Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 42109 - Top Gear Rally Car

Recommended Posts

 

4 minutes ago, allanp said:

This would have been an excellent opportunity to introduce a super fast motor which sadly the PF line never had. It would be the PU FAF (powered up fast as f***) motor! 

Funny enough, I built a same scaled car using for an exhibition last week which used 1 RC motor, directly driving same sized wheels from the faster output. To top things off, I used a BuWizz and a servo for steering, which left me with space for one seat in the interrior. The thing was impossible to control, anything over 30% of power would cause wheelspin and instant spinouts. And of course it crashed A LOT, damaging the front panels.

What I'm saying is while fast, powerfull models are fun and all, the bricks take the toll, either from crashing or due to the increased wear and tear of the drivegear parts. I think every Technic builder is faimilliar with grey dust forming... Well the dust forms faster, the more power you are sending through a drivetrain. There's only so much speed or torque a Lego part can handle before it breaks, or starts melting.

And from this perspective I understand why TLG is keeping the motors as powerful as they are. Anything more powerful can damage bricks, or kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong, is the new differential essentially a 2L connector with axle holes on both sides in which the axle holes can also rotate indepedently of each other? No need for inner thin 12z bevel gears right?

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, is the new differential essentially a 2L connector with axle holes on both sides in which the axle holes can also move indepedently? No need for inner thin 12z bevel gears right?

I think everything will be sealed like 42099's hubs. Basically you stick the red gear on it and insert the axles. That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might make it stronger but also less multi-usage and easy to replace...
I hope it won't be like that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

Considering the start of my digital build, it might contain this :

in light bluish grey :

 

And one also at the front, only turned longitudinal to allow steering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Argentina, Lego is extremely expensive and fantastically rare.  Basically only the very richest kids can afford it.  A large portion of the upper class in Argentina is of British descent or raised in British-inspired schools, so I don't imagine a huge backlash against this set in Argentina despite the incident that got Top Gear kicked out.  The Argentinian Lego market is too small for that.  Source: I did a study abroad, of sorts, in Argentina a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, icm said:

In Argentina, Lego is extremely expensive and fantastically rare.  Basically only the very richest kids can afford it.  A large portion of the upper class in Argentina is of British descent or raised in British-inspired schools, so I don't imagine a huge backlash against this set in Argentina despite the incident that got Top Gear kicked out.  The Argentinian Lego market is too small for that.  Source: I did a study abroad, of sorts, in Argentina a few years ago.

When in doubt, ask the experts. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

This would have been an excellent opportunity to introduce a super fast motor which sadly the PF line never had. It would be the PU FAF (powered up fast as f***) motor! 

I approve of this! The driving in the video felt a little slow. Otherwise, I quite like this set even though it is ugly and will probably pick it up when it releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheesh.  I get the AFOL perspective but, c’mon, your average 9 year old would pick this over that boring fugly grey Liebherr monstrosity digger thing every time. 
I would too 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lancia we deserved this year:laugh:

image.thumb.png.15a36bc9a879837537008661977afa5e.png

 

Serious: new diff, a lot of arches incuding white, app with AT and MT gearbox mode - a lot of fun😴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit that I am a Star Wars builder really, so not in the position to be the best expert regarding technic-sets, but to my mind, they did a lot of things absolutely right with this set. =)

Smarthub with gyro and the possibility to control PF motors with your smart device has been possible with the S-brick for a while, but now that it is possible with official Lego equipment, it opens a whole lot of cool opportunities. In addition to that, I know a looooot of people who will jump out of their chairs when they see it is from Top Gear.


- Samppu

Edited by Samppu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

42109%20diff3.PNG

Preassembled differential body mated to a clutch 28 tooth gear. 

When I heared "mated to a clutch gear"  I expected the diff to be able to be mated eith any clutch gear...but looking at this it seems like the Diff is somehow inside of the gear, which makes using smaller gears impossible :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if that new diff assembly is similar to efferman's 3D printed designs, cause then it would make sense why TLG took down ALL compatible 3D custom parts from thingiverse, shapeways etc this year...so they can make their own parts without people saying it was copied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

When I heared "mated to a clutch gear"  I expected the diff to be able to be mated eith any clutch gear...but looking at this it seems like the Diff is somehow inside of the gear, which makes using smaller gears impossible :(

Indeed, and with a gear at only one side it is not very useful in a gearbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Didumos69 said:

Indeed, and with a gear at only one side it is not very useful in a gearbox.

I want it for center diff in a AWD car, so it would be exactly what I want, but not such a huge gear?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gray Gear said:

I want it for center diff in a AWD car, so it would be exactly what I want, but not such a huge gear?! 

It's not so much bigger than the current gear, 28 vs 24 teeth. And it can be meshed in 2 directions, so it's a universal diff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zerobricks said:

It's not so much bigger than the current gear, 28 vs 24 teeth. And it can be meshed in 2 directions, so it's a universal diff.

Well, I think using the small gear side from the old diff will still be better for my purpose. At least I dont have to bricklink this piece for like 8€ :laugh_hard::ugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

What I'm saying is while fast, powerfull models are fun and all, the bricks take the toll, either from crashing or due to the increased wear and tear of the drivegear parts. I think every Technic builder is faimilliar with grey dust forming... Well the dust forms faster, the more power you are sending through a drivetrain. There's only so much speed or torque a Lego part can handle before it breaks, or starts melting.

And from this perspective I understand why TLG is keeping the motors as powerful as they are. Anything more powerful can damage bricks, or kids.

I also put a lot of thinking in this topic. But I never understood why the motors are so 'bad'. But now you mention this it makes sense. Because Lego can't demand from kids and parents for lubricating the axles of their Technic Sets like I do it with my highspeed Buggy. :D

So TLG have to bring save products (sets but also motors in general) without this modifications necessary we AFOLs do. And this excludes strong and fast motors. As much as it hurts to say this. :cry_sad:

Overall this Rallye Car is fast enough for me for a Lego Set. But it is definitely to much money for what you get (2 DinA4 Sticker sheets :P). This is a very small car. 80€ or even 90-100€ would be OK. But not for this price tag (Yes the price will fall. But if it would be cheaper from start it could be cheaper with sales again...).

Edited by Robin_IV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rm8 said:

Lancia we deserved this year:laugh:

 

 

Serious: new diff, a lot of arches incuding white, app with AT and MT gearbox mode - a lot of fun😴

It is Fiat Multipla...one of ugliest cars ever build IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2004–10 Fiat Multipla facelift, that 1 looks way better than the earlier model.

 

42109 Rally car, nice in a small package. Not cheap tho. And I am not sure if I have a phone that is compatible with the software needed. Android 6.0 and up? Seems answer is a no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to use this time and forum to thank TLG for....saving me money on the 1st half 2020 wave:sick: I’ll patiently wait for the 2nd half release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they include the millions of stickers into the part count when they are calculating PPP to get a price range? Because that is the only logical thing I could think of for a price like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.