Sign in to follow this  
lifeinplastic

Photoshopping Pics

Hi All,

Do any of you technical people have any suggestions to help. I am trying to take some photos of minifigures and superimpose them against a picture showing the backdrop of a TV show for a game with some friends.

How can you just transfer the outline of the figure without any background showing. The MS Paint way of manually cropping the picture by free-form is untidy and difficult to do accurately?

Any sensible suggestions much appreciated!

Edited by lifeinplastic

I guess the first question is if you have Photoshop or any similar software, since cropping and masking is a simple feature therein.  If all yo've got is Paint, get something better!  :wink:

I would suggest GIMP as a solid, free alternative: https://www.gimp.org

Once you've got that and if you're still having a challenge, there are tons of tutorials online that should get you where you want to be.

You could take a picture of your minifigs in front of your LCD screen displaying the TV show background if that is feasible.

28 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

You could take a picture of your minifigs in front of your LCD screen displaying the TV show background if that is feasible.

Ques that's a good idea :wink:
Otherwise you could use programs like Photoshop and like wise. I use Photoshop myself a lot. You can do a lot with it.

PowerPoint is surprisingly good at this:

• create a new document;
  • go to the Insert tab, click Pictures and insert the picture from which you want to remove the background;
  • go to the Format tab, there should be a Remove Background button – click it and adjust the result if necessary;
  • right-click the inserted image and choose Save as Picture... to save the results.

Not sure if the feature is available in the older version of PP, though.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:58 PM, deraven said:

I guess the first question is if you have Photoshop or any similar software, since cropping and masking is a simple feature therein.  If all yo've got is Paint, get something better!  :wink:

I would suggest GIMP as a solid, free alternative: https://www.gimp.org

Once you've got that and if you're still having a challenge, there are tons of tutorials online that should get you where you want to be.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:23 AM, dr_spock said:

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:54 AM, neonic said:

Ques that's a good idea :wink:
Otherwise you could use programs like Photoshop and like wise. I use Photoshop myself a lot. You can do a lot with it.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, imvanya said:

PowerPoint is surprisingly good at this:

• create a new document;
  • go to the Insert tab, click Pictures and insert the picture from which you want to remove the background;
  • go to the Format tab, there should be a Remove Background button – click it and adjust the result if necessary;
  • right-click the inserted image and choose Save as Picture... to save the results.

Not sure if the feature is available in the older version of PP, though.

Thanks for your suggestions all - much appreciated!!

If you haven't already done so with one of the great opinions above ....

Back before Photoshop was a mainstream product ... You would take the photo with a colored paper behind your figure the open paint and set that color to transparent (make sure this color is not in you figure anywhere)

Then crop and open another paint window you paste your background image then you copy your transparent background image from the other window and paste it into the background photo.  Don't unselect it until it's scaled and skewed the way you want.

That is the hard way and photo editing has come a long way since the Advent of ms paint lol