Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Brick-making factory

If the new Eslandolan settlement of Interlagos was going to grow, it needed a means of construction. The clay of the river banks and lake bed was well-suited for making bricks, so ballast bricks were taken from the expedition's ships to build a kiln.

The clay from the river bank was set into wooden molds, then deposited on beds of sand for drying.

02dry.jpg

Once thoroughly dry, the clay bricks were baked in the kiln for a week. The fire had to be tended constantly.

03kiln.jpg

Once cooled, the bricks were stacked and sorted, as some might be under-fired and other might be over-fired clinkers.

04stack.jpg

Thus the settlement’s first industry was established: a brick-making factory.

01full.jpg

Now brick buildings in Interlagos can be built easily.

-----------

A horribly over-simplified explanation and depiction of brick-making in colonial times, with some steps omitted for ease of building the MOC, but I am happy with how it turned out. All C&C welcome.

That kiln is lovely - but replacing the tan tiles with dark red would make it marvelous, critics of single-color structures be dashed. I also like the look of the shed. The base area is pretty plain; perhaps some tastefully arranged plates in similar colors would detail it nicely. But a solid build nonetheless.

A nice and clean build. I like the irregular base, the trees and ofc the oven.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, Professor Thaum said:

It turned really nice, indeed !

I like the oven !

Thanks! I was happy with how the kiln turned out, too.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, Captain Dee said:

That kiln is lovely - but replacing the tan tiles with dark red would make it marvelous, critics of single-color structures be dashed. I also like the look of the shed. The base area is pretty plain; perhaps some tastefully arranged plates in similar colors would detail it nicely. But a solid build nonetheless.

Thanks! I went with dark tan tiles around the edge of the kiln because oftentimes in real life the kiln would get coated with a layer of mud to help seal it. I still wanted a brick-red kiln, but this was a way I could suggest that element. And I agree the base is plain. I wasn't sure how to add more detail without distracting from the purpose of the build in this case. The feedback is appreciated!

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, Bodi said:

A nice and clean build. I like the irregular base, the trees and ofc the oven.

Thanks! It sounds like the kiln was a winner. :pir-grin:

Very nice little factory, I really like the use of dark red for the furnace!  

Nice one! 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, Capt Wolf said:

I wasn't sure how to add more detail without distracting from the purpose of the build in this case. The feedback is appreciated!

You can never go wrong with 1x1 round tiles posing as stones "irregularly" placed :laugh: