Sign in to follow this  
Polarlicht

[moc] Shay Class A geared Locomotive

I decided that i show my Shay Class A locomotive here because why not :) The original design in legoform was i think from Stephan Pakbaz.

I builded it about 4 1/2 years ago and it works fine and reliable since then. Its got a rechargeable battery, infrared sensor, 2 old lights and a small motor.

It ruined a couple of u-joints but thats TLGs fault for not making them strong enough :laugh:

It has one custom part for the crankshaft to angle the middle bit 90°, and the wheels have a custom painted silver ring.

49073775016_1b96eb84d2_c.jpg

49073978442_ca0f155561_c.jpg

49073975112_c56d2a1f75_c.jpg

49073236733_3320d6dcf1_c.jpg

49073234213_c3af90bc67_c.jpg

Sorry about those watermarks:innocent:

Edited by Coolusername

Been thinking about doing one of these (with that crankshaft design that's available on the web) for a while. The only thing is: I wouldn't the battery pack in a second car. A three truck shay might be able to fit it, though. Hmm.

Yeah, i tried a 3 truck version but it looked quite long and not right, so i stick with 2 truck 2 cylinder. Maybe try 8 studs wide, and maybe try the rare 2 cylinder 3 trucks version...

Edited by Coolusername

Yes, this is Stephan's design. This was his entry into the 2014 Railbricks building contest. It won first place in the locomotive category. That was pretty much the last thing that Railbricks did as they ceased publication right after announcing the winners. I won third place (and a T-shirt) for my third place finish for a water tower. I contacted Stephan and he graciously sent me his LDD file on the train and I built it in the fall of 2014. You can see it here along with my water tower on my very first public layout in the February of 2015...5 years ago already!

15983644754_414774d42b_b_d.jpg

Here is a link to Stephans Flickr page:

SHAY_20141214-01

And another logging train with an awesome Barnhart log-loader:

Edited by ecmo47

I think this is another fine example of a great base design that we can make our own very sharp looking loco ... Do you have photos of your three truck attempts?

Haha thanks for link ecmo47 ... Still need to get around to building that lol