Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 42109 - Top Gear Rally Car

Slowing it down may be good for driving with a touch screen device.  With the app-controlled Batmobile, I find I have to take my eyes off the Batmobile for a sec to see what control I'm tapping on the screen. 

I think this set would make a good sticker pack and/or PU part pack to build a Techball bot (like the app Batmobile).

Maybe i am late to the party but in the app on the box it looks like it has got 3 gears.

52 minutes ago, Henkl said:

Maybe i am late to the party but in the app on the box it looks like it has got 3 gears.

That gently reminds BuWizz's three modes for on-desc, indoor and outdoor drive (otherwise you're gonna crash the model driving too fast) :laugh:

I'll say as usual I have nothing important to add except a witty remark about how the car appears to drive itself at the 55-58 sec mark in the vid :laugh:

31 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Anybody else can't stand looking at that thing? It neither looks well nor drives well.

Related image

How will you be able to review it then :laugh:

12 hours ago, Jim said:

One thing could have turned this vehicle into a must-have for every fan.....the return of the Technic Figurine! The Stig!

If only Jim...

At what will be retail in NZ an $299NZD set even if local retailers do the standard 20% discount, its still a very expensive set for what it is..

And honestly it looks shite.... and I'm certainly one that rarely says or comments like that, so yes its bad folks...    

12 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I think everything will be sealed like 42099's hubs. Basically you stick the red gear on it and insert the axles. That's all.

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

but looking at this it seems like the Diff is somehow inside of the gear, which makes using smaller gears impossible :(

Could it be that even the red gear is pre-assembled to the differential housing making this one single piece? We have seen multicolored pre-assemblies before like thisthis or any of these and off course the new portal hub from 42099

30 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Could it be that even the red gear is pre-assembled to the differential housing making this one single piece?

I think that is the case. The diff house seems to be inserted into the gear, so if they were to be assembled, the house would attach with half pins, not full pins, into the gear. Or there would be pins sticking out the gear, but that would be odd too.

42109%20diff3.PNG

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

Anybody else can't stand looking at that thing? It neither looks well nor drives well.

I think it's mostly due to the audience. It's got to be sturdy because kids WILL bump into everything, and that doesn't help the looks. Colours seem mostly tame to me. 

And as for performance; it seems to be pretty much on par with the vehicles here, most of which are built by AFOLs unconstrained by the limitations that Lego has.

Price is still ridiculous, though.

43 minutes ago, mahjqa said:

Price is still ridiculous

I'm not so sure about that.
2 motors, a C+ hub and some expensive wheelhubs
That plus the retail that will go below 100 and maybe even <90

15 hours ago, rm8 said:

Lancia we deserved this year:laugh:

image.thumb.png.15a36bc9a879837537008661977afa5e.png

Serious: new diff, a lot of arches incuding white, app with AT and MT gearbox mode - a lot of fun?

Saw a sticker on the back of one of these that said - If you think this end’s ugly you should see the front! ?

Edited by grum64

39 minutes ago, aol000xw said:

Looking at the picture the gear looks.. painted?

42109%20diff3.PNG

It looks like its been made with a 3D printer could be they had to take shots of the prototype

I think the differential will come as a separate part (with internal gears) without any gear pre-assembled. Looking at the right part of the differential housing, you can clearly see that its side has the same shape as the transmission clutch ring.

Smart move by TLG I would say as we can now use the differential housing with any of the available clutch gears, 16z and 20z. I hope that the red gear will turn out to be a 28z clutch gear

1 hour ago, Cardboy said:

It looks like its been made with a 3D printer could be they had to take shots of the prototype

If that's the case they used a 200 dollar Ali Express 3D printer.

IF: They use 3D printers for prototyping it will be some high resolution machine that produces top products.
IF !!!