Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 42109 - Top Gear Rally Car

On 11/20/2019 at 4:29 AM, Didumos69 said:

I don't think the red gear is a clutch gear.

I also no longer think the red gear assembly is a differential. I think it's a 3-speed RC gearbox. That would explain the 3 speeds in the control+ screenshot, it would explain the price and it would make it top-gear-collaboration worthy.

If it is a build-in 3-speed RC gearbox with that small amount of space, that would worth 100$.

I would pay for it.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:39 AM, Erik Leppen said:

Other than that, I'm really not a fan of a pre-assembled diff. I'm not a fan of pre-assembled anything, because that'd be exactly not the idea of Lego. Maybe it's a sign of the times and Lego just trying to get its share of a market where kids don't assemble things anymore, but I don't find it a good sign...

Agree, and also if it is pre-assembled that might also mean the parts inside would not be replaceable if it is broken or so how. Like the new wheel hub from 42099 

28 tooth idler clutch double bevel gear in red (x1 in 42109)
3Lx3L torsen or compact differential in dark bluish gray (x1 in 42109)

Okay, we can confirm that is just a normal differential not some crazy gearbox stuff(sad)

Source : General Part Discussion

I like it but now make it bigger! A larger scale would appeal more to me. The price is too high and it should have working front and rear lights, maybe some reflective stickers for night racing. However I am tempted to try and build my own version (when I can get the time).

H

On 11/21/2019 at 11:38 AM, Jurss said:

So, is soemthing more planned?

Who knows? Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Permo said:

"Jim knows, Jim will tell"  :innocent:

:laugh:

I can honestly say that I know as much (or as little) as you guys.

Just not feeling this set. It doesn’t look good completed and is too expensive to be a parts pack. White fenders are cool, heck even 1 red fender as well, plus a new diff and a bunch of stickers... just doesn’t justify the price point. I bet you can build a nicer car albeit in different colour, RC and all, for much less

16 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

It's available at Lego shop:

You have to be patient though. Shipping starts on the 26th of December.

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

It's available at Lego shop

Now for 140€ instead of the previous mentioned 130€... whoa...

Looking at the diff again, it seems to have ridges, so you can engage a gearbox catch inside. That would mean it can be locked and that it's probably a normal open diff and not a Torzen.

12 hours ago, Jim said:

Shipping starts on the 26th of December.

Stupid lego, Christmas will be over ...

On 11/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, SamuelYsc said:

Okay, we can confirm that is just a normal differential not some crazy gearbox stuff

That's not what I said.

I meant either a torsen differential or a compact 3x3 differential that connects to the red 28 tooth double bevel gear.

The regular, overused differential is really closer to 4x4x3 because of the gear ring itself.

Edited by SNIPE
trimming down huge posts which in itself contains quotes on phone is a major pain in the keister. it is near impossible.

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Looking at the diff again, it seems to have ridges, so you can engage a gearbox catch inside. That would mean it can be locked and that it's probably a normal open diff and not a Torzen.

I noticed that too. I wonder how open the differential is by default, also if it's not Torsen. If the bevel gears inside suffer from as much friction as the new portal hubs do, then the diff won't be really open by default. That would also make this new differential pretty useless in non-RC builds, just like the new portal hubs.

2 hours ago, PetSild said:

Friends, how many models at the same time can be operated on the Powered Up?

Currently only one, only the Control+ profile for the Liebherr set can control 2 Technic hubs but that's only working with that specific set. Theoretically you could control at least 5 devices simultaneously since you can create a network of 5 hubs with the train remote. We'll see the reality once the multi-hub support will be added to the app.

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

Currently only one, only the Control+ profile for the Liebherr set can control 2 Technic hubs but that's only working with that specific set. Theoretically you could control at least 5 devices simultaneously since you can create a network of 5 hubs with the train remote. We'll see the reality once the multi-hub support will be added to the app.

I would like to know more about this update for the app. I remember in the interview with Marcus that he said it would support up to 8 hubs, and it should be out before Christmas. Do we know now exactly when it's meant to be coming? 

Will it have servo support before Christmas? 

Will we be able to mix channels, for example set output "a" to run as a motor when either servo output "b","c" and/or "d" is moving (like when you want a compressor to run automatically in RC pneumatic models).

Will this update have the ability to make custom control layouts?

Will we be able to select different virtual controls, such as: Momentary push button, toggle/latching push button, slider, 3 position momentary rocker switch, 2 position toggle switch, 3 position toggle switch, horizontal joy stick, vertical joy stick, horizontal + vertical joystick, Joysticks with 3 position rocker switches on them, etc.

Will we have the ability to change how channels are mixed "on the fly". For example, lets say we have a crane with 3 steered axles (controlled via 3 servo motors) and we want to have several different steering modes. In the control layout editor we could have a horizontal joystick to steer and several latching push buttons (that we could link (interlock) so that selecting one turns the others off, so only one can be selected at a time, and the selected button lights up) or a simple 3 position toggle switch, and each push button or toggle switch position selects a different steering mode.

Will the options for motor and servo have their own sub options? For example for a servo motor can I set the range of motion (ie from 1/16 turn to 10 turns, with the ability to set a different amount of turns each side of the 0 position or something). For a motor can I choose the maximum torque (amps) and speed (frequency), and the ramp up/down time for that motor, for example, a conveyor might want no ramp up time so it starts instantly, the motor that slews a large superstructure could have a 2 or 3 second ramp up/down time to give the impression of weight and to eliminate jerky movement, and a helicopter rotor might have a ramp up/down time of 10 seconds to mimic the way a real helicopter slowly gets up to speed.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

@allanp we all want to know more but there's no additional information yet about the release date or what the update will bring to the app. Honestly I would not have very high expectations based on the previous updates and the gradual approach, so don't expect fully customisable controls, advanced combinations etc. Realistically I'm expecting a basic multi-hub support and support for the Technic hub and the L/XL motors with specific code blocks.

I'm sure the whole structure and concept will be the expansion of the current layout and code blocks that you can see in the Powered Up app. This means a visual programming approach, all actions and behaviors built with task-specific code blocks.

25 minutes ago, kbalage said:

@allanp we all want to know more but there's no additional information yet about the release date or what the update will bring to the app. Honestly I would not have very high expectations based on the previous updates and the gradual approach, so don't expect fully customisable controls, advanced combinations etc. Realistically I'm expecting a basic multi-hub support and support for the Technic hub and the L/XL motors with specific code blocks.

I'm sure the whole structure and concept will be the expansion of the current layout and code blocks that you can see in the Powered Up app. This means a visual programming approach, all actions and behaviors built with task-specific code blocks.

Thanks for your reply, I've sent you a PM so I don't derail this topic :classic:

I'm still a bit confused by the whole Top Gear thing. At the moment it seems so pointless, Just a few Stig and Top Gear stickers on the car, which add little or nothing. I wonder: is it possible that we don't have the full picture yet? For example, I can Imagine that the Control+ app will be expanded with Top Gear specific challenges, maybe linked to an online score board where you can compete with the Stig and celebrities or something similar?

5 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I'm still a bit confused by the whole Top Gear thing. At the moment it seems so pointless, Just a few Stig and Top Gear stickers on the car, which add little or nothing. I wonder: is it possible that we don't have the full picture yet? For example, I can Imagine that the Control+ app will be expanded with Top Gear specific challenges, maybe linked to an online score board where you can compete with the Stig and celebrities or something similar?

I don't think the top gear branding adds anything for us but from a marketing standpoint I think it might help increase the sales quite a bit. The British Top Gear is very popular world wide. Perhaps not as much as it used to be when it had the original trio (I haven't watched it since) but it's still popular. I think the only real confusion might be from buyers expecting a top gear product to be a model of something that actually appeared on the show. I suppose they could have made something like the rally car we have now but added some skirts and a fan to make it a hovervan, but then those features would be non functional and so pretty pointless, except to make it more expensive.

The TG license is purely brand promotion. There's nothing more to it.

Edited by Bartybum

15 hours ago, kbalage said:

Probably poorly asked, I wanted to know how many cars 42109 may be controlled independently at one place?

1 hour ago, PetSild said:

Probably poorly asked, I wanted to know how many cars 42109 may be controlled independently at one place?

Hopefully just one secured by password, otherwise someone could steel your car :grin:

On 11/24/2019 at 1:11 AM, Zerobricks said:

That also means you can attach a different size clutch gear to the diff. Hopefully the big gear isn't fixed to the diff :0

The width of the channels BT devices have their limits, as well as wifi, so I'm asking... LEGO not in the product specification.