Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 42109 - Top Gear Rally Car

8 minutes ago, Aleh said:

But why did the put the rear wheels from the truck?

Bigger diameter => more speed? But I think the old tyres and rims would look better, but even if still available from LEGO, they most likely won't fit with the new XL and 36z gear between.

It looks interesting, but I will wait for discount.

P.S. They were able to keep this in secret until the official release. Did they improve so much in keeping secrets of our "leak agents" got out of practice? :)

Edited by keymaker

42109%20diff3.PNG

Preassembled differential body mated to a clutch 28 tooth gear. Should fit nicely in a 5x7 frame to mate with a 12 tooth gear.

Now I'm just wondering if it's a normal, or a Torsen differential...

3 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think there will be a task in the app that asks the player to drive this thing up the upper desk of the truck in 42098

It could be a challenge taking into account its oversized front bumper-spoiler.
As for me, it looks like a mini-version of 42077 made in 42098 / Corvette scale, but for a price... It's new Control+ and seem TLG relies on it very much, so that pricing may have some background idea.

4 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Now I'm just wondering if it's a normal, or a Torsen differential...

I think we will know that very soon, once some driving test or interview will come.

A torsen diff would be really cool, but i have my doubts. Is there any hint of this on the package?

This thing is really ugly. The worst thing is the front splitter that is bent upwards, therefore directing more air under the car, pruducing lift. 

I am always intrested in new Bricks tho

Edited by Gray Gear

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

If it were like 80€, this would actually be a great starter set, but 130€? Really?

I agree with that but give it some time and pick it up for a price far under 100 bucks.

52 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Preassembled differential body mated to a clutch 28 tooth gear. Should fit nicely in a 5x7 frame to mate with a 12 tooth gear.

That would be awesome. I doubt it will be a Torsen differential, because if it would suffer from the slightest friction, like the new portal hubs, it would not be an open differential by default.

2 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

all of the stickers

when you look at this particular picture it might be printed parts:
or they must have added the stickers in advance offcourse.
49079633696_468a4437cd_o.jpg

2 minutes ago, coinoperator said:

49079633696_468a4437cd_o.jpg

Look at the small black panel in the lower middle, that should anwer your question :)

Just now, Gray Gear said:

Look at the small black panel in the lower middle, that should anwer your question :)

I've seen that and that one is definitly a sticker..
front side spoolerpanels too
but they may have choosen for a mix, f.a. the round tiles 2x2 headlights look printed.

7 minutes ago, coinoperator said:

Yeah, they're definitely stickers. You can see the outline edges of them in the first post of this thread.

Edited by Meatman

On 11/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, coinoperator said:

It looks to me that front part is build on frame 7 x 11

Edited by I_Igor

Holy crap what an extremely ugly ride. Sorry for being negative, but this! -And the price!! How many stickers is it, 1 billion? 2 billions?! This must be the end of the Technic-theme.

Just now, Chilis said:

Holy crap what an extremely ugly ride. Sorry for being negative, but this! -And the price!! How many stickers is it, 1 billion? 2 billions?! This must be the end of the Technic-theme.

I just think it was (in mind of LEGO designers) cheapest way to introduce C+ in smaller set, but let's say like this - I'm not impressed with look either

One thing could have turned this vehicle into a must-have for every fan.....the return of the Technic Figurine! The Stig!

4 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Here's another screen:

42109%20diff2.PNG

Here's what I think we have:

A 28 TOOTH CLUCTH GEAR mated to

A 2 studs wide TORSEN DIFFERENTIAL which is preassembled like 42099 hubs

Now that would be an excellent idea. Instead of having only one size of diff you could have as many different sizes as you have clutch gears using the same diff. However this new diff may be I just hope it's much stronger than the last one. 

Price point and RC aside, I quite like the idea of this car. It's been a while since we had a small, simple, motorised car. I think the last one was in a universal set from 1993.

While the Top Gear branding may seem pretty useless to us, I'm fairly certain a lot of kids are going to go nuts over the Top Gear branding. Cos, ya know, kids! :laugh:

This would have been an excellent opportunity to introduce a super fast motor which sadly the PF line never had. It would be the PU FAF (powered up fast as f***) motor! 

Edited by allanp

Still given the number of parts and the price of comparable sets without PU  or PF, that puts de PU parts at 80€ and that isn't cost effective at all.

PU is overpriced in all its forms.

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

One thing could have turned this vehicle into a must-have for every fan.....the return of the Technic Figurine! The Stig!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What stands out to me is that Lego tries to boost sales of the smaller Powered Up sets by adding a license to it, just like the App-controlled Batmobile.

I'm curious about the new diff, but not curious enough to spend €130 on it on the first day.

I just hope the diff will allow for a better transmisson integrated center diff

New gear is cool

Rest does not matter