Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 42109 - Top Gear Rally Car

1 hour ago, Meatman said:

Yeah, the gear connects to the housing

How exactly does the red gear connect to the housing? Does the housing have pins that snap into pinholes in the gear?

10 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How exactly does the red gear connect to the housing?

I haven't seen it, but I would guess something similar to turntables or wheel hubs... which would mean the red gear is useless for anything else but the diff...

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

I haven't seen it, but I would guess something similar to turntables or wheel hubs... which would mean the red gear is useless for anything else but the diff...

Perhaps it could be used similar as 20 or 16 tooth gear with clutch only without driving ring; just my guess...

7 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps it could be used similar as 20 or 16 tooth gear with clutch only without driving ring; just my guess...

I'm pretty sure that's the case and that it will also be used in the gearbox of the upcoming supercar - probably as a reverse gear or such.

Edited by Zerobricks

19 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How exactly does the red gear connect to the housing? Does the housing have pins that snap into pinholes in the gear?

If I remember correctly, there are 3 clips on the housing that snap into the gear. What I don't know is if the gear can easily be removed or not.

8 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I could be wrong, but from the brief bit that I had seen, it didn't appear that this gear had any clutch capabilities like the 20 and 16 tooth gears have. At least one side of it doesn't.

13 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I could be wrong, but from the brief bit that I had seen, it didn't appear that this gear had any clutch capabilities like the 20 and 16 tooth gears have. At least one side of it doesn't.

I was thinking without clutch capabilities...only to spin on axle but without possibility to be "locked" with driving ring

Regards

Edited by I_Igor

At first sight I was hoping for the clutch gear-style type of connection, but then I realized, that every clutch gear is loose on the driving ring. I do not want backlash on diff, so I hope for better differential-specific solution, however new clutch gear would be also good addition.. 

Impossible - Santa bought all of them to give it on Christmas eve to the Technic Gurus ...

:laugh:

Best
Thorsten

49 minutes ago, Homersapien said:

The top gear car is on the lego online shop for some days now, nobody got it yet?!

It's there since the announcement but the shipping date is still the 26th, when the reviews will go online.

5 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Who would have thought this set contains TWO 7x11 white frames

Not me. 7x11 Frames are very useful, and I need more. Why in white tho? I bet they arn't visible at all, so black would have been better. But eh.

16 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Not me. 7x11 Frames are very useful, and I need more. Why in white tho? I bet they arn't visible at all, so black would have been better. But eh.

That is what crossed my mind; at the first it looked like there are light bluish gray frames and now I see they are black...they are visible from bottom and front is visible if you open front hood...:wink:

So, diff is 2 parts, a gear and a housing. Also, there's 5 tan 12z gears in the set, I bet they all go inside the diff. It's got 120 degrees rotational symmetry, so that would fit just right.

Edited by mahjqa
I spel gud

looking at the new dif do we think that the wide end on the right engages the new 28 gea? (as that has a different moulding to the current idle gears) and the left hand can accept the current gears? Be nice to see it in more detail.

The new red gear seems to have the axle hole only half the width, which would make sense, since it has to accomodate the 12 tooth gear. I'm afraid it can't be engaged and used in gearboxes...

Edited by Zerobricks

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

The new red gear seems to have the axle hole only half the width, which would make sense, since it has to accomodate the 12 tooth gear. I'm afraid it can't be engaged and used in gearboxes...

Yes, and the diff can't work without the gear, so it is inferior to the old diff in a center diff application. Danm.

7 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Yes, and the diff can't work without the gear, so it is inferior to the old diff in a center diff application. Danm.

Who designed that?!

What keeps the rear axles from pulling out? Just friction? Probably bushings on them between liftarms.

Edited by Meatman

Called it; 5 12z gears inside the diff. 

Sadly, Lego's own Control+ app doesn't seem to be available for this model just yet.