

lego-technic-42108-grue-mobile-2

Edit: not gonna post more pics, but it appears as though 8053 and the esteemed 8421 got it right.  Not sure what happened to 42009 or 42082. 

Edited by nerdsforprez

The actuator location is a tradeoff. Putting the base of the actuator further forward limits the maximum boom elevation the actuator can reach. Using the new XL LA allows the base of the actuator to be further forward and still reach the same boom elevation.

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

42108 actually gets it right.  The offset is several studs, and mimics the offset of a real crane. 

I think the images you chose are a bit unfair. The 42108 image has the boom much more elevated than the others. When the boom is down on the 42108 the actuator sits exactly parallel. The A shape increases on the other models when the boom gets elevated too.

7 hours ago, pleegwat said:

The actuator location is a tradeoff. Putting the base of the actuator further forward limits the maximum boom elevation the actuator can reach. Using the new XL LA allows the base of the actuator to be further forward and still reach the same boom elevation.

Yes, but something that with better planning is certainly possible.  See exhibit A, B and C (and others I referenced)

Also, 42009 had horrible boom elevation.  Not even close to that of a real crane... so although what you share is true I don't think it applies much to 42009

6 hours ago, Gumalca said:

I think the images you chose are a bit unfair. The 42108 image has the boom much more elevated than the others. When the boom is down on the 42108 the actuator sits exactly parallel. The A shape increases on the other models when the boom gets elevated too.

Sadly, can't say I see it that way.  Higher elevation - no "A" here.  In fact, parallel comes to mind.  Still a huge difference from the other cranes I cited. 

lego-42009-7

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Sadly, can't say I see it that way.  Higher elevation - no "A" here.  In fact, parallel comes to mind.  Still a huge difference from the other cranes I cited.

Yes but @Gumalca is right when the says that when the boom in 42108 is horizontal, the actuator is horizontal too. So your first statement (push from the actuator is horizontal) is an issue in 42108 too. Not only the actuator should be placed a little more forward than the boom pivot, but also at a lower point, so it stays at an angle when the boom completely horizontal.

I am not sure I understand your point.  Although true, this issue presents itself in REAL life and therefore I am sure the physics have been figured out by folks much brighter than me.  But, as the boom raises, the planes cross ("A" shape).  All I am arguing for is fidelity with actual cranes. Which when booms are lowered, are parallel to lifting mechanism in REAL crane as well.  Here are some pics from Grove 6400. 

GROVE-Grove-GMK6400-Mobicrane.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Not claiming 42108 is perfect, but I do think it does a better job resembling real cranes in this aspect. 

23 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Feel free to check my 42108 alternate build at https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-43434/timtimgo/american-tow-truck-42108-alternate-build/#comments

I've not created a dedicated topic yet 'cause all information is on rebrickable for now.

Very nice!!! I've always wanted to see a US Tow Truck B model. Can you share some photos of the real vehicles that you used as reference?

4 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Very nice!!! I've always wanted to see a US Tow Truck B model. Can you share some photos of the real vehicles that you used as reference?

Iam not allowed to post pictures here. I will update my webpage with information and pictures soon. Here is a link to picture that inspired me.

http://klekamp-us-truck.com/klekamp-gallery/albums/kenworth-w900l-abschleppwagen-bj-1998/content/001-11/

7 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Iam not allowed to post pictures here.

?

Just insert the picture link here in the text field, and it will automatically appear. Nice C.... B-model btw!

img0.jpg

Edited by agrof